This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Tips For Keeping Your Pets Safe

Just a few holiday pet tips to keep your pets safe during the upcoming merriment. The last thing you want is for your decorating or parties to make your furbabies sick. So here are a few basic tips:

Remember: tinsel on trees can hurt cats. They tend to try to swallow it and it can get wrapped up in their intestines and cause all sorts of grief and damage. One of the ways I avoided tinsel for many years (before finding other ways to just do away with it altogether) was to buy those long strands of larger metallic beads and cut them into 18" lengths. These are wonderful for draping over tree limbs and they give the sparkle of tinsel but my older cats tended to leave them alone. However--my young babies, especially Calypso, will try to go after any ribbons so I ditched these and content myself with sparkling garland up high near the ceiling where they can't get at it.

Be cautious when putting out chocolate treats--chocolate is poisonous to cats and dogs, and especially with the way dogs will gulp down treats--it doesn't take much to hurt them.

If you have a real tree instead of an artificial one, make sure they don't drink the water in which the tree is sitting. And watch them around holly, ivy, and mistletoe--all which are poisonous to animals.

If your cats tend to play with the ornaments, put the unbreakable ones on the bottom. I like to hang bells on the bottom limbs of our tree (which is artificial) and when the cats sneak beneath it, they ring the bells and it sort of adds to holiday spirit.

During holiday dinners, watch out for bones. Don't leave your turkey or chicken bones around, and watch out for lamb chop bones too, which can be sharp. Don't let kitty have many bites of people food--the best idea is, if you want to give them a special treat, by kitty treats or really delicious canned food and give it to them for their holiday meal.

Ribbons can be dangerous--cats can swallow them and again, like tinsel, it can get wrapped up in their intestines and bring them to grief. (Same with any thread or dental floss). If this happens and you see the end of a thread or ribbon poking out of their butt (to be blunt), do NOT pull...take them to the vet because it could be wrapped around something inside and you could hurt them by pulling. Your best bet is to take all ribbons off the packages before you put them under the tree, or use very thick ribbon that lays flat against the presents.

Look around your house as you decorate in the mindset of your pet. If YOU can imagine them playing with something or eating something, chances are, THEY can find a way. With some thought to caution, both you and your pets can have a safe and happy holiday.

Yasmine
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
    NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
    I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Thanks for reposting this, Yazza!!! Happy Holidays to all!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I would add that some of our members anchor the tree to a wall or the ceiling to prefent eager kitties from toppling the tree All great suggestions, Yazza.
      Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Effective tips to keep the pets safe. Nice one...Bravo..

Comment

I need all the tips I can get. My 8 cats all love the tree at Christmas.

Comment

Happy holiday to all of you. Enjoy life with your pet animals.

Comment

BUMP...for visibility.
              Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
              I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
              NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
              I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

As we prepare for the holidays, itís easy to forget about the small things that can cause a real danger to dogs and cats. Thanks you for the information.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                    X