This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was Your First Cat Like?

...since I'm now the Staff for Your First Cat, I'd like to get a little movement in here. Let's use this thread to talk about our very first kitties--whether it was thirty years ago, or yesterday.

My first cat was in the house when I was born. His name was Tiger, and he was a striped gray tabby. He was fixed, I'm pretty sure, but I was so young I don't really remember. We also had a duck and a dog at that time, and Rex (the dog) used to sleep in the middle, with Donna (the duck) snuggled up on one side of him, and Tiger (the cat) snuggled up on the other side. I wish I had a picture of that--or even of him (have one of the duck and the dog) but I don't.

I loved Tiger, and we used to take him with us on trips to the cabin we rented up on Blewett Pass. Unfortunately, it was there that he came to his untimely end. Somehow he got covered in motor oil--one of my sisters swore that our cousins up the road did it--and it killed him. I'm very hazy on the details, I was only three when he died. He was the only male cat I've ever had--every other baby has been a girl, and there have been several of them over the years. But Tiger was our boy, and so from the very beginning, I grew up with cats.

Yasmine
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
    NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
    I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Originally posted by Yasmine
    ...since I'm now the Staff for Your First Cat, I'd like to get a little movement in here. Let's use this thread to talk about our very first kitties--whether it was thirty years ago, or yesterday.

My first cat was in the house when I was born. His name was Tiger, and he was a striped gray tabby. He was fixed, I'm pretty sure, but I was so young I don't really remember. We also had a duck and a dog at that time, and Rex (the dog) used to sleep in the middle, with Donna (the duck) snuggled up on one side of him, and Tiger (the cat) snuggled up on the other side. I wish I had a picture of that--or even of him (have one of the duck and the dog) but I don't.

I loved Tiger, and we used to take him with us on trips to the cabin we rented up on Blewett Pass. Unfortunately, it was there that he came to his untimely end. Somehow he got covered in motor oil--one of my sisters swore that our cousins up the road did it--and it killed him. I'm very hazy on the details, I was only three when he died. He was the only male cat I've ever had--every other baby has been a girl, and there have been several of them over the years. But Tiger was our boy, and so from the very beginning, I grew up with cats.

Yasmine
    What a sad end for poor little Tiger, but look what he started in your life!!

I also grew up with cats -- never had dogs till I got married. My first cat was named "Nenny" after "Nenny said the cat" in the Kipling poem The Cat Who Walks by Himself. My father was a great cat lover and a great lover of poetry. Nenny was gray and white, and I don't really remember too much about him other than he once had an abscess in his mouth and had to have it lanced -- it left a big hole in his cheek (which healed) and a big impression in my mind. It's amazing what little minds retain! I don't know what ever happened to him -- my father was transferred to the Philippine Islands when I was 7 and we followed him, so I suspect he as given to one of the neighbors.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Yasmine

My first cats i dont remember at all because i was only about 3 yrs old. My mother told me we had 2 white cats when i was that young but she cant remember what their names were. The first cat i do remember was a pretty fluffy girl stray who came into our house where we lived on a french settlement,,,even though we're irish descent :-) everyone was so close and friendly there. i was 7 yrs old when the fluffy girl kitty came into our home one day and by morning she had delivered a litter of kittens in my grandmothers closet. We gave the kittens away when they were old enough,, the mother we kept and named *Tinkerbell*. That was 40 yrs ago and back where we lived cats were allowed to come and and go outside as they pleased and i dont remember how she died. She was the first cat i remember and from then on we always had a cat . I remember a few of the names,,,*tinkerbell* *mushroom* *Bobby lee* *tiger* *Misu* *Felix* *dasher* *fluffy* *magic* when my sons were 5 and 7 yrs old they each had their own kitten - we got 3 kittens at the same time and they lived with us for their whole childhood till they were old and my sons were grown men . The cats all died in the same yr at close to 16 yrs old. My sons and I were with all of them when they went over the rainbow bridge. That was 8 yrs ago and thats when i got the 2 doggies and 1 more cat *claire* who lives with me now. anyways,,,sorry i listed more than my first cat,,, they were all special.
      critters and rosy

Comment

Originally posted by rosy1
        That was 8 yrs ago and thats when i got the 2 doggies and 1 more cat *claire* who lives with me now. anyways,,,sorry i listed more than my first cat,,, they were all special.
        It's hard not to start listing them all, isn't it? After Tiger, as far as cats, I had Buzzy, who was a stray, then Tuffy (Tuffina Maria was her full name), and then Eek. After that I went away to college and a few years later, got my Circe girl and Meerclar in her first incarnation....then came Keeter, then lost Circe and Meerclar, and then Meerclar came back, and the same year got Luna and Tara...

