Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When your dog gets ahold of human food...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When your dog gets ahold of human food...

    My boyfriend is a dog owner who does not ever give his dog any human food at all. A few days ago, I brought my boyfriend a large piece of frosted lemon cake, his favorite. His dog got a hold of it while we weren't looking and ate the entire thing- we're lucky he didn't eat the plastic bag it was in. What would you do in a situation like this? He was going to give him medicine to prevent sickness but forgot, and nothing bad happened. The possibility of the dog getting very sick makes it kinda scary if something like this happens.

    Once, my chihuahua broke into our pantry and ate ten Hershey's bars. She was perfectly fine, but chocolate could kill some dogs- especially a 7 ponder!

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Lemon shouldn't hurt him or her, beyond maybe upsetting his stomach, unless the dog is very small. There's an off chance the frosting could be fatty enough to irritate the dog's pancreas, but I haven't heard of that happening from cake. (A dog we knew got pancreatitis from eating an entire opossum. Yes, the whole thing, by himself. That's much more fatty and very different.)

    If it isn't macadamia nuts, raisins or large quantities of garlic, onion or chocolate, it's probably all right. Of course, if he looks or acts sick, call the vet.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jimmyjjohn View Post
      My boyfriend is a dog owner who does not ever give his dog any human food at all. A few days ago, I brought my boyfriend a large piece of frosted lemon cake, his favorite. His dog got a hold of it while we weren't looking and ate the entire thing- we're lucky he didn't eat the plastic bag it was in. What would you do in a situation like this? He was going to give him medicine to prevent sickness but forgot, and nothing bad happened. The possibility of the dog getting very sick makes it kinda scary if something like this happens.

      Once, my chihuahua broke into our pantry and ate ten Hershey's bars. She was perfectly fine, but chocolate could kill some dogs- especially a 7 ponder!

      Thanks!
      Just keep an eye on him. The worst that will probably happen is that he'll get diarrhea. Dogs are notorious table surfers and if you leave something where they can reach it they might go for a bite, or the whole cake. My last dog ate most of a 7 layer chocolate cake and was fine Considering the name, the cake wasn't that chocolatey and truthfully none of us really liked it that much. Still, we didn't intend for her to eat it . She was fine.
      Jill Gallo /Manager
      The Petsforums Management Team

      My Albums

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, when it comes to counter-surfing, some dogs are notorious for it!! But unless you're into dark chocolate or baker's chocolate, a little won't hurt MOST dogs.

        And lemon bars, well, I'd keep an eye on his bowel movements for a few days, but otherwise would expect him to be fine!!

        Some dogs are just dreadful about it - a friend of mine had a yellow lab that would steal any food he could find from anywhere. And non-food items. I can't count the number of times she had to either take him to the vet immediately or induce vomiting in that dog because he ate something serious or downright poisonous (including rat poison). Another person, a former co-worker, was eventually told by several of us at work "So, why do you leave ANYTHING on your counters when you leave?" after two incidents of unbaked loaves of bread that were left rising on the counters and eaten by the dog, medication gotten into and eaten by the dog, steaks gotten into and eaten by the dog..... all in a period of about six months. Some dogs never learn - the trick is sometimes we humans have to learn ways to outsmart them!!

        So to outsmart them... I look to obstacles first. So plastic containers rather than baggies, or put the food out of reach or in the fridge. I have actually taken to putting most of my food into the cabinets or closets, or if it needs to stay on the counter, it goes as far back as possible, and is stored in as air-tight of a container as I can use for it. Mine don't counter-surf, but only because I make sure to crate them when I leave the house while they're young (and don't know the rules), put food away or far back on the counter, and have supervised them as much as possible until they know the rule. I still don't trust Elsie with food that's open and on the counter - she'll ignore bags of chips, but will I leave a plate of food unwatched? OH no, that will be beyond her self-control still!! But the older dog, Sadie, would never dream to break that rule of not touching plates of food, but then, I also don't leave anything to tempt her out on tables throughout the house - she would eventually be tempted, I'm sure!

        Hope this helps!
        Mary
        -------------------------------- Mary with Sadie , Elsie , Peaches & James

        Comment


        • #5
          Our dogs love to eat our food too. We give them little bits sometimes and that's about it. But we're always careful with the kind of food we give him. My mother is very strict on it though.
          We are a group of the best Mobile Dog Groomers in Adelaide!

          Comment


          • #6
            My dog used to eat dog food but there are times that I can't resist giving him what I eat especially if he's giving me that look. These are dog approved table foods that you can give them:

            Cooked Chiken- This can be a good meal replacement if dog food is not available.

            Peanut butter - It is rich in Vitamin B, E and also good for the heart.

            Cheese- It is also good if your dog is not lactose intolerant.
            Eggs
            Salmot = It is a good source of Omega 3 fatty acid.
            Green beans
            Pumpkin
            and carrots.

            You can give them these foods in a small amounts and look for sort of reaction. Consult with your vet with any question or you can reach out.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, most every breed of dogs can eat human foods which are safe for dogs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by petsforall11 View Post
                Yes, most every breed of dogs can eat human foods which are safe for dogs.
                With the exception of a few things. Grapes, raisins, garlic and onions, and chocolate are not good for dogs, just to name a few.
                Jill Gallo /Manager
                The Petsforums Management Team

                My Albums

                Comment

                Working...
                X