Rescue of a Box Turtle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescue of a Box Turtle

Thought you might like to see this picture. Last Tuesday we were coming home from our dentist appt. when my husband quickly braked the car. He jumped out and picked up a small box turtle in the road. It had been hit by a car but was still alive. His shell was broken and somewhat displaced. We got him home and worked the shell back together and taped it with the first thing we thought of -- duct tape. It's now Sunday and he/she is doing quite well. For the first few days it wouldn't open it's eyes but now is walking around the aquarium, pooped okay yesterday and seems to be nibbling on some food. We tried earthworms as food but they dried up before he ate them. The big glob is box turtle food from a can. Some nibbles on that. We have a light on a timer to give him 14 hours of full spectrum light (sorry Pierre the African grey parrot, the light is needed for the little guy). And he gets soaked in water in the morning and then in diluted chlorhexidine to give some antibacterial treatment. So far so good. He's looking better every day.

Linda

box-turtle.jpg

Originally posted by LindaD View Post
    Thought you might like to see this picture. Last Tuesday we were coming home from our dentist appt. when my husband quickly braked the car. He jumped out and picked up a small box turtle in the road. It had been hit by a car but was still alive. His shell was broken and somewhat displaced. We got him home and worked the shell back together and taped it with the first thing we thought of -- duct tape. It's now Sunday and he/she is doing quite well. For the first few days it wouldn't open it's eyes but now is walking around the aquarium, pooped okay yesterday and seems to be nibbling on some food. We tried earthworms as food but they dried up before he ate them. The big glob is box turtle food from a can. Some nibbles on that. We have a light on a timer to give him 14 hours of full spectrum light (sorry Pierre the African grey parrot, the light is needed for the little guy). And he gets soaked in water in the morning and then in diluted chlorhexidine to give some antibacterial treatment. So far so good. He's looking better every day.

Linda

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14826[/ATTACH]
    God Bless you, Linda, that's a great thing. We used to give the turtles raw ground meat too. If I remember correctly, they also liked bananas. I wouldn't have known how to get the shell back together. I ran one across the street a few years ago. It was on a busy street and a bus was coming. I got it before it got hit though.

Beautiful creature.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

That is a beautiful turtle. I don't blame you for changing tense (he, she, it) in your story - how would you tell what its gender is? Great rescue. Are you going to make a little pond for it?
      Karen A/Publicist

Comment

What a beautiful turtle. I'm so glad you were able to help him/her. I love the box turtles.

I used to have box turtles that came in my yard every summer but I haven't seen them this year. I used to feed them tomatoes and Fancy Feast.

Comment

Lucky turtle that it was found by someone who knew what to do...I would not have had a clue. Are you going to keep it?
          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Diane, there is no way I'd keep a turtle. It's wild and should go back outside if and when it is able.

Bad news yesterday, though. I took the duct tape off to take a look at him and discovered maggots in the wound! UGH, I hate those things but I spent hours yesterday flooding the wound with saline and picking the maggots out. He still looks bright eyed, but this is too much for me to handle. I've got to find a rehabber to help. He's active and loves his water soaks in the morning. But I don't know enough about turtles to do the right thing for him. But the only turtle rehabber I can find is in Delaware. Don't know if she will take him.

Linda

Comment

Diane, there is no way I'd keep a turtle. It's wild and should go back outside if and when it is able.

Bad news yesterday, though. I took the duct tape off to take a look at him and discovered maggots in the wound! UGH, I hate those things but I spent hours yesterday flooding the wound with saline and picking the maggots out. He still looks bright eyed, but this is too much for me to handle. I've got to find a rehabber to help. He's active and loves his water soaks in the morning. But I don't know enough about turtles to do the right thing for him. But the only turtle rehabber I can find is in Delaware. Don't know if she will take him.

Linda
              Good luck, Linda. I hope you find somewhere that will take him.
              Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

I surely hope she will take the poor guy. How about a local zoo?
                Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Linda
                  I didn't realize he was wild..I thought maybe someone's escaped pet. Maybe you could contact the person in Delaware to tell you what to do. In my understanding, maggots are not necessarily bad... They eat up the infection. But they're very gross. Good luck! Maybe Dr. Gus can give you some advice, if he's around.
                  Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Hi Linda,

Whatever happened to the turtle you found?

I saw a box turtle in my yard yesterday. I have to feed everything that comes into my yard so I got a can of Fancy Feast and he loved it. I used to have a pair of turtles that came in my yard every summer but I have not seen them in years.

Ellen

Comment

Ellen: Thanks for asking. I released the turtle on our land later in the summer. We have a lot of box turtles showing up here so I'm not sure I'll see him again. I'm hoping he made it through the winter.

Interesting that they love Fancy Feast. Kitty crack becomes Turtle crack!

Linda

Comment

Ellen: Thanks for asking. I released the turtle on our land later in the summer. We have a lot of box turtles showing up here so I'm not sure I'll see him again. I'm hoping he made it through the winter.

Interesting that they love Fancy Feast. Kitty crack becomes Turtle crack!

Linda
                        Maybe I should start eating it too, if it's that good.
                        Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Linda & Jill,

I saw on a website yesterday that box turtles should be fed dog food and vegetables. They did not mention feeding them cat food. Oh well. I don't have any dog food so Fancy Feast will have to do.

Ellen

Comment

Awwww.. Its so sad to the turtle in that condition.. Get well little turtle..

Comment

Working...
                            X