Not a cat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a cat!

I know I usually post cat pictures but this is different. i am currently working at a large metropolitan hospital upgrading their cardiology systems. On my way in today there was a large crowd gathered by the main entrance. A very large owl was perched in a tree an a bunch of crows were going berzerk trying to chase it away. The owl just didn’t care. Totally unexpected as this is an inner city facility and one wouldn’t expect wildlife there....well except for the koi stealing otter.
    The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Hoo cares if you post a photo of a large, dignified owl
    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by KarenA View Post
      Hoo cares if you post a photo of a large, dignified owl
      Lol, I don’t give a hoot!
      The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

That owl is much braver then our local hawks. Quite often I have witnessed the crows chase off hawks trying to hunt our pasture. Those crows can sure make a lot of noise.

Comment

Nice catch. Looks like a Barred Owl https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/overview which would not be expected in such an urban setting.
          sigpic

Comment

It is a Barred owl. Apparently voles are a local pest and they happen to be #1 on this guys menu. The community garden down the street are his biggest fans. I have seen the local crows regularly chase off bald eagles. This owl seems unperturbed. According to the website I checked, the Barred owl is considered an invasive species around here. Maybe thats why the crows are so upset. I have video with the racket they were making but the forum won’t let me post it.

Comment

Its back here today although he did switch trees. A very interesting critter. The crows seem to have given up for now. He is amazingly tolerant of noise. Some guy with a leaf blower is making more noise than the crows did yesterday but the owl doesn't care.

Comment

These dsys you can find wildlife anywhere because of the loss of habitat in the wild. I’m glad they can adapt.
                Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

That's an awesome shot.
                  Jill Gallo /Manager
                  The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Mark: can you post that on FB?
                    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by KarenA View Post
                      Mark: can you post that on FB?
                      It is on FB.
                      Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo View Post

It is on FB.
                        Yes, i posted it on the lower mainland raptors group page and on my own page. An interesting study in how things go viral. It has had a hundred likes on the raptors page and over 150 shares. I followed a few of the shares. One had 500 likes and several hundred shares. From there I lost count. The irony is that it is a crappy photo taken with my old iPhone 6 at maximum zoom. I admit that the subject matter is compelling and the composition is not bad. It is a good lesson about how the camera you have with you is the best camera. How expensive it is is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by MW&MW View Post

Yes, i posted it on the lower mainland raptors group page and on my own page. An interesting study in how things go viral. It has had a hundred likes on the raptors page and over 150 shares. I followed a few of the shares. One had 500 likes and several hundred shares. From there I lost count. The irony is that it is a crappy photo taken with my old iPhone 6 at maximum zoom. I admit that the subject matter is compelling and the composition is not bad. It is a good lesson about how the camera you have with you is the best camera. How expensive it is is irrelevant.
                          It was a great shot. I'm glad so many people are enjoying it.
                          Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Working...
                          X