No announcement yet.

Raising Feral Kittens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your home sounds like an idyllic residence for your kittens. My cats have always been totally indoors cats (as is the norm here in the US but definitely not, say, in England) so I have no concerns about predators. Friends allow their cats outside and when there are the occasional coyote or hawk, they hope the kitties are scared enough to head home. There have been losses occasionally of cats and small dogs which is only one of the reasons I keep mine indoors. The statistics for outdoor and indoor cats are alarming - outdoors only cats live about 18 months on average here! Indoors ones, sometimes two decades or more.
    I agree with you that your two are pretty much past any health dangers (whew!!) and should provide you (and hopefully us) with some great pictures and stories for years to come./
    I don't interfere in marital quarrels but I really am onside with you about the dangers to your babies of being outdoors at night. Who knows what an owl might think seeing them. If it thinks, 'dinner,' then they could be in big trouble.
    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

• I think your home is much more open than the average US home. Many here keep cats exclusively indoors but no means all. One of the biggest danger for outside cats here are coyotes which are around all times of the day, and sometimes large hawks. In your case, keeping them in as much as you can untilthey get too big for the owls is probably the best thing to do. We canít protect them from everything,...all we can do is our best!

Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

• Thanks Karen and Diane. Yes home is idyllic and today, a holiday, the farm is quiet so the little puddies have been snoozing for much of the day in the sun on the veranda. The big cats are out there, so the little one are just copying, so sweet. Pic of the house attached, and all the foliage around it which the little ones are playing in.

I would LOVE to have indoor cats and have them as protected as they could possibly be, I think that would be my dream. Not practical here though and, when I think about it, we have never had an issue with the safety of any of our animals - cats or dogs - they have all (bar the epileptic one) got to adulthood, so I guess the dangers are manageable. You're right Diane, we can only do our best. Karen they definitely won't be going out at night for a long time. I sleep easy knowing they are shut in the tv room and safe. I'm away tomorrow for 4 days and James will keep them shut in when he, or any house staff, are not about. A bit boring for the little ones, but peace of mind for the rest of us!

Comment

• What a beautiful setting....so green! Itís all brown in California now and will be until fall.

Comment

• A beautiful place to live.
            sigpic

Comment

• Your home is breathtakingly beautiful!! Lucky furkids to have found you
              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

• Hi all

Just back from a few days away for work. This is my morning view, isnít it just the sweetest thing!!!!!! As my sister said, she had to look closely to see where one ends and another starts

Comment

• I love your fuzzy family. I am envious.
                  The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

• All change...

Comment

• Originally posted by MW&MW View Post
                      I love your fuzzy family. I am envious.
                      I missed them SO much when I was away!!! Leave again tomorrow, but only for 3 days then thankfully back for a while

Comment

• How funny, Norman lies down just like Stanley <rb> used to, with his right paw extended. He looks totally comfy and happy with the babies. So sweet.
                        Karen A/Publicist

Comment

• Those pictures are precious, and pure bliss.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Elizabeth-Anne View Post

I missed them SO much when I was away!!! Leave again tomorrow, but only for 3 days then thankfully back for a while
                            They have you wrapped around their little paws! We have kittens at the shelter where I volunteer..soooooooo cute.

Comment

• Awww, a cat pile.
                              Jill Gallo /Manager
                              The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

• They are so heavenly, I love them so much I got back last night from the Serengeti and had a good cuddle with them before they went to bed. I can see that the little boy is still quite thin, but itís hard to see if he still has diarrhoea or not; Iíve followed him around for much of today, but as he is outside a lot - in the depths of the flowerbed - I canít always see what he is up to.

Before I left, I wormed them both again (with the second, more African-type wormer) and then they have been getting the gut bio gel whilst Iíve been away. Their diet is consistent, poached chicken, Whiskas kitten food and rice. Iím not really sure what else to do if his diarrhoea continues, except to then realise that something quite serious is afoot.

I am also yet to give them their first cat vaccinations (the vet said to wait until they were clear of wormers, antibiotics etc etc). I picked up two sets of injections (per kitten) of Felocell (for Feline FVR - both our vets here recommended this) which I will inject tomorrow (first dose) and second dose a month later.

And then I still have to give them their rabies jabs, but will do that after the Felocell.

Both kittens are still full of life and their coats are glossy, eyes bright etc. Iím not sure why the little fellow is still a bit thin, but now I am back I can keep a close eye on him. As I type, they are both lying out on the veranda in the warm sun with their surrogate puppy mother, so so sweet.
                                Last edited by Elizabeth-Anne; Today, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X