This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WELCOME! to Cat Care & Behavior

We all love our cats. And as responsible caretakers, we all want to do the "right thing" for our felines' physical and emotional health (yes, cats are emotional little critters!).

You've found the purr-fect spot to discuss care concerns, behavior foibles and health issues about the glorious creatures we love--cats! Don't be shy about asking questions, posting comments, and sharing your experiences on the following and many other related topics:

What's normal cat behavior?

Can you fix or re-train clawing furniture or hit-and-miss toilet habits?

If your cat is diagnosed with a particular health concern, what can you expect and how can you help your vet treat the pet?

The cat-savvy staff here at The Pets Forums adores kitties, and wants to provide answers, information, and sometimes just plain emotional support to help you preserve the loving bond you share with all the special cats of your lives. We can't offer medical advice (since even a veterinarian can't diagnose over the Internet!) but are happy to offer suggestions and resources.

So come one, come all--join the furry-family!

purrs,

Amy D. Shojai
    www.shojai.com
    AMY D. SHOJAI, CABC
    IAABC Certified Animal Behavior Consultant
    Thrillers With BITE!
    www.shojai.com
    Spokesperson www.PetHealthyStore.com

Author 30 pet care books including:

Complete Kitten Care (Kindle Updated Edition)
    Complete Puppy Care
    ComPETablity: Solving Behavior Problems In Your Cat-Cat, Dog-Dog, Cat-Dog Household
    The First-Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats

[QUOTE=AmyShojai]
    You've found the purr-fect spot to discuss care concerns, behavior foibles and health issues about the glorious creatures we love--cats! Don't be shy about asking questions, posting comments, and sharing your experiences

Sniff .. I didn't get mentioned. no where was mention of those who love cats but for one reason or another can't have them. Maybe one day I will get one but not right now. And how are your furbabies?

Bobby

Comment

[QUOTE=Bobby]
      Originally posted by AmyShojai
      You've found the purr-fect spot to discuss care concerns, behavior foibles and health issues about the glorious creatures we love--cats! Don't be shy about asking questions, posting comments, and sharing your experiences

Sniff .. I didn't get mentioned. no where was mention of those who love cats but for one reason or another can't have them. Maybe one day I will get one but not right now. And how are your furbabies?

Bobby
      Bobby,

Is it still true that you don't have cats?
      Markey

Comment

[QUOTE=Markey]
        Originally posted by Bobby

Bobby,

Is it still true that you don't have cats?
        Yes .. no cats ... sad yes ???

The cats forum staff have tried their best to insert two fuzzy lil kittens in my life but they couldn't.

Bobby

Comment

[QUOTE=Bobby]
          Originally posted by Markey

Yes .. no cats ... sad yes ???

The cats forum staff have tried their best to insert two fuzzy lil kittens in my life but they couldn't.

Bobby
          I don't get it. Why are you so interested in hearing about our cats when you can't even talk about your own? I am such a narcissist that I can assure you, if I didn't currently have cats, or have them for a long time, anyway, I wouldn't bother with this forum.

You must have had them in your life and loved them a great deal, right? Am I warm?

Do you wish you could have some cats now even though you can't?

Hey! I'll send someone to gently deliver Mr. Homeless to your stoop as he will show up like clockwork and will chirp at you, too. Then you won't be so lonely for a cat.
          Markey

Comment

I don't get it. Why are you so interested in hearing about our cats when you can't even talk about your own? I am such a narcissist that I can assure you, if I didn't currently have cats, or have them for a long time, anyway, I wouldn't bother with this forum.
            Where I was living earlier I was in a no pets apartment building. Before that I had a dog .. a mutt. She had some interesting times. She had 7 puppies and it seemed that one of them was feeding at two plates being that he was twice as big as the rest!! We nicknamed him lug. We gave her puppies away when they were 2 months old.
            About a year later I awoke one morning to find her choked on her vomit. Probably got a hold of a bufo. That was 20 years ago.[/QUOTE]

You must have had them in your life and loved them a great deal, right? Am I warm?
            My uncle has cats ... as for why I come here, I have been a compuserve member for around 10 years and have found that the people that I enjoy chatting with often have pets, either a dog or a cat. I have directed some of those with cats here because they were looking for answers that I knew someone here could tell them. Right now I am at my half-brothers house. At the moment a Lhasa-Apsos ~ Pomeranian mix is watching me type this message. I will miss the little guy when I move soon.

