Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when does the kitten stage mellow out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • when does the kitten stage mellow out?

    Not a big deal but i am curious to get an idea when The kitten bug will chill. The constant wanting To play, wrestle and be crazy. Everything is a toy to Our cat. Doesnt bother me but her other roomates Get annoyed with certain things she keeps doing. I like playing with her and its funny but...

  • #2
    I've got three of them who are 3.5, 3.5, and almost 3. And an 18.5 year old. The babies still haven't mellowed out and probably won't for a couple years. Everything will continue to be a toy for your cat for a long, long time.

    Yasmine
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
    NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
    I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe


    Comment


    • #3
      Cats are individuals, and it often depends on the breed or breed mix of your cat as to when she'll mellow. Most cats do enjoy playing and romping well into their teenage years but do become calmer. One way to deal with the problem is to give her scheduled playtimes with an interactive toy such as a wand toy two or three times a day -- but NEVER, ever let her play with your hands as a toy, and make sure your roomies don't either. To do so just invites her to become a "bitey" cat since she won't be able to distinguish your body parts from her toys. How old is she now? BTW, getting her spayed will calm her down considerably.
      Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

      Comment


      • #4
        For what it's worth, although she will probably never completely stop playing, most cats of my acquaintance mellow out considerably at about two-three years old.

        Cassy
        Cassy and Sebastian-da-Ninja-Kittee
        Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
        Roving Staff - Cats Forums

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CasCat View Post
          For what it's worth, although she will probably never completely stop playing, most cats of my acquaintance mellow out considerably at about two-three years old.

          Cassy
          ROFL...yah, Caly, Brighid and Morgan have yet to show signs of that. They're the terrible trio. Meerclar just watches them race by. LOL

          Yazza
          Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
          I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
          NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
          I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yasmine View Post
            ROFL...yah, Caly, Brighid and Morgan have yet to show signs of that. They're the terrible trio. Meerclar just watches them race by. LOL

            Yazza
            Dante's about 18 months old, and he's no longer boucy-bouncy-race-race-snore, like he was. (He had two speeds; all-ahead-full and off.) He still loves to play and pester his big brother, but he's not quite so... um... ADD about life as he was. He can actually sit in a lap for more than five minutes without getting up and repositioning himself. <grin>

            Cassy
            Cassy and Sebastian-da-Ninja-Kittee
            Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
            Roving Staff - Cats Forums

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CasCat View Post
              For what it's worth, although she will probably never completely stop playing, most cats of my acquaintance mellow out considerably at about two-three years old.Cassy
              everyone ive known who had adult cats were mellow. But I am sure they used to be crazy kittens. Maybe there is No general expectation of when they mellow out.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have three cats - one is six years old and the kittens (litter mates) are three. You wouldn't know they were all adult or teen aged cats at some points when they are thundering around the house like lunatics
                Karen A/Publicist

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by stray_cat View Post
                  everyone ive known who had adult cats were mellow. But I am sure they used to be crazy kittens. Maybe there is No general expectation of when they mellow out.
                  It really does depend on the cat. They're all as individual in personality as people. My 18 year old began to mellow out around 12 or so, although she still had her moments of racing around the house till the past year or so. But she still plays, on occasion, even now.

                  Yasmine
                  Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
                  I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
                  NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
                  I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Yasmine View Post
                    It really does depend on the cat. They're all as individual in personality as people. My 18 year old began to mellow out around 12 or so, although she still had her moments of racing around the house till the past year or so. But she still plays, on occasion, even now.

                    Yasmine
                    I should perhaps define my terms better; when I say "mellow out" I don't mean "stop playing entirely" -- I mean "doesn't play constantly when not asleep". <grin> Even my 19-1/2 year old cat would sometimes thunder around the house like a lunatic, arthritis and all... But kittens have ADD; they just don't stop. Whereas after about two or three, my cats decided that Sitting Quietly In A Lap was a Good Thing. (Dante thinks it's a good thing, but he's only 18 months and he just can't manage sitting still for more than about twenty minutes... <grin>)

                    Cassy
                    Cassy and Sebastian-da-Ninja-Kittee
                    Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
                    Roving Staff - Cats Forums

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CasCat View Post
                      I should perhaps define my terms better; when I say "mellow out" I don't mean "stop playing entirely" -- I mean "doesn't play constantly when not asleep". <grin> Even my 19-1/2 year old cat would sometimes thunder around the house like a lunatic, arthritis and all... But kittens have ADD; they just don't stop. Whereas after about two or three, my cats decided that Sitting Quietly In A Lap was a Good Thing. (Dante thinks it's a good thing, but he's only 18 months and he just can't manage sitting still for more than about twenty minutes... <grin>)

                      Cassy
                      Twenty minutes is *forever* for a kitten!!
                      Karen A/Publicist

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        She used one paw to play with the other paw Yesterday. Maybe shes bored easily.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by stray_cat View Post
                          She used one paw to play with the other paw Yesterday. Maybe shes bored easily.
                          Cats will play with anything, including themselves. Especially their tails. Being a kitten, she probably has a short attention span. Even at 13, Cicero has a short attention span and won't play for more than a few minutes. Then he likes to sit and watch me sling the toy around. He thinks it's quite amusing.
                          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            She does have a short attention span. Very.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by stray_cat View Post
                              She does have a short attention span. Very.
                              Well, she IS a kitten.

                              Cassy
                              Cassy and Sebastian-da-Ninja-Kittee
                              Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
                              Roving Staff - Cats Forums

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X