Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Flea Remedies/Preventatives

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Natural Flea Remedies/Preventatives

    Hi everyone. Could you all please recommend some natural flea remedies or preventatives? I have read that giving your cat a brewers yeast and garlic tablet a day keeps fleas away. Is that true? Precious has fleas and I really don't want to use chemicals on her because I am afraid they may be toxic to her. Also, she has some scabs on her where she has scratched too hard and I don't want it to burn her wounds.


    I love my Precious kitty cat!

  • #2
    Originally posted by ZooGirl02 View Post
    Hi everyone. Could you all please recommend some natural flea remedies or preventatives? I have read that giving your cat a brewers yeast and garlic tablet a day keeps fleas away. Is that true? Precious has fleas and I really don't want to use chemicals on her because I am afraid they may be toxic to her. Also, she has some scabs on her where she has scratched too hard and I don't want it to burn her wounds.
    hi, good question!

    i am concerned about the chemicals too, but the fleas are a more dangerous threat.

    that said, there are flea treatments that are very toxic and have caused many animal deaths. Avoid all the OTC flea treatments that you find at the drug or discount store. go to the vets' instead. if you are on good terms with them they may let you have a sample or two .

    i use Advantage and Frontline for my kids. it is relatively safe; i have used Advantage on senior cats that lived to be 17 and 19.

    and remember, the fleas are more dangerous than these safer chemicals.

    Comment


    • #3
      please do not give your cat garlic, garlic and onion are toxic to cats

      I agree with Mitch, advantage and frontline are safe and effective. (and are used on kittens, 8 weeks and up, too)

      when you go "natural" with this kind of stuff you take a lot of risks.
      http://www.pawproject.org/

      http://catinfo.org/

      Comment


      • #4
        My only challenge with fleas was long before Frontline and others were on the market. I used a flea comb to get the level down low, and then gave brewer's yeast tablets. Once the fleas were gone from them, I 'bombed' the house with a flea fogger. No more problems.

        I got the brewer's yeast from a health food store, and my cats really loved the tablets. I would shake the bottle, and they would come running. I would put a tablet down, and they would gobble it right up. That came in handy when they had to get a medicine pill. That went right down also, and when glucosamine/chondroitin capsules were given, the same approach.

        Garlic always seems to come up as a 'natural' approach. The problem is that garlic is toxic, so you really have to know the dose, and make sure you have done it right. For my way of thinking, that is way too risky.

        Remember, in toxicity, it is the dose that matters.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't think there are any "natural" remedies that work. I use Frontline or Advantage on my cats every other month (and have been doing it for five years with no problems on the older ones), and I've also used Revolution. You can get them from a pet store, but I have heard that those products may or may not be as effective as the same products from the vet. You put the liquid on the top of her neck, where she can't reach to lick it.

          As Mitch said, avoid all flea collars and other OTC products at the drugstore or pet store. They are not good.

          Fleas are tough and require tough medicine.

          Teresa
          Living on the Cheap
          Miami FL on the Cheap
          Florida on the Cheap

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
            Garlic always seems to come up as a 'natural' approach. The problem is that garlic is toxic, so you really have to know the dose, and make sure you have done it right. For my way of thinking, that is way too risky.

            Remember, in toxicity, it is the dose that matters.
            But what about build up? The tiniest dose in the world, if it's not processed correctly through the body, if the body wasn't made to cope with it in the first place, could in time build up to a toxic amount, in the body right? Or if not build up, still cause undue stress on the liver or kidneys as those organs process the toxic substance, which while small at the time, the stress over time can cause damage.

            It drives me crazy that that kind of information is still being put "out there". Garlic for flea control for cats, I mean.

            Tolly likes garlic and I used to share a bit of my garlic chicken with him, when I made it. Not very often and only a tiny bit. Until I found out that garlic is toxic to cats. No more garlic chicken for Tolly, no matter how small the quantity.

            My imperfect understanding of what my vet said about the three spot on flea treatments: Frontline and Advantage are absorbed through the skin only, and do not get into the blood and organs. revolution is processed differently (systemically?) and is passed through the body differently and should not be used on sick or otherwise unhealthy animals.

            Gail
            http://www.pawproject.org/

            http://catinfo.org/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GailS View Post
              The tiniest dose in the world, if it's not processed correctly through the body, if the body wasn't made to cope with it in the first place, could in time build up to a toxic amount, in the body right?

              My imperfect understanding of what my vet said about the three spot on flea treatments: Frontline and Advantage are absorbed through the skin only, and do not get into the blood and organs. revolution is processed differently (systemically?) and is passed through the body differently and should not be used on sick or otherwise unhealthy animals.

              Gail
              Then it still is the dose that counts, isn't it?

