PDA

View Full Version : Plaque Off-Worth it?

Nancyrose
09-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Has anyone used that Plaque Off stuff (I think it's ProDen manufactured). Not liquid, but the one put into food. I don't want to waste more money on stuff that really is not useful. I think I read someone recommend it on the forum, I forget, but it was just recently, but I got the impression it was for water. Willie needs to keep her teeth tarter free and I keep buying all this stuff and anything that I have to shove a brush or anything into her mouth does not work, so I thought if you put this stuff in their food and she'll eat it maybe that would help. Any thoughts? Thanks.

DianeP
09-29-2009, 08:42 PM
I've never heard of it, but it'd be great if it did work!

Ellen
09-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I never heard of it either. I have tried the stuff you put in their drinking water and my cats would not drink the water.

I believe Dr. Gus said that Science Diet Oral Care cat food was a good product. It removed plaque and tarter from my cats teeth.

Ellen

GailS
09-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Hills does make a special prescription food (t/d) for cats who have special dental needs.

I've been lucky, I've got all my cats trained to get the c.e.t. paste (only paste worth using, as it has to be an enzymatic paste, and that is the c.e.t.) rubbed on their teeth every night.

Nancy, I don't use a brush, just my finger. Even Mazy allows it, now.

If you start very slow and gradual with the training you might have success. I wrote out my methods a while back,

Here's the link:

http://www.thepetsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19321

to answer your question, I've never heard of the plaque off.

Gail

GailS
09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
here is the link to the plaque off website. I guess it's made with seaweed. I'm skeptical.

http://www.plaqueoff.com/proden_plaqueoff_animal/proden_plaqueoff_animal.htm

Nancyrose
09-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I will check it out. How do you know it works? You say it removed the plaque. Does everyone on the forum brush their cats teeth? I am at a loss here as to what to do with Willie. I have to clean her teeth, but she will not cooperate. How do all of you with stomatitis cats get their teeth free of bacteria? also, how often is brushing under anesthesia suggested for these cats? I read every few months, but that is so expensive and you have to put them under for it which is not good so often.

calicokitty
09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Two of my cats have a problem, but they won't even let me get near them with the CET toothpaste. I have used CET chews with fairly good success, although some of them don't like them.

Suzi was the last cat who had to have extensive dental work. The vet cleaned her teeth, extracted several, and then applied a sealant. That has been effective for quite a few years now.

My current vet is high about some tartar control foods, although I just stocked up on my regular kibble, and since they have been on only one major food for all these years, I have my concerns about changing.

Nancyrose
09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Gail,
I bought the cet and I have been able to get it into her mouth a bit. I have not stuck my finger in yet, but all this was before I read your post. I will try your way. She doesn't seem to love the taste, but she likes it enough. The thing is, she still has very red gums and I think it may hurt having any rubbing at all. Even though she is on the cyclo her gums still are very red and they must hurt some. You say just getting it in her mouth is good so I will do my best with that for now. Thank you so much. Your method is good.

Nancyrose
09-30-2009, 09:40 AM
here is the link to the plaque off website. I guess it's made with seaweed. I'm skeptical.

http://www.plaqueoff.com/proden_plaqueoff_animal/proden_plaqueoff_animal.htm

I will work with the CET Gail, sorry I posted before I was done before. I also have a spray recommended by Dr.Gus (the ingredient was recommended, not the spray) but I thought the spray might be more gentle since not touching her mouth directly. I guess all of this is better than doing nothing even if some gets in. Thanks.

Nancyrose
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=calicokitty;210084]Two of my cats have a problem, but they won't even let me get near them with the CET toothpaste. I have used CET chews with fairly good success, although some of them don't like them.

Suzi was the last cat who had to have extensive dental work. The vet cleaned her teeth, extracted several, and then applied a sealant. That has been effective for quite a few years now.

So far no extractions, she is still pretty young and I keep hoping to clear this mess up. What is a sealant? I mean, I know what it is, but what does it do and how does it work it this case? I will also get some CET chews. I have multiple dental type treats, but CET seems to be the way to go according to most people as far as a brand. I'll take any help I can get with Willie. She is the most nervous of cats.

calicokitty
09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
CET chews come in two flavors. Fish and poultry. They are like a tan Tootsie Roll, but they are abrasive to chew.

The sealant was, as I understand, the same as your dentist might apply to your kids teeth. I suppose it is fluoride based.

DrGus
09-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Some random thoughts:

1) I checked out the website (thx for the link!) and it sounds like a waste of money.

2) CET AquaDent and BreathaLyser Plus are forms of Chlorhexidine you mix with their drinking water so they treat their own mouths without your intervention. We have had a variety of other forms available to us, including sprays, rub-on gel, an oral patch, and a squirter, but any time you have to do something to a cat compliance becomes an issue for both cat and parent. The water additives and the CET chews are the only forms we use now.

3) The sealant isn't really a sealant, although we usually call it that, it is a high tech polymer that makes the surface of the tooth incredibly slippery and thereby inhibiting the attachment of plaque. Very helpful if one remembers to refresh it weekly.

ZooGirl02
09-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Some random thoughts:

1) I checked out the website (thx for the link!) and it sounds like a waste of money.

2) CET AquaDent and BreathaLyser Plus are forms of Chlorhexidine you mix with their drinking water so they treat their own mouths without your intervention. We have had a variety of other forms available to us, including sprays, rub-on gel, an oral patch, and a squirter, but any time you have to do something to a cat compliance becomes an issue for both cat and parent. The water additives and the CET chews are the only forms we use now.

