Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raising Feral Kittens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Norman could be a fourth cousin twice removed to my late Stanley. Red Boys are the sweetest - I feel sure he will come around.
    Karen A/Publicist

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by BeckyMorgan View Post
      Have you tried bribery? If Norman gets one of his Very Favorite Treats every time a kitten is nearby, he may be more forgiving.
      Becky he is being hand fed with all his favourite treats And since I have been around for the last couple of days, he is back inside more (still pouring with rain outside so I don’t blame him) and I know where he is - in his little tented den, hiding from the world. But he is around and he is eating, so that is good

      Comment


      • #93
        QUOTE=KarenA;n540026]Norman could be a fourth cousin twice removed to my late Stanley. Red Boys are the sweetest - I feel sure he will come around.[/QUOTE]

        Orange cats are the very best I have always loved them. My husband talked about having very special orange cats when he was growing up, so when I saw Norman - at about 4 weeks - I just had to bring him home.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
          Nice pictures of Norman. Many feel red boys are special. The other day when Norman hissed at you, could he detect the kitten's scent on your hands, etc.?
          They definitely are quite different I think, well at least in my experience of having Norman. He is the most sensitive and complicated of cats, in every situation, but I would never be without him. Yes, I am sure that was the case....that he can smell the little ones. Ditto with my husband, but he just doesn’t give him the really hard time that he gives me. I think we have a perhaps typical mother/teenage son relationship (have never had kids, asides from furry ones, so not speaking from experience!) and it is often fairly fraught.

          That said, yesterday I took the dogs on a short walk around the farm and I really hoped Norman would join us, he and Weasel love doing farm walks with us. Sure enough, after about 5 minutes I heard a little squeak and there he was bouncing along behind. He loves his walks, so I will try and do a short one every day as I know that cheers him up.

          Comment


          • #95
            Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 09.07.13.png
            Originally posted by DianeP View Post
            It looks as if you’re doing all the right things to keep the household settled. I think all will be well in time. For Norman, being a spoiled child, it’s only natural for him to demand extra attention as payoff for tolerating the fuzzies. I love how much you love your furkids. We all understand perfectly!
            It does keep me up at night but we’re slightly back on track again I think this forum is a wonderful place, with huge thanks to you all. I have one girlfriend here who is as besotted with her animals as I am, but that’s it really. My life does revolve around them, and their happiness and security is the most important thing. Even after 25 years living in Africa, I have not become inured to the difficult life that a lot of un-owned animals lead here, it always breaks my heart. There is a wonderful non-profit organisation - Mbwa wa Africa - that is based in the nearest town to us and my goodness do they do a wonderful job. They take in a lot of waifs and strays and care for them the best they can; two friends who I think started with a couple of cats and are now inundated. They do regular neutering programs and help educate people in how to better take care of their animals. I would find the work heart-breaking - the other day they found five tiny kittens, eyes still closed; they were freezing cold and wet (the long rains season that we are in now is not great for animals) and sadly they all died that night, but -as they said - at least during their final hours they were warm and safe and had milk in their little tummies. These two women are absolute angels for sure!

            Comment


            • #96
              We are in the middle of “kitten season” here with what is supposed to be warm spring weather. But we’re getting unusual cold and rain. The shelter where I volunteer is getting more and more kittens in....such adorable little guys! They get adopted fast, but I worry about all the kittens that haven’t found their way to a shelter.....
              Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by DianeP View Post
                We are in the middle of “kitten season” here with what is supposed to be warm spring weather. But we’re getting unusual cold and rain. The shelter where I volunteer is getting more and more kittens in....such adorable little guys! They get adopted fast, but I worry about all the kittens that haven’t found their way to a shelter.....
                I so admire you for volunteering in a shelter, I think I would do it if I lived closer to the Mbwa wa Africa place (it’s quite far from where I live). I worry that I would just find it too hard to deal with, all the little animals in varying states of distress, I would want to take them all home. I imagine that you feel the same. I am glad to hear that they are usually adopted very fast, and hopefully to really good homes. That must make it all so rewarding

                I look at our little menagerie here - out of our 8 four-legged children we have, 6 of them were strays and unwanted and thank goodness they found their way into our lives. Animals are my absolute Achilles heel and it can totally flatten me. I remember driving into Arusha and seeing some kids kicking a cat into the road where it was getting knocked by cars driving past. I screeched to a halt and stopped all traffic, grabbed the injured cat and put it in the back of my car - to take it to the vet, screaming at the children all the while. I must have looked quite a sight!!! I realised the cat was dying, but I covered him with a blanket, and the car was quiet and warm and he died soon after but in a safe place. I cannot bear cruelty to animals in any form. I think to stop yourself going crazy, you have to look at the small things you can do, the little lives that you can save and make better. I just have to look at my two new little fuzzies, right now both sleeping on my lap as I type, and I have to keep my focus on them.

