Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone! I definitely will not be using OTC flea products on my cat. My mom's Siamese that she used to have almost died from using OTC flea product on him.

I love my Precious kitty cat!

Comment

Here's the scoop on flea control. It is important to understand the flea life cycle. The flea eggs in the environment hatch into a little caterpillar-like stage, so small you almost can't see it, then into a coccoon, then the adult hatches out. That is a 3 to 8 week process. The adult seeks out a dog or a cat, and once it hops onto them it stays there until the flea dies of old age. The pet is what is termed a dead end host, fleas do not hop from one pet to another, all the fleas on a pet come from the pet's environment. The flea bites and sucks blood immediately and begins laying eggs in 24 hours (important timing). The pet then acts like a giant salt shaker dropping flea eggs all over the house/yard, starting the 3-8 week cycle all over again.

Advantage and Frontline kill the fleas within 24 hours in the first two weeks, within 48 hours in the last two weeks of the month. That means that in the second two weeks after application the fleas are dropping eggs all over, restarting the 3-8 week life cycle. Frontline Plus contains a second ingredient that prevents those eggs from hatching, Advantage does not. After 4 weeks both products allow fertile eggs to be produced.

Revolution works differently, and prevents eggs for a full 4 weeks (but not longer). It also prevents heartworms, a huge bonus for cats that won't eat the monthly Heartgard heartworm preventive.

What all of this means is this:

1) You MUST treat the environment, that's where the real flea problem lies.

2) The three products discussed will kill adult fleas on a pet for the first month after application, but as long as there are fleas in the environment you will see fleas on the pets, that's how the stuff works. And if you go past 4 weeks with any of them you will have flea eggs produced that will survive, and you have started the 3-8 week life cycle all over again.

3) The best flea control involves treating the environment every 3 weeks (remember the 3-8 week life cycle in the environment) and treating the pets with either Revolution every month or Frontline Plus every 2 weeks. An alternative to every 2 weeks for Frontline Plus in dogs is to dose them every 3-4 weeks with the next size dose. For example, if a dog is 25 pounds instead of treating with the 22-44 pound size use the 44-88 pound size. Since the active ingredient in Frontline Plus is essentially nontoxic to mammals, the next size up contains double the amount of product, and the next size is only about $0.50 more, it is just fine and certainly more cost effective to go to the next size than to dose with the correct size every 2 weeks (double the cost vs $0.50 more).

Some recommend doing the same with cats, giving the small dog size instead of two cat doses. Unfortunately this isn't as effective because the cat Frontline Plus contains a lot more of the flea egg inhibitor than the dog product (cats' grooming habits lick it off), so the dog product on a cat will allow eggs to hatch in the second two weeks.

Garlic, b-vitamins, etc, are all ineffective because they 1) don't actually kill fleas, 2) don't prevent the eggs from being produced or hatching, and 3) do absolutely nothing for flea life cycle in the environment.
      Dr. Gus

Comment

Originally posted by DrGus View Post
        Here's the scoop on flea control. It is important to understand the flea life cycle. The flea eggs in the environment hatch into a little caterpillar-like stage, so small you almost can't see it, then into a coccoon, then the adult hatches out. That is a 3 to 8 week process. The adult seeks out a dog or a cat, and once it hops onto them it stays there until the flea dies of old age. The pet is what is termed a dead end host, fleas do not hop from one pet to another, all the fleas on a pet come from the pet's environment. The flea bites and sucks blood immediately and begins laying eggs in 24 hours (important timing). The pet then acts like a giant salt shaker dropping flea eggs all over the house/yard, starting the 3-8 week cycle all over again.

Advantage and Frontline kill the fleas within 24 hours in the first two weeks, within 48 hours in the last two weeks of the month. That means that in the second two weeks after application the fleas are dropping eggs all over, restarting the 3-8 week life cycle. Frontline Plus contains a second ingredient that prevents those eggs from hatching, Advantage does not. After 4 weeks both products allow fertile eggs to be produced.

Revolution works differently, and prevents eggs for a full 4 weeks (but not longer). It also prevents heartworms, a huge bonus for cats that won't eat the monthly Heartgard heartworm preventive.

What all of this means is this:

1) You MUST treat the environment, that's where the real flea problem lies.

2) The three products discussed will kill adult fleas on a pet for the first month after application, but as long as there are fleas in the environment you will see fleas on the pets, that's how the stuff works. And if you go past 4 weeks with any of them you will have flea eggs produced that will survive, and you have started the 3-8 week life cycle all over again.