Interesting isn't it, how our cats live longer now that we're adults and can make the rules about how they're treated?

Yazza
        NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
        I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Comment

Oh, it's been so long since I had a cat. I've had dogs and cats almost all my life, but stopped having cats when I moved out of my parent's house - the cat litter bothers my asthma. But the first cat I ever had was one I only barely remember, Georgia. Then we got Howard, who used to sleep with my sister, my dad always maintained that cat looked like Howard Hughes (I dunno, it's just one of those things I remember, and that is how that cat got his name - if you asked, my dad would pull out an old newspaper clipping of Howard Hughes and hold it up by the cat's face, I swear) , then Riki (after the mongoose in the story Riki Tiki Tavi), Eartha (after Eartha Kitt who played the Cat Woman on Batman - Batman was a BIG DEAL in our house), and Floyd (my sister named that one, I never quite got the reference, and no, it wasn't Pink Floyd). Then our final kitty was Balthazar and her daughter Tyler, although poor Tyler didn't make it a year with us (we were having a coyote problem that summer), and Balthazar made it to age ten, long after Tyler's demise. Most of our cats were indoor/outdoor cats, and some of them were serious wanderers. Even Balthazar was a wanderer - she probably had the best self-preservation instincts, though, because she knew to come home when hurt, and never tangled with cars (which is what caused Howard's demise). I remember coming home for Spring break from college, and my mother hadn't seen Balthazar for almost two weeks by that point. So of course, I did a bit of a looksee around the area, but figured it was pointless. It wasn't - three days later, she found me outside, and followed me into the house. I thought she was just hungry so I fed her, but when I walked upstairs to my bedroom, she followed me up, and then wanted on my lap, an unusual thing for her, and that was when I saw she'd been injured. She'd been stabbed in the chest by some cretin, but thankfully they'd stabbed her low in the chest so it was just a skin and muscle injury. Needless to say, we got her into the vet immediately!! But she'd been a wanderer ever since we'd gotten her as a kitten, so restricting her movements was pretty much not an option. Keeping her in the house while she healed was tough enough!! She was a fun kitty, though - she was temperamental, and would go from wanting to be cuddled to wanting to bite you in a moment's notice, so you never quite knew what you were getting into when you'd reach for her. But her and our dog Freckles were good buddies and would "share" my bed with me in the winter - Freckles would sleep by my legs, Balthazar would sleep at my shoulder. Mind you, it was never my choice that I'd be sharing the bed with them - it was just when they decided that it was cold enough to shove me over and make me share the bed with them. If I asked them to get on the bed, I'd have been calling both animals for hours and never gotten a single paw up on the bed, but if I ignored them, I'd end up with both of them snuggled in. And it never failed - if one wanted up there, the other HAD to get in there too. Go figure. Balthazar was a fun cat. She liked to kitty-stomp through the house, which was always entertaining, and would sometimes decide to leap out at you just for giggles. One of her kittens, a big fella named Reebok that my brother kept at his house, would hop up on a piano that was next to a doorway and would leap up at you as you came through the door, shocking the snot out of you. He was a fun kitty, too.

-Mary
          (Oh, and if you wanted to know - Balthazar is supposedly the name of one of the Three Wise Men who visited Jesus in the manger... or so my dad claims, I never really found a definite "and their names were" passage anywhere in the bible, myself... Dad likes giving critters odd names)
          Mary
          ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

It's hard not to start listing them all, isn't it? After Tiger, as far as cats, I had Buzzy, who was a stray, then Tuffy (Tuffina Maria was her full name), and then Eek. After that I went away to college and a few years later, got my Circe girl and Meerclar in her first incarnation....then came Keeter, then lost Circe and Meerclar, and then Meerclar came back, and the same year got Luna and Tara...

Interesting isn't it, how our cats live longer now that we're adults and can make the rules about how they're treated?