3) The sealant isn't really a sealant, although we usually call it that, it is a high tech polymer that makes the surface of the tooth incredibly slippery and thereby inhibiting the attachment of plaque. Very helpful if one remembers to refresh it weekly.

Oooh, I couldn't imagine Precious tolerating an oral patch! What cat would want a patch inside their mouth???

GailS
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Gail,
I bought the cet and I have been able to get it into her mouth a bit. I have not stuck my finger in yet, but all this was before I read your post. I will try your way. She doesn't seem to love the taste, but she likes it enough. The thing is, she still has very red gums and I think it may hurt having any rubbing at all. Even though she is on the cyclo her gums still are very red and they must hurt some. You say just getting it in her mouth is good so I will do my best with that for now. Thank you so much. Your method is good.

You're welcome, Nancy. Yes, my vet told me that just getting the c.e.t. into the cat's mouth is beneficial. Direct contact with the teeth is best of course, but if you can get some in every day, it's a start.

I don't really rub hard. Just kind of swipe the paste onto the teeth.

Keep us posted!

Gail

Nancyrose
10-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Some random thoughts:

Dr. Gus,
Does the cat have to be put under anesthesia to put on the sealant? Why would my vet not suggest putting this on? Should I suggest it? Also, since she seems to shy away from the water with the stuff in it I will probably use the spray since at least I know it is getting on the teeth. Is it just as good as water additive? I have water bowls all over the house and a finiky 18 year old who loves to drink and has urinary problems if she stops, so I am afraid to add it to all the water in the house and they all drink all over. I know there is one room that only Willie goes in to drink recently (she used to drink in my room only, but the falling balls from the trees on the greenhouse roof scared her to death and she literally won't enter my room anymore (any suggestions there? she used to sleep with me and I miss her...she won't even come in the room cause of the falling balls. Hopefully when fall ends here in NJ she will return).Anyway, I could add the stuff to her water where she drinks mostly now (in another bedroom) or use the spray if you think it is just as good. Is there a special brand of spray? I have Pet Dental by Four Paws which uses chlordexidrine Gluconate 0.12%, cetylpridinium chloride 0.05% and zinc gluconate 0.05%.If there is a better brand, please let me know. Does CET make one? Thanks again for your invaluable help with Willie.

Nancyrose
10-01-2009, 08:40 AM
You're welcome, Nancy. Yes, my vet told me that just getting the c.e.t. into the cat's mouth is beneficial. Direct contact with the teeth is best of course, but if you can get some in every day, it's a start.

I don't really rub hard. Just kind of swipe the paste onto the teeth.

Keep us posted!

Gail

I put some on last night but her poor gums look so red and she backs away so either she is in pain or just being uncooperative. They do not look worse, just still red. I asked Dr. Gus if CET makes a spray (I'll look on the internet also). I can also try the water additive again if I can get it into a bowl that just Willie drinks. My old cat needs to drink cause of urinary issues she is prone to and doesn't like the taste. She cried at 2:00 pm last night and I had to get up and just pat her to make her go back to sleep. She is getting very needy lately, but she is over 100 in human years I guess so no wonder she's cranky and probably getting a bit demented also. I have read there is a cat equivalent to Alzeheimers so maybe....I need to make an appt. for her at the vet too, but they need to treat her so gently and sometimes they don't. Her back legs are very wobbly now and the last thing I want is for them to injure her accidentally in any way. Also, her stress level goes way up and the urinary thing comes with stress. Who would have every thought I would end up thinking going to a breeder would give me a good healthy cat and I ended up with more trouble than I have ever had with any cat in my long years of cat owning (poor Willie), but I love her too much to put her down for just bad gums unless she is in so much pain she has no quality of life. I will keep working at it and try to relax. I already have to take something to relax me because of so much stress. I don't know how to put things in perspective or something. Thanks for all your patience and I'm sorry if I repeat myself sometimes. I post alot and I forget what I have said sometimes.
Nancy

DrGus
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Dr. Gus,
Does the cat have to be put under anesthesia to put on the sealant? Why would my vet not suggest putting this on? Should I suggest it? Also, since she seems to shy away from the water with the stuff in it I will probably use the spray since at least I know it is getting on the teeth. Is it just as good as water additive? I have water bowls all over the house and a finiky 18 year old who loves to drink and has urinary problems if she stops, so I am afraid to add it to all the water in the house and they all drink all over. I know there is one room that only Willie goes in to drink recently (she used to drink in my room only, but the falling balls from the trees on the greenhouse roof scared her to death and she literally won't enter my room anymore (any suggestions there? she used to sleep with me and I miss her...she won't even come in the room cause of the falling balls. Hopefully when fall ends here in NJ she will return).Anyway, I could add the stuff to her water where she drinks mostly now (in another bedroom) or use the spray if you think it is just as good. Is there a special brand of spray? I have Pet Dental by Four Paws which uses chlordexidrine Gluconate 0.12%, cetylpridinium chloride 0.05% and zinc gluconate 0.05%.If there is a better brand, please let me know. Does CET make one? Thanks again for your invaluable help with Willie.

The teeth need to be clean and dry for the sealant to be applied.

CET makes a rinse that can be squirted in the mouth for pets who won't drink the treated water (and water consumption is critical as you know).

http://www.virbacvet.com/cet/products/category/oral_rinses/

You can also buy straight chlorhexidine solution (unscented bec the scented stuff tastes awful) in a gallon or smaller quantities from your vet and dilute 1 part concentrate to 9 parts distilled water, use that as a mouth rinse or spray (mix up a small amount each day for use). The solution is for sterilizing stainless steel tables, etc., but it is the same active ingredient and that is how we used it before there were any commercially available oral forms of chlorhexidine.