Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Cats & October...(advice for protecting your kitties)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Cats & October...(advice for protecting your kitties)

...it's October, and while Halloween is a lot of fun for a lot of people, there are a few nutjobs out there who like to hurt black cats--in fact, all cats. Be sure to keep your kitties inside as much as possible around the last week of October. Unfortunately, some wackos like to use holidays like Halloween as an excuse for cruelty.

I know my little black gurl (and all my other gurlz) are--as always--staying indoors, celebrating our version of Halloween with us safe and sound.

Also, be careful if you have candy sitting around--chocolate can be deadly to cats (and dogs). Make sure they can't get into the candy bowl!
    Edit: Also: remember candy made with Xylitol is deadly to dogs and cats.

Parties are also stressful times for many cats. If you're having a big party, you might want to make a comfortable place for your cats in a room where you can close the door--give them their litter box and food and water and a soft place to sleep. And watch out for decorations that have stringy parts or that might be small enough for them to swallow.

Have a safe and happy Halloween season this year--both you AND your furbles! And you might want to put a little food out on the mantle for any spirit kitties that might be wandering by, looking for a place to sleep for the most magical night of the year!

Yasmine
    Last edited by Yasmine; 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM.
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
    NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
    I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

I read this a little late. But, yes, we always keep Velcro (all black) safe during Halloween. He is an indoor kittie but has to live in the basement on Halloween since he likes to answer the door. I didn't even think about it until the first Halloween we had him and some nut goes, "OMG! You have a black cat. Scary".

Comment

Originally posted by carrierobicheaux
      I read this a little late. But, yes, we always keep Velcro (all black) safe during Halloween. He is an indoor kittie but has to live in the basement on Halloween since he likes to answer the door. I didn't even think about it until the first Halloween we had him and some nut goes, "OMG! You have a black cat. Scary".
      Yay for being indoor-only kitties! It truly does save a lot of grief, pain and heartache. And I love the name--Velcro. LOL...sometimes we call one of ours (who loves to 'cling') the Velcro cat.

Yasmine
      NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
      I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Yasmine
        ...it's October, and while Halloween is a lot of fun for a lot of people, there are a few nutjobs out there who like to hurt black cats--in fact, all cats. Be sure to keep your kitties inside as much as possible around the last week of October. Unfortunately, some wackos like to use holidays like Halloween as an excuse for cruelty.

I know my little black gurl (and all my other gurlz) are--as always--staying indoors, celebrating our version of Halloween with us safe and sound.

Also, be careful if you have candy sitting around--chocolate can be deadly to cats (and dogs). Make sure they can't get into the candy bowl!

Parties are also stressful times for many cats. If you're having a big party, you might want to make a comfortable place for your cats in a room where you can close the door--give them their litter box and food and water and a soft place to sleep. And watch out for decorations that have stringy parts or that might be small enough for them to swallow.

Have a safe and happy Halloween season this year--both you AND your furbles! And you might want to put a little food out on the mantle for any spirit kitties that might be wandering by, looking for a place to sleep for the most magical night of the year!

Yasmine
        chocolate can be deadly to cats (and dogs)!!is that true??my dog loves ice cream very much,sometimes he eats much more than i does!terrible!
        love is not easy,ease is not love.

my pets home

Comment

Originally posted by bleulune
          chocolate can be deadly to cats (and dogs)!!is that true??my dog loves ice cream very much,sometimes he eats much more than i does!terrible!
          Yes, that's true. DO NOT feed your dog chocolate icecream; chocolate is the third leading cause of poisoning in dogs. In icecream, chocolate is less concentrated, but you're still taking a risk, especially if he eats lots of it.

See this link: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_211.html

I'd suggest giving him "Frosty Paws" (chicken, beef, or liver flavor) or some similar product that is made especially for dogs instead. Check with your local grocer to see if they carry it. At the very least, stay away from chocolate icecream for him!

Cassy
          Cassy and Dante-the-Pyrit-Kittee
          Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
          Roving Staff - Cats Forums

Comment

Not only can chocolate be fatal in dogs, but milk is not good for their digestive system either. Ice cream is just something your dog shouldn't be eating. They make Frosty Paws, or Dogsters, which makes a peanut butter flavored one that Amy loves.

Take care,
            Jill Gallo /Manager
            The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by CasCat
              Yes, that's true. DO NOT feed your dog chocolate icecream; chocolate is the third leading cause of poisoning in dogs. In icecream, chocolate is less concentrated, but you're still taking a risk, especially if he eats lots of it.