3) The best flea control involves treating the environment every 3 weeks (remember the 3-8 week life cycle in the environment) and treating the pets with either Revolution every month or Frontline Plus every 2 weeks. An alternative to every 2 weeks for Frontline Plus in dogs is to dose them every 3-4 weeks with the next size dose. For example, if a dog is 25 pounds instead of treating with the 22-44 pound size use the 44-88 pound size. Since the active ingredient in Frontline Plus is essentially nontoxic to mammals, the next size up contains double the amount of product, and the next size is only about $0.50 more, it is just fine and certainly more cost effective to go to the next size than to dose with the correct size every 2 weeks (double the cost vs $0.50 more).

Some recommend doing the same with cats, giving the small dog size instead of two cat doses. Unfortunately this isn't as effective because the cat Frontline Plus contains a lot more of the flea egg inhibitor than the dog product (cats' grooming habits lick it off), so the dog product on a cat will allow eggs to hatch in the second two weeks.

Garlic, b-vitamins, etc, are all ineffective because they 1) don't actually kill fleas, 2) don't prevent the eggs from being produced or hatching, and 3) do absolutely nothing for flea life cycle in the environment.
        What would be the safest way to treat the environment? I have 11 kitties so taking them out of the house to bomb the house isn't an alternative. I use Advantage or Frontline (not Frontline plus) monthly and still have some fleas although certainly not as bad as it could be. I vacuum on an almost daily basis not because of the fleas but because of the cat hair but that is probably a good thing to be doing. Are there any sprays for the environment that would be safe for the kitties?
        Marci DeLisle
        Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
        Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
        Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
        Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
        www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by MarciD View Post
          What would be the safest way to treat the environment? I have 11 kitties so taking them out of the house to bomb the house isn't an alternative. I use Advantage or Frontline (not Frontline plus) monthly and still have some fleas although certainly not as bad as it could be. I vacuum on an almost daily basis not because of the fleas but because of the cat hair but that is probably a good thing to be doing. Are there any sprays for the environment that would be safe for the kitties?
          You could try these flea traps, although for a lot of rooms it probably gets a bit expensive. I have no experience, but they seem a sound approach. Non-toxic although cat fur might clog the sticky pads.

http://www.eartheasy.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=S102

(link for illustrative purposes only. Available many places, including Amazon.)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
            You could try these flea traps, although for a lot of rooms it probably gets a bit expensive. I have no experience, but they seem a sound approach. Non-toxic although cat fur might clog the sticky pads.

http://www.eartheasy.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=S102

(link for illustrative purposes only. Available many places, including Amazon.)
            I've tried them in past and didn't feel they did much to help the situation. Keeping everyone on Advantage or Frontline has definitely been helpful but still doesn't knock the fleas out completely.
            Marci DeLisle
            www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

I'd use Virbac Knockout ES. It's a premise spray, has a hormone that inhibits egg hatch. You can do one room at a time with it.

You really, really need to use Frontline PLUS. With plain Frontline or Advantage there will be a lot of eggs laid by the fleas before they die, those eggs will hatch, and the 3-8 week life cycle starts all over again.
              Dr. Gus

Comment

flea traps
                Waste of money. A few fleas will blunder into the trap, but it is just a drop in the bucket.

Vacuuming OTOH has been recently shown to be pretty effective at sucking up fleas.
                Dr. Gus

Comment

I'd use Virbac Knockout ES. It's a premise spray, has a hormone that inhibits egg hatch. You can do one room at a time with it.

You really, really need to use Frontline PLUS. With plain Frontline or Advantage there will be a lot of eggs laid by the fleas before they die, those eggs will hatch, and the 3-8 week life cycle starts all over again.
                  Do you have to keep the kitties off the areas that you spray and if so how long? That's somewhat challenging since some of my kitties are hard to catch ... still very feral.

The Frontline PLUS I haven't done because I've been told it's not possible to take a large dog dose and split it for the kitties. That's the only way I can afford to keep the kitties all treated for fleas.
                  Marci DeLisle
                  www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

I just wanted to let you all know that a very helpful person donated two doses of Frontline Plus to me and that it has been about a week since I applied the first dose. The Frontline Plus has helped immensely! She is now scratching very little and the scabs on her are healing up! I don't know what I'm going to do after the two doses runs out though because I probably won't have the money to buy more unless I get a job between now and then. But I'm disabled and can only handle a part time job. I will be looking for a job though.

