Bye bye Big Blue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye bye Big Blue

This morning I found my Big Blue, a cordon bleu finch on the bottom of the cage dead. Yesterday he was hopping around, very active. Big Blue was purchased in 2003 along with his mate. That's right, he was at least 14 years old, probably 15. That's an ancient finch and he showed little sign of slowing down at that age.

I now have only one Gouldian finch left and he's from 2006, my breeding and will be 12 years old at the beginning of next year. That too is ancient for a Gouldian as they live normally 5-8 years. These were the last 2 of my finches after I stopped breeding. I raised a number of Cordon Bleus, hand feeding newly hatched chicks many times as my situation wasn't conducive for the parents to actively raise their own. And at one time I had 165 finches, mainly Gouldian of various color varieties that I sold for pets. But in 2010 I decided to stop breeding and I began the dispersal process, selling the youngsters and some of the breeding pairs. I kept the older birds to live out their lives here. And now I'm down to the one Gouldian and he's not well. It's the end of a major aspect of my life after retirement and I miss the greetings every morning of birds chirping in my aviary. I've considered getting more, but all the breeders I knew before have also stopped breeding. I knew who to trust and who not to.

Linda

I'm sorry for that loss. Have you recorded any of your finches to provide you with morning songs?
    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Karen: No, I hadn't recorded any of the songs. Big Blue had a marvelous song and maybe I'll download some from the internet to play. His was big, loud and melodious. The Gouldians have a very soft song and you have to listen closely for a single bird. But a group of them could really turn on a room. I miss their songs but it was a LOT of work to keep them safe, happy and healthy. We are trying to downsize so I'm not sure if we will get any more birds. In addition to the one Gouldian, I've got an amazon parrot named Herbie. He's LOUD.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by LindaD View Post
        This morning I found my Big Blue, a cordon bleu finch on the bottom of the cage dead. Yesterday he was hopping around, very active. Big Blue was purchased in 2003 along with his mate. That's right, he was at least 14 years old, probably 15. That's an ancient finch and he showed little sign of slowing down at that age.

I now have only one Gouldian finch left and he's from 2006, my breeding and will be 12 years old at the beginning of next year. That too is ancient for a Gouldian as they live normally 5-8 years. These were the last 2 of my finches after I stopped breeding. I raised a number of Cordon Bleus, hand feeding newly hatched chicks many times as my situation wasn't conducive for the parents to actively raise their own. And at one time I had 165 finches, mainly Gouldian of various color varieties that I sold for pets. But in 2010 I decided to stop breeding and I began the dispersal process, selling the youngsters and some of the breeding pairs. I kept the older birds to live out their lives here. And now I'm down to the one Gouldian and he's not well. It's the end of a major aspect of my life after retirement and I miss the greetings every morning of birds chirping in my aviary. I've considered getting more, but all the breeders I knew before have also stopped breeding. I knew who to trust and who not to.

Linda
        Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. He went quickly, but he was happy right up until the end.
        Jill Gallo /Manager
        The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

I'm so sorry. Be they bird, cat, or dog, they're loving friends all. (hugs)

Yazza
          Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
          I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
          NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
          I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about Big Blue. It's hard to lose our little feathered friends. Hugs!
            Marci DeLisle
            Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
            Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
            Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
            Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
            www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

I realized something this morning. My finches are/were the oldest of any of my pets. I see my Gouldian sulking in the corner where I found Big Blue. They used to cuddle together as birds commonly do. He misses his buddy.

Comment

Oh, that's so sad. It's an end of an era for you, and the little guy sounds like he's lonely. I'm so sorry you lost Big Blue.
                Mary
                ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

Iím so sorry, Linda. Life changes take some getting used to. Iím sad for your remaining finch who seems to br mourning.
                  Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss. Our condolences
                    The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Aww. Finches are so darned cute and it's awful to lose any pet, especially after a great long life.
                      Is there such a thing as finch rescue to give your other little guy some company?

Comment

Like anyone who has had a long, happy relationship, the loss brings with it a period of mourning. I hope your little guy will find his joy in life again
                        Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Hi friends,
                          I am Earl.
                          Feeling sad to hear the news.Please don't be sad.I know you will miss your Big Blue.Your love for the pet can be seen from your words.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl A. King View Post
                            Hi friends,
                            I am Earl.
                            Feeling sad to hear the news.Please don't be sad.I know you will miss your Big Blue.Your love for the pet can be seen from your words.
                            Welcome Earl. Do you have any pets?
                            Jill Gallo /Manager
                            The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Working...
                            X