Busy and colorful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy and colorful

The temps have taken a turn for the colder, but the birds don't seem to mind. I am looking forward to running out of seed by the end of the month, and some of the more voracious eaters are the blackbirds anyway. They are eating a mix of sunflower hearts and thistle seed. The ground eaters are also busy. I get cardinals, blue jays and even mourning doves on the hanging feeders. Still some juncos and sparrows around.

April 11s.jpg
    sigpic

they’re pretty gold finches!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Very nice. My few goldfinches are still hanging around. I haven't had the chance to get the nyjer sock yet but I will.
      Jill Gallo /Manager
      The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

I think my goldfinches are lazy. I do have a special niger seed feeder, but they really like the sunflower hearts better. As the season nears the end for feeding, I mix the niger with the hearts just to get it used up. I start with 100 pounds of hearts, and 8 pounds of niger. I really only need about 3-4 pounds of niger seed. But the year I get that little, they will really want it more.
        sigpic

Comment

I have sunflower seeds in the feeder that my goldfinches use. I don't get goldfinches often though. I see them about every other year, and it's usually around now. When summer comes, they're gone. I used shelled seed because I hate cleaning up the shells after the winter.
          Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Wow that’s a lot of bird. I like the red house finches. We have a pair of nesting Stellars jays. They are noisy but there has not been a flicker around here since the jays moved in. They are welcome.
            The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

There is still some thistle in the thistle feeder, but few goldfinches come. Sunflower hearts are finished, so it is only mixed seed. I get cardinals, black birds, mourning doves and quite a few different varieties of sparrows. Also woodpeckers. But with no sunflower hearts, the feeders are getting snubbed. I hope to finish up the seed by the end of the month. I can't hang up laundry outside to dry while feeders are up. And the ground takes a beating as some of it is covered.
              sigpic

Comment

It’s really warm here right now, like summer.

Comment

It truly has been different. A winter without snow (0.3") and much warmer, but going into April, below normal and sometimes quite a bit below. And quite rainy. I think we got used to a much warmer first part of the year, and are now resenting it not being normal.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
                    It truly has been different. A winter without snow (0.3") and much warmer, but going into April, below normal and sometimes quite a bit below. And quite rainy. I think we got used to a much warmer first part of the year, and are now resenting it not being normal.
                    Yes, we've had a cooler April, and much more rain than I remember.
                    Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

I miss having my feeders but I have no yard and the area around my house is so small it would create too much mess unless I exclusively feed hulled sunflower seeds. It’s going to be 91 here tomorrow so we’re heading into the time of year when the birds head for the hills, literally.

Comment

Feeding will be over in the next few days. They have had a good run. I dumped some of the thistle seed on the ground. For the goldfinches, I hardly used 5 pounds of thistle seed. They wanted the sunflower hearts instead. Before I started providing the sunflower hearts, I would go through 100 pounds of thistle per season. Since I still have the thistle feeder, I probably will still get some next season.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X