                BTW, Norman is ‘in the building’. He’s in a hidden ‘day bed’ and has been around mostly since yesterday. He still doesn’t like them, but he is around for meals and he is no longer hissing at them. Small steps, small steps...

                Comment


                • #98
                  Trying to make it up to Norman - Day 2. Sitting out in the garden, after a short walk around the coffee nursery. Looking out over the view, with him on my lap - a beer in hand. enjoying the fact that it is not raining for once. Weasel the tabby cat and Maya the Great Dane joined us on our excursion.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Elizabeth-Anne View Post

                    I so admire you for volunteering in a shelter, I think I would do it if I lived closer to the Mbwa wa Africa place (it’s quite far from where I live). I worry that I would just find it too hard to deal with, all the little animals in varying states of distress, I would want to take them all home. I imagine that you feel the same. I am glad to hear that they are usually adopted very fast, and hopefully to really good homes. That must make it all so rewarding

                    I look at our little menagerie here - out of our 8 four-legged children we have, 6 of them were strays and unwanted and thank goodness they found their way into our lives. Animals are my absolute Achilles heel and it can totally flatten me. I remember driving into Arusha and seeing some kids kicking a cat into the road where it was getting knocked by cars driving past. I screeched to a halt and stopped all traffic, grabbed the injured cat and put it in the back of my car - to take it to the vet, screaming at the children all the while. I must have looked quite a sight!!! I realised the cat was dying, but I covered him with a blanket, and the car was quiet and warm and he died soon after but in a safe place. I cannot bear cruelty to animals in any form. I think to stop yourself going crazy, you have to look at the small things you can do, the little lives that you can save and make better. I just have to look at my two new little fuzzies, right now both sleeping on my lap as I type, and I have to keep my focus on them.

                    BTW, Norman is ‘in the building’. He’s in a hidden ‘day bed’ and has been around mostly since yesterday. He still doesn’t like them, but he is around for meals and he is no longer hissing at them. Small steps, small steps...
                    I just want to grab Norman and give him a nice hug!! I'm really happy to see that he is getting over his huff. Don't be surprised if he actually adopts your little characters!!
                    Karen A/Publicist

                    Comment


                    • Sorry, I know I rather inundate you all with images, but this is a ‘first’ that needs to be seen.

                      Weasel, always the easiest of cats, was always going to be the first one to fall. Initially I’m not sure he realised his chair had another occupant, but then he did and he was not bothered at all!!

                      And then Norman stood up to sniff the little one on the chair, sadly I do not have photographic evidence, but he did not growl or hiss. The thaw is beginning

                      Comment


                      • And if anyone is mean, there is always surrogate mum to hide behind.

                        Comment


                        • Your two little ones have a body guard. How sweet. And Weasel and the kitten is adorable. This forum loves pictures!
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Elizabeth-Anne View Post

                            I so admire you for volunteering in a shelter, I think I would do it if I lived closer to the Mbwa wa Africa place (it’s quite far from where I live). I worry that I would just find it too hard to deal with, all the little animals in varying states of distress, I would want to take them all home. I imagine that you feel the same. I am glad to hear that they are usually adopted very fast, and hopefully to really good homes. That must make it all so rewarding

                            I look at our little menagerie here - out of our 8 four-legged children we have, 6 of them were strays and unwanted and thank goodness they found their way into our lives. Animals are my absolute Achilles heel and it can totally flatten me. I remember driving into Arusha and seeing some kids kicking a cat into the road where it was getting knocked by cars driving past. I screeched to a halt and stopped all traffic, grabbed the injured cat and put it in the back of my car - to take it to the vet, screaming at the children all the while. I must have looked quite a sight!!! I realised the cat was dying, but I covered him with a blanket, and the car was quiet and warm and he died soon after but in a safe place. I cannot bear cruelty to animals in any form. I think to stop yourself going crazy, you have to look at the small things you can do, the little lives that you can save and make better. I just have to look at my two new little fuzzies, right now both sleeping on my lap as I type, and I have to keep my focus on them.

                            BTW, Norman is ‘in the building’. He’s in a hidden ‘day bed’ and has been around mostly since yesterday. He still doesn’t like them, but he is around for meals and he is no longer hissing at them. Small steps, small steps...
                            Somehow I got over wanting to take them all home...it came with age, I think, when I realized most of them will outlive me! What a beautiful place you’re u have .... and it does look like Nirman might br coming around a bit.
                            Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

                            Comment


                            • Yhere’s no such thing as too many pictures! The photo of the dog and the two kittens is priceless!
                              Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Elizabeth-Anne View Post
                                And if anyone is mean, there is always surrogate mum to hide behind.
                                Now that’s cute!
                                The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X