Right or wrong to intervene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right or wrong to intervene?

I'm not sure that rescuing elephants in the wild is usually a proper topic for a pet forum (!) but I saw this today in a British Tabloid paper and thought others might be interested.

It concerns the rescue of two elephants on the flats of the Kapani Lagoon, Zambia.
    Conservation workers from the South Luangwa Conservation Society (and I think elsewhere too) abandoned their usual policy of not interfering with nature to mount a very timely rescue.

I am very glad they did. See more at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-workers.html

Surely no one could have stood by and let nature take its course in a situation like this?

Patrick

Only someone with no heart could allow a mother and baby to perish in such a ghastly way.
    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

I wouldn't have been able to stand by and watch either.
      sigpic

Comment

Of course they did the right thing. I always think that if somone could help,then they should. We're all here to help each other, not to stand by and watch and call it fate.

What a heartwarming story.
        Jill Gallo /Manager
        The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

If you saw the movie Winged Migration, you may remember the weakened birds who flew over the Med. Sea, and arrived on the shores too exhausted to move and were then shown eaten by crabs. Didn't happen. The filmmakers rescued the birds, and put in fake birds made out of other meats, etc. Another scene where it appeared a bird was mired down in industrial oils. Also didn't happen. Real bird, fake oil. But if you didn't watch the DVD and the supplemental info, you wouldn't have known. Also, the bird wing flapping was by a choral group.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
            I'm not sure that rescuing elephants in the wild is usually a proper topic for a pet forum (!) but I saw this today in a British Tabloid paper and thought others might be interested.

It concerns the rescue of two elephants on the flats of the Kapani Lagoon, Zambia.
            Conservation workers from the South Luangwa Conservation Society (and I think elsewhere too) abandoned their usual policy of not interfering with nature to mount a very timely rescue.

I am very glad they did. See more at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-workers.html

Surely no one could have stood by and let nature take its course in a situation like this?

Patrick
            This story was on CNN today. I think all threatened or endangered species should be rescued not matter what the policy. It drives me nuts when I see a nature program that shows an animal in distress and the videographers just standing by and filming it's demise.

Sally
            Sally, Horses staff

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SLSparrell View Post
              This story was on CNN today. I think all threatened or endangered species should be rescued not matter what the policy. It drives me nuts when I see a nature program that shows an animal in distress and the videographers just standing by and filming it's demise.

Sally
              Me too, Sally. There's just no excuse for that.
              Jill Gallo /Manager
              The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by SLSparrell View Post

Sally
                Same here. The only exception is if it's one animal hunting another - I just don't know what should be done then, as the predators deserve to eat, too. And while they could say "well, the elephants would be eaten by scavengers", I just can't handle the idea of letting a baby animal perish when it's not necessary. Especially when it's something like an elephant, where their numbers just aren't that great.

-Mary
                Mary
                ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

Working...
                X