Also, this is pretty awesome that my thread became a sticky!

Comment

Originally posted by ZooGirl02 View Post
                      I just wanted to let you all know that a very helpful person donated two doses of Frontline Plus to me and that it has been about a week since I applied the first dose. The Frontline Plus has helped immensely! She is now scratching very little and the scabs on her are healing up! I don't know what I'm going to do after the two doses runs out though because I probably won't have the money to buy more unless I get a job between now and then. But I'm disabled and can only handle a part time job. I will be looking for a job though.

Also, this is pretty awesome that my thread became a sticky!
                      That was very kind of whoever donated that to you! There are drug companies that help people who can't afford their drugs, and I'm wondering if the manufacturers of Frontline might do the same thing. Also, you might check with the local shelters or rescue groups to see if any help is available.
                      Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP View Post
                        That was very kind of whoever donated that to you! There are drug companies that help people who can't afford their drugs, and I'm wondering if the manufacturers of Frontline might do the same thing. Also, you might check with the local shelters or rescue groups to see if any help is available.
                        Yes, it was very kind of the person who donated it to me. Anyway, I will check with the local shelters and rescue groups and also with the manufacturers of Frontline to see what help I might be able to get.

Comment

Do you have to keep the kitties off the areas that you spray and if so how long? That's somewhat challenging since some of my kitties are hard to catch ... still very feral.

The Frontline PLUS I haven't done because I've been told it's not possible to take a large dog dose and split it for the kitties. That's the only way I can afford to keep the kitties all treated for fleas.
                          I'll check on the premise spray, see what it says on the can when our next shipment comes in.

You can split the dog dose of Frontline Plus for cats, but you do lose the Plus part of it so after 2 weeks live eggs start hatching out again. You could use the Frontline Plus or Frontline, split the dose, and treat all the cats every 2 weeks. That would prevent new eggs hatching.
                          Dr. Gus

Comment

I'll check on the premise spray, see what it says on the can when our next shipment comes in.

You can split the dog dose of Frontline Plus for cats, but you do lose the Plus part of it so after 2 weeks live eggs start hatching out again. You could use the Frontline Plus or Frontline, split the dose, and treat all the cats every 2 weeks. That would prevent new eggs hatching.
                            The premise spray would be the most ideal solution depending on whether I would be able to let the cats be in the area after spraying. Catching some of these kitties is all but impossible.

I'm not sure whether you were referring to splitting the feline version of Frontline Plus and doing them every two weeks or whether you were referring to the canine version. There's just no way I could afford the Frontline Plus for cats because even if I split the dose and used it every two weeks the total cost would come out the same. I'd rather spend my money on quality food and be able to get vet care whenever they need it than spend all my money on flea treatments specifically for cats. Advantage has been working fairly well but of course it never totally gets rid of the fleas because it doesn't kill the eggs.
                            Marci DeLisle
                            www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

The premise spray would be the most ideal solution depending on whether I would be able to let the cats be in the area after spraying. Catching some of these kitties is all but impossible.

I'm not sure whether you were referring to splitting the feline version of Frontline Plus and doing them every two weeks or whether you were referring to the canine version. There's just no way I could afford the Frontline Plus for cats because even if I split the dose and used it every two weeks the total cost would come out the same. I'd rather spend my money on quality food and be able to get vet care whenever they need it than spend all my money on flea treatments specifically for cats. Advantage has been working fairly well but of course it never totally gets rid of the fleas because it doesn't kill the eggs.
                              In that situation I would get the regular Frontlline (not the Plus), 89-136 pound dog size. That has 4.0 ml of Frontline, cat dose is 0.5 ml, so you can get 8 cats treated with one dog dose. Do this every 2 weeks and you won't have any eggs laid in the house.
                              Dr. Gus

Comment

In that situation I would get the regular Frontlline (not the Plus), 89-136 pound dog size. That has 4.0 ml of Frontline, cat dose is 0.5 ml, so you can get 8 cats treated with one dog dose. Do this every 2 weeks and you won't have any eggs laid in the house.
                                And that won't overdose the cats in any way? I have no problems with doing it every 2 weeks but want to make sure I'm not going to cause any problems with the kitties.
                                Marci DeLisle
                                www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Working...
                                X