              Wellness Brand Premium Cat foods apparently contain garlic for palatability. I found this out from a link, not from the site, as they do not list garlic as an ingredient, even in trace amounts. But they do have an ingredient dictionary, and garlic is listed. And a brochure from Drs. Foster and Smith indicates some commercial pet foods have garlic added.

              I think it is more a case of raw garlic being fed that is the most dangerous. But I prefer to think that onion and garlic would not be in any foods I am giving my cats. Again, most cats can probably be all right with a tiny amount of garlic, but why take the chance?
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
                Then it still is the dose that counts, isn't it?
                What I'm saying is: even if it's a small dose, since the body is not meant to process it, over time it could still potentially cause harm.

                Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
                Wellness Brand Premium Cat foods apparently contain garlic for palatability. I found this out from a link, not from the site, as they do not list garlic as an ingredient, even in trace amounts. But they do have an ingredient dictionary, and garlic is listed. And a brochure from Drs. Foster and Smith indicates some commercial pet foods have garlic added.

                I think it is more a case of raw garlic being fed that is the most dangerous. But I prefer to think that onion and garlic would not be in any foods I am giving my cats. Again, most cats can probably be all right with a tiny amount of garlic, but why take the chance?
                Yikes, garlic in cat food? Oh boy.

                And I agree, the risk is not worth it.

                By the way, as long as we're on the subject, I'm happy to report that my "flea problem" that started last fall is over. I used the Frontline plus on Tolly, Mazy and Jennie (never Ootay) every six weeks, starting last November three successive times. Well the second dose was four weeks. Then I went to six weeks. then I dropped it to every eight weeks. Now, I have not used any flea treatment in three full months, and there are no fleas.

                YAY!

                Gail
                http://www.pawproject.org/

                http://catinfo.org/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Along with what the others have said, remember, fleas can be dangerous to your cat -- they can transmit tapeworms and other diseases which are much more dangerous than vet-approved flea remedies.
                  Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    IIRC, garlic, onion, and other edible members of the genus allium are known to cause a specific anemia in cats.

                    on the subject of Advantage, yes, it really works well. i, too, found that once the fleas were under control, i could space out the doses more.

                    i usually put white coverings on the furniture, and i have a white bedspread, so it's easy to spot flea dirt and know whether any treatment is needed.

                    in fact, about nine years ago, there was a year when my neighbors on either side also had pets, and all three homes were treating their animals with Advantage. i don't exaggerate: every flea in the immediate neighborhood disappeared. i was able to skip giving the kids any flea meds for six years.

                    best regards .mitch

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow. I did not realize that garlic was toxic to cats. Thankfully, I have never given my cat garlic. I would go to to the vet's office and get some Revolution, Advantage, or whatever but I really can't afford it. Are there any other alternatives that are cheaper?


                      I love my Precious kitty cat!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ZooGirl02 View Post
                        Wow. I did not realize that garlic was toxic to cats. Thankfully, I have never given my cat garlic. I would go to to the vet's office and get some Revolution, Advantage, or whatever but I really can't afford it. Are there any other alternatives that are cheaper?
                        Advantage is sold in packs of four or six, i don't recall which, but if your vet is willing to break up a pack, the individual doses should come in at $10 each or less.

                        best regards .mitch

                        /or maybe give you a sample or two

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ZooGirl02 View Post
                          Wow. I did not realize that garlic was toxic to cats. Thankfully, I have never given my cat garlic. I would go to to the vet's office and get some Revolution, Advantage, or whatever but I really can't afford it. Are there any other alternatives that are cheaper?
                          Unfortunately the alternatives are the drug store brands which, while cheaper, are also potentially dangerous, so you might be making up what you saved by spending it on vet bills. See if your vet will work with you on the price. As someone suggested, you can buy a flea comb and comb a lot of the fleas out -- when you catch one in the comb dip it in alcohol. But the best way is to use the suggested remedies. If Precious has scabs from the fleas you really need to find a way to get the medicine before she gets infected.
                          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have discovered that the Frontline plus is less expensive at my vet than it is at the on line pet supply stores such as petmeds.com etc. In additon, buying it from my vet, I KNOW I am getting the real thing, AND when you buy a six pack, you get another application free. Seven for the price of six. I have have read in other places that this is not just a promotion at my vets, but comes from the brands themselves.

                            As was already mentioned, please do not use OTC flea products. they are dangerous and have been known to kill.

                            Gail
                            http://www.pawproject.org/

                            http://catinfo.org/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Also - search online for the cheapest price you can, and then bring a printout with you to your vet's office and ask if they can price match. My vet does, and it saves me a few bucks every time.

                              -Mary
                              Mary
                              ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X