Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danish Zoo Puts Down Healthy Young Giraffe - Headsup - Disturbing article and photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish Zoo Puts Down Healthy Young Giraffe - Headsup - Disturbing article and photo

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/wo...it_th_20140210
    Karen A/Publicist

It's beyond disgusting, but our zoo does the same thing, overbreeding and euthanizing. They used to breed only when the Species Survival Plan called for it, then they couldn't get a lot of rare species any more. That's when they decided to let the farm animals breed, but dispose of the young after they weren't cute any more. The worst part was that they didn't even use the chickens, colts, calves etc. as feed--they threw them away. They can't figure out why no one wants to be a zoo member these days.

Comment

It's clear that they knew before it was born that they weren't going to be able to keep it as part of their herd, so I have to question why they even let the mother carry it to term? It's also equally clear that the zoo needs to hire a public relations person and listen to him or her before they pull any more stunts like this.
      Eliyahu Rooff

Comment

I was so upset by the article I dithered over whether to post it. I finally decided that it was right to let people know about this so they could respond to it if they wished by writing to that zoo.
        Karen A/Publicist

Comment

I saw that in our morning paper..just disgusting. And feeding it to the lions in front if kids? Where did these people lose their brains?
          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

What idiots. First off - you never NAME something you've let live only to use it as a food source later. People get less concerned about "Giraffe 157" being killed. But Marius is a cute name for what was probably a cute baby - who knows, they could have even had a "name the baby giraffe" contest or something when it was born, which would have made things even worse.

Then the autopsy in PUBLIC??? NOOO. BAD IDEA. You don't slice and dice in front of children unless it's behind closed doors, invitation-only to science classes above grade 8!! Those kids in the picture were too little for that.

And to feed it to the lions in front of people? That's just wrong - people don't want to see a critter with a name get eaten. Anonymous sides of beef - that's OK, because it doesn't have a name, no one remembers feeding it leaves or taking pictures of it just last week. You're just asking to traumatize people!!!

If it's genes were surplus, what about sending it to another zoo, there were offers????

What a waste of a good animal - that scientific director needs to really think about the messages they're sending to the public with this.

-Mary
            Mary
            ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

Now they have killed lions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/27/wo...src=recpb&_r=0
              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

I'm not sure how contraception ruins animals' lives. "Expressing normal sexual behavior..." There are contraceptive implants for that. It's also possible to vasectomize males rather than neuter them if there's a good reason to do so.

That zoo needs to Go Away.

Comment

Originally posted by BeckyMorgan View Post
                  I'm not sure how contraception ruins animals' lives. "Expressing normal sexual behavior..." There are contraceptive implants for that. It's also possible to vasectomize males rather than neuter them if there's a good reason to do so.

That zoo needs to Go Away.
                  The Danish certainly feel that way, Becky. And so do I. I was truly shocked to read the follow-up article and I wonder what sort of people run that zoo. If it were people they were killing that way they would not get away with it.
                  Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Working...
                  X