Yazza
            Yup,,,cats live much longer healthier lives now. When i was a young kid i dont even think there was a vet in town. I doubt they even got rabies shot--isnt that awful!!! gosh its just the way it was back then, we pampered and loved them but just didnt get them the vet checks and healthcare pets get today. We fed them well and we left a window open so they could come in and out as they pleased. Is there anything more peaceful than going to sleep with a cat sleeping on the bed?? (unless its a tiny baby attacking feet and toes) LOL
            Claire is an indoor cat, and the last 3 cats my sons and i had (that lived to be almost 16 yrs old were indoor cats only) i wonder if they missed anything by not being able to have that outdoor freedom that the cats from my childhood had-- with all the traffic where i live it would have been unsafe to let them outside. As long as they had a screened in sunny windowsill to look out and lay on they sure looked happy and satisfied.
            Is that Meerclair with you in your avatar??
            critters and rosy

Comment

Originally posted by rosy1
              Is that Meerclair with you in your avatar??
              No, that's my Luna girl. You can see them all on their site on my domain:
              http://www.galenorn.com/catscorner They're quite happy to be indoor gurlz, and it's so dangerous outside.

Yazza

Comment

<<Yup,,,cats live much longer healthier lives now. When i was a young kid i dont even think there was a vet in town. I doubt they even got rabies shot--isnt that awful!!!>>

Actually, I am thinking just the opposite. Fuzzy was the first cat, and lived into her twenties; I was very young then. My mother was always adopting strays, but the vet visits were not that often. Usually to check them out when they were first 'adopted', and then spaying or neutering. No money really for annual check ups.

Shorty was a real dream; a very loving and gentle male, but he got interested in the bushes across the street -- you can know the end.

Then Tuffy, a tiny furball, off the streets and lived into his twenties. Kept on a leash while outside.

For mine, fibrosarcoma at age eight for Smokey; Thyroid disease for Kalki at age 15 1/2 and I rarely hear of a cat making it into the twenties. People tell me when I have a cat over ten that it is remarkable. I had thought it was normal.

All of the cats I have known have been strays, which should mean the survival of the 'fittest'. Seems like something is happening to our environment that the 'fittest' are not making it as long as the fittest of the 1950'2 - 1960's - 1970's.
                sigpic

Comment

Yasmine
                  I grew up pretty muich without pets unless you count guppies <s>. Oh, there was also a robin that I rescued from boys who were burning its feet with matches but that bird was released as soon as it could fly. And a lovely Airedale puppy we found that contracted rabies at the pound where we had to put it for testing (well, maybe it was ill when we had it but it sure looked healthy).

I was living in my first apartment in 1961 when one day a Hoboken street kitten approached me. He made nice and when I said I'd take him in if he behaved himself, naturally he promised (a promise that was soon and often broken). Tigger was the love of my life. He loved life altogether and took every opportunity to play. He loved riding in my car and would hop up onto the back of the seat and check out the other cars. I'd see drivers smiling at him (and at me) with those activities.

Tigger naturally had to be vaccinated and neutered. He went for his first shot to the wonderful Secaucus vet who played with him and then wrapped him up in a plaid blanket and gave him the shot. Next time, Tigger loved the trip, loved the waiting room, loved the vet but when he saw that plaid blanket, he went nuts - that blanket had bitten him last time and he wasnt' going to let it get away with it again.

Friends of mine would take Tigger for me when I went skiing. Eventually those friends married and when I asked what they wanted for a gift they said at once, "Tigger." He loved them, they loved him and he went to welcome each of their four kids and to stick with the family until Fred got his Ph.D. in Edmonton at which point, Tigger felt it was safe to leave the family and go on to the Rainbow Bridge. By then I was living in Paris and was very happy that Tigger had had such a wonderful home for all those succeeding years after he moved in with my friends.
                  Last edited by KarenA; 09-08-2005, 02:48 PM.
                  Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by KarenA
                    I grew up pretty muich without pets unless you count guppies <s>. Oh, there was also a robin that I rescued from boys who were burning its feet with matches but that bird was released as soon as it could fly. And a lovely Airedale puppy we found that contracted rabies at the pound where we had to put it for testing (well, maybe it was ill when we had it but it sure looked healthy).

I was living in my first apartment in 1961 when one day a Hoboken street kitten approached me. He made nice and when I said I'd take him in if he behaved himself, naturally he promised (a promise that was soon and often broken). Tigger was the love of my life. He loved life altogether and took every opportunity to play. He loved riding in my car and would hop up onto the back of the seat and check out the other cars. I'd see drivers smiling at him (and at me) with those activities.

Tigger naturally had to be vaccinated and neutered. He went for his first shot to the wonderful Secaucus vet who played with him and then wrapped him up in a plaid blanket and gave him the shot. Next time, Tigger loved the trip, loved the waiting room, loved the vet but when he saw that plaid blanket, he went nuts - that blanket had bitten him last time and he wasnt' going to let it get away with it again.

