Problems after dental surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems after dental surgery

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I'm going out of my mind with worry and could do with some advice.
    My cat is approx 11 years old, took her in for a health check last tues & was advised she needed dental work (3 teeth out). She had similar last year and came out with no problems, so arranged for the next day. When I picked her up on the weds evening, she was completely out of it, and although slightly better the next morning, still not right so took her back to the vets. Not eating or drinking at all, head pressing and obviously not happy.
    The vet said anaesthesia was the same as last time apart from the use of ketamine, which she obviously wasn't dealing with well. As she wasn't eating I couldnt give pain meds and her system wasn't being flushed out. Vet kept her in for the day, syringe fed and put in iv fluids. Mouth is healing well with no redness. She seemed much better when I picked her up that evening.
    Since then she refuses to eat or drink at all. She seems very distant, although following her routine of coming up to bed with us etc. Another visit sat morning to the vet for pain injections, we are now syringe feeding her at home. She's not herself at all and I'm worried sick. Have another vets appoint tomorrow, but I have the feeling that the vet is a bit puzzled as to Summers reaction.
    Anyone know what's going on? Read bad things about ketamine (too late!), but 4 days later does that have anything to do with her refusing to eat now, or is this something else? Her throat seems to be sore. Should I just be patient, or is something going on? Hate to think of her in pain.
    ​​​​​​​Sorry for the long post :-(

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to read about your kitty's problems with the anesthesia. This is not an uncommon problem unfortunately. We see it a lot here. Often even worse issues such as blindness and paralysis can happen. The key here is patience. Make sure your kitty ia getting food and enough fluids. If necessary, you might take her back to the vet for an infusion of fluids to help her process the meds. She might have caught a kitty cold as a result of being in the vet hospital, in which case she might not be interested in food due to a stuffy nose. Try getting some really stinky Fancy Feast and/or heating her food just a bit in the microwave to release some of the good smells. If you have to syringe feed her, do so under the vet's guidance as you don't want her to go too long without food and fluids. Another good appetite stimulant is human baby food, but make sure it does not contain any garlic. Be patient, give her lots of love and attention, and please, ask the vet why in the heck he added ketamine this time! Good luck...please keep us posted.

Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I wonder about a post procedure infection.
      The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Thanks both. No improvement overnight, she just wants to be on her own - first time in 10 years she's not slept on my feet at night. :-(
        Been persevering with the syringe feeding, mixing a recovery cat food with a bit of water.
        Going back to the vets later.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiejh View Post
          Thanks both. No improvement overnight, she just wants to be on her own - first time in 10 years she's not slept on my feet at night. :-(
          Been persevering with the syringe feeding, mixing a recovery cat food with a bit of water.
          Going back to the vets later.
          I've been lurking on the thread, Debbiejh. There isn't anything I can add except that we so often see that time is a healer. You're doing it all right - please keep us posted about how she is doing.
          Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Thank you. Feel a bit helpless, so that means a lot.

Comment

Thank you. Feel a bit helpless, so that means a lot.
              We do see trouble with anesthesia in cats quite often, sadly. Being a dog owner, I have no advice for you either. I'll pray for her though.
              Jill Gallo /Manager
              The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Summer says thanks x

Comment

I had the same thing happen many years ago with my Missy and it was due to the Ketamine. It took her 6 months to fully recover back to her normal self, but she did recover and lived a long normal life. I did have the vet mark her records to not use Ketamine on her and when I moved I had any new vet put that note on her records.
                  Janice

If you touch me, You'll know what happiness is
                  Trevor Nunn, T S Eliot, Andrew Lloyd Webber

Comment

Summer says thanks x
                    What a pretty girl - and with those gorgeous eyes!
                    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Hi Mountain-mama, many thanks for the post.
                      I'm convinced it's the ketamine, it's heartbreaking to see her like she is at the moment. Did Missy stop eating altogether? How long was it before she started eating/drinking by herself? I know it's been less than a week, but I'm at a loss at what I can do to make her feel any better.

Comment

Hi Mountain-mama, many thanks for the post.
                        I'm convinced it's the ketamine, it's heartbreaking to see her like she is at the moment. Did Missy stop eating altogether? How long was it before she started eating/drinking by herself? I know it's been less than a week, but I'm at a loss at what I can do to make her feel any better.
                        Missy did not stop eating or drinking, but she was totally paranoid. You might want to try to move her feeding dishes to a very quiet and private place and see if that helps.
                        Janice

Comment

Summer says thanks x
                          Awwww, what a pretty girl. I love black cats! Hang in there, I know it's discouraging and sad to see her like this but she most likely will get better. Get some really stinky Famcy Feast we food to encourage her to eat. Let us know what the vet says.
                          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Hi, the vet now thinks the anaesthesia has brought an underlying condition to the front, took her last night for bloods, should have the results today. She had a temperature so was given an antibiotic shot too. Taking her back in today for fluids and will pick her up tonight.
                            It's selfish but I'm finding it really difficult that she doesn't want to be anywhere near us...although I'm not surprised at the moment, she's not a fan of being syringe fed at all, poor little thing just wants to be left alone.

Comment

Hi, the vet now thinks the anaesthesia has brought an underlying condition to the front, took her last night for bloods, should have the results today. She had a temperature so was given an antibiotic shot too. Taking her back in today for fluids and will pick her up tonight.
                              It's selfish but I'm finding it really difficult that she doesn't want to be anywhere near us...although I'm not surprised at the moment, she's not a fan of being syringe fed at all, poor little thing just wants to be left alone.
                              When a cat is not feeling well it's very normal for them to want to be alone, it's part of their normal instinct. I am glad your vet is doing blood work and hope the fluids and antibiotics will help her to improve. Keep us posted.
                              Janice

Comment

Working...
                              X