Hey! I'll send someone to gently deliver Mr. Homeless to your stoop as he will show up like clockwork and will chirp at you, too. Then you won't be so lonely for a cat.
            I chatted with a cat on my way home. Yep ... I saw a cat .. "meowed" a few times, it turned around and began to reply to my "meow" 's.

Bobby

Comment

Where I was living earlier I was in a no pets apartment building. Before that I had a dog .. a mutt. She had some interesting times. She had 7 puppies and it seemed that one of them was feeding at two plates being that he was twice as big as the rest!! We nicknamed him lug. We gave her puppies away when they were 2 months old.
              About a year later I awoke one morning to find her choked on her vomit. Probably got a hold of a bufo. That was 20 years ago.

My uncle has cats ... as for why I come here, I have been a compuserve member for around 10 years and have found that the people that I enjoy chatting with often have pets, either a dog or a cat. I have directed some of those with cats here because they were looking for answers that I knew someone here could tell them. Right now I am at my half-brothers house. At the moment a Lhasa-Apsos ~ Pomeranian mix is watching me type this message. I will miss the little guy when I move soon.

Obviously you have an innate love for animals, as you would not write in the Cat's Forum, not even having one now, if you didn't.

I am sorry to hear what happened to Lug. What a sad story!

I chatted with a cat on my way home. Yep ... I saw a cat .. "meowed" a few times, it turned around and began to reply to my "meow" 's.

Bobby[/QUOTE]
              Markey

Comment

Obviously you have an innate love for animals, as you would not write in the Cat's Forum, not even having one now, if you didn't.

I am sorry to hear what happened to Lug. What a sad story!
                Lug grew up to be a fat ole boy ...
                Fluffy [ I didn't mention her name ] is the one that choked.

Bobby

Comment

[QUOTE=Markey;75789]

Right now we are feeding 4 cats and 4 kittens ... in my room is a big bag of cat food. Outside the other bag is almost empty. Ferals are something else.
                  Three cats are regulars, one is a sometimes visitor. Two of the 3 are brother and sister and the third one the father of the 4 kittens

Bobby

Comment

Need some help!

So I bought a litter box online, the same one that already had been using, just wanted add another one to the house (I have 3 babies). Well my little guy got trapped in it in the first 5 min I had it up in service, turns out the door hinge was bent and I didn't catch that when I set it up. So now, he won't go in the box....just pees outside the box , and its quite frustrating. I of course got rid of the faulty box and got a good one, but now I feel he is mentally scarred? What do I do? I tried taking the doors completely off...it worked a few times but then just now I caught him with front paws in, back paws out, spraying at the door of the box....(ugh) And of course once he starts he won't stop...I feel so bad like a bad kitty mommy but I don't know what else to do. I'm trying to see if he can be retrained..I took the top completely off to see what happens (it smells awful but...) Any other suggestions?

Comment

Try taking the top off the box altogether. Hope this works...poor little guy. He'll probably do okay in time.
                      Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Hello, I need some help! I have a one year old cat who just recently started acting strange. He will have these short episodes where he will shake his head and sometime lick himself and then take off across the room like he's being chased. When he stops he's acting agitated and his back twitches. I just started taking him outside in our backyard on a harness which he seems to really like. I haven't seen him eat anything out there other than grass. Right after he has these episodes I can touch and brush him and he doesn't shy away like it bothers him. I've read about feline hyperesthesia but I have never seen a cat with it. I'm not sure if this is what he has but any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jlr103 View Post
                          Hello, I need some help! I have a one year old cat who just recently started acting strange. He will have these short episodes where he will shake his head and sometime lick himself and then take off across the room like he's being chased. When he stops he's acting agitated and his back twitches. I just started taking him outside in our backyard on a harness which he seems to really like. I haven't seen him eat anything out there other than grass. Right after he has these episodes I can touch and brush him and he doesn't shy away like it bothers him. I've read about feline hyperesthesia but I have never seen a cat with it. I'm not sure if this is what he has but any thoughts would be appreciated!!
                          I'm not a vet but from previous discussions here I suspect this could be hyperesthesia. One of our members had a cat who had those sorts of episodes. I'll try to get her to come by to talk to you. Meanwhile, you can open your own topic in this section (cats) and more folks are likely to see your posting and chime in.
                          Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by Jlr103 View Post
                            It sounds to me like the cat may be having allergy reactions to something in the yard.
                            Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Working...
                            X