Friends of mine would take Tigger for me when I went skiing. Eventually those friends married and when I asked what they wanted for a gift they said at once, "Tigger." He loved them, they loved him and he went to welcome each of their four kids and to stick with the family until Fred got his Ph.D. in Edmunton at which point, Tigger felt it was safe to leave the family and go on to the Rainbow Bridge. By then I was living in Paris and was very happy that Tigger had had such a wonderful home for all those succeeding years after he moved in with my friends.
                    What a nice story, Karen!
                    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP
                      What a nice story, Karen!
                      That really is a lovely story! Very touching, and sounds like Tigger got two lovely homes out of the deal.

Yazza

Comment

That really is a lovely story! Very touching, and sounds like Tigger got two lovely homes out of the deal.

Yazza
                        He was a really neat cat - deserved everything he ever got!
                        Karen A/Publicist

Comment

I didn't get my first cat until I was 27. I grew up with beagles and I always thought that my first pet would be a dog. I was still in grad school at the time and I missed having a pet very much. I knew my lifestyle wasn't fair to a dog so I started doing a little research and decided that a cat might be able to adapt to apartment living and me working long hours.

I went to the SPCA and brought home an 8 week old kitten that I named Pico (a prefix for small in measurements). He was a grey striped tabby. I didn't really know how to treat a cat so he was treated a lot like a dog would be. I took him for walks in the park although I learned to walk in areas that are more fun for cats. I even took him camping and had him sleep in my tent with me.

He was a great companion and I still miss him. He died 4 years ago.

I now have a pair of Maine Coons, boy and a girl, I wanted my next cats to have company when I wasn't home although I am a stay at home mom now so that isn't that often. Pico taught me a lot about cats but I still have a lot to learn and Simba and Nazca are continuing my education.

I am officially a cat person. My daughter has been around cats from day 1 so it will be interesting to see if she will be a lifelong cat person. I still do miss having a dog and maybe someday I will have one again but he will have to integrate into the cat family as I will always have cats.

Kelly

Comment

<<Pico taught me a lot about cats but I still have a lot to learn and Simba and Nazca are continuing my education.>>

I think that most people in this forum would tell you that learning from cats is a never ending experience. Just when you think you have them figured out, they make a fool out of you.
                            sigpic

Comment

My first kitty.

The first kitty I knew was a male black and grey tabby named Tigger but he was old and I was just 2. I don't remember him I only know him from pictures of me and him cuddling together with a bottle in my mouth.
                              My first kitty was a female and her name was Jessica. I don't remember exactly what she looked like because I was too little but I think she was a grey and black tabby. My parents got her for me because they had to get rid of my German Shepard because she was too protective of me and bit one of my friends that was playing with me one day. Any ways, the people that we got Jessica from didn't tell us that she was sick and I took her home and fell in love with her but not too long after she died. I was heart broken so my mom decided to get me another kitty and her name was Cherry. I don't remember what she looked like either but I remember she was orange. She was a really sweet kitty and she actually ended up having kittens for us. Soon after we gave away her kittens she ran away and never came back. So then once again... my mom being the sweet woman she is and knowing my love for animals set out once again to get me another kitty. She brought me a black and white manx kitten from a junk yard one day and I fell in love. I had such a hard time naming him because at first I called him Oreo because he was black and white, and then I called him sox because he looked like he had white socks on his feet. Finally his name came down to baby. He was the fattest but most lovable cat I have quite known. Then I met the "cat lady" that lived behind us. Her name was Marie. Sweetest lady I have ever know with the biggest heart for cats. She fed all the strays in the neighborhod and brought a vet out every few months to do a check up on all her cats and the strays that lived in her back yard. But one morning she found a new born kitten in her back yard and the mother as well. She brought them both inside and searched for other kittens but found none. She told me about the kitten and I would go over and play with her every day she was a cute little calico kitty. Marie didn't want her and gave her to me when she was ready and Marie kept the mother cat. I took her home and she became my little girl and I named her Tana. Tana was real fond of Baby and Baby was real fond of her. But then we moved and gave baby away to an elderly lady who wanted him because she had just lost her husband and wanted a older, sweet cat. We took Tana with us and now she is a happy fat kitty at 8 years old and now she has a little sister who is about 3-4 weeks old and her name is Carina.
                              And we all lived happily every after! Hopefully...

LuLu, Tana, Carina

Comment

Working...
                              X