See this link: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_211.html

I'd suggest giving him "Frosty Paws" (chicken, beef, or liver flavor) or some similar product that is made especially for dogs instead. Check with your local grocer to see if they carry it. At the very least, stay away from chocolate icecream for him!

Cassy
              My dog, Mariah, loves Frosty Paws. She eats all of her dinner just so she can get one from my dad, who she sees as Lord and Master of the Universe. She goes crazy, running around the living room, when she knows she's getting one. It's really funny.
              Mer with Isabelle,Chloe,Mariah,Samone,and Runt

Comment

Originally posted by Mer89
                My dog, Mariah, loves Frosty Paws. She eats all of her dinner just so she can get one from my dad, who she sees as Lord and Master of the Universe. She goes crazy, running around the living room, when she knows she's getting one. It's really funny.

Amy likes both the frost paws and the dogsters. Amy likes anything cold. She only drinks refrigerated water, room temp just won't cut it. I've started getting her the dogsters because they have the peanut butter flavor which is one of Amy's favorites, but I'd bet she'd eat any of them.
                Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo
                  Amy likes both the frost paws and the dogsters. Amy likes anything cold. She only drinks refrigerated water, room temp just won't cut it. I've started getting her the dogsters because they have the peanut butter flavor which is one of Amy's favorites, but I'd bet she'd eat any of them.
                  What on earth is a Frosty Paw? I don't have dogs, but it sounds like an ice cream just for dogs?

Yazza

Comment

What on earth is a Frosty Paw? I don't have dogs, but it sounds like an ice cream just for dogs?

Yazza
                    It is, and they make one called Cat Claws, or something like that for cats. It's a little cup of ice cream for dogs that has no dairy in it. Amy loves them, but I don't have the guts to try one and see if it really does taste like ice cream.
                    Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Good post Yasmine! Unfortunately, such things are way too common in my area. Or at least they used to be. I think that the ASPCA and the law and things are doing a good job of keeping such animal cruelty at bay though. But you still have to watch out for a new nut jobs who would like to be cruel to animals anyway. I love black cats as they are very beautiful. Unfortunately, some people are way too superstitious, suspicious, and intolerant and they just attack black cats because they see them as a symbol of "witchcraft" which is really quite ridiculous. Thank God for organizations like the ASPCA! As for PETA though, I'll stay away from them.

I love my Precious kitty cat!

Comment

Originally posted by ZooGirl02
                        Good post Yasmine! Unfortunately, such things are way too common in my area. Or at least they used to be. I think that the ASPCA and the law and things are doing a good job of keeping such animal cruelty at bay though. But you still have to watch out for a new nut jobs who would like to be cruel to animals anyway. I love black cats as they are very beautiful. Unfortunately, some people are way too superstitious, suspicious, and intolerant and they just attack black cats because they see them as a symbol of "witchcraft" which is really quite ridiculous. Thank God for organizations like the ASPCA! As for PETA though, I'll stay away from them.
                        Trust me, I stay as far away from PETA as possible. But there are good local shelters in a lot of areas that are no-kill and who try to place adoptive animals with as much care and love as possible.

We always try to warn people around the autumn about watching out for their black cats--well, all cats really. There *are* some pretty wacked out people out there.

Yasmine :colorful:

Comment

Trust me, I stay as far away from PETA as possible. But there are good local shelters in a lot of areas that are no-kill and who try to place adoptive animals with as much care and love as possible.

We always try to warn people around the autumn about watching out for their black cats--well, all cats really. There *are* some pretty wacked out people out there.

Yasmine :colorful:
                          Ah yeah I know what you mean Yasmine. Thankfully, we have a no kill shelter around here. By the way, your ":colorful:" smiley didn't show up for me. Would you have any idea why?

I love my Precious kitty cat!

Comment

Originally posted by ZooGirl02
                            Ah yeah I know what you mean Yasmine. Thankfully, we have a no kill shelter around here. By the way, your ":colorful:" smiley didn't show up for me. Would you have any idea why?
                            ACK...lol, yeah...I'm active on another forum board where they have a very similar smilie to the one I usually use here. There, it's :colorful: Here, it's ( fam03 with colons before and after the word). Sometimes I forget that this forum doesn't have that smilie here. There, the faces don't play leapfrog, but otherwise it's the same.

Yasmine

Comment

Bump because it's that time of year again!

Comment

Working...
                              X