Surprise phone call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise phone call

It is a surprise when the person actually wants to talk to you and not make a sales pitch. It was a call from the vet hospital that would do the radioactive iodine treatment for Misty when that time arrives. They have frequently dealt with my vet, so he knows the pre-treatment process. It would be a four day stay, and one has most of the morning to drop her off, and the treatment is done in the afternoon. They can supply all the different foods and treats, so I won't need to leave any. I also cannot leave any article of clothing for her to be comforted with, since rules would then require it to be isolated for three months. I don't intend to isolate her when she returns, and simply use the regular kitty litter, and isolate the clumps for three months rather then try to switch the litter for three weeks in all the boxes. People may wonder about the costs, but there are costs involved with pilling and monthly thyroid function tests that are not trivial either. Once and done seems a better approach. So far pilling has proceeded quite well. She doesn't seem to fight me as much. But that is not to say her tongue doesn't go in high gear to try and push the pill out. I have tried to give her a treat after pilling her, but that hasn't worked well. It gets a crowd, as Elsa is determined to get it. And Misty doesn't like to be crowded when eating.
    sigpic

When Maggie had her treatment she had to stay for 7 days. I don’t remember having to isolate her after that though.
    The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Isolation after was simply about the kitty litter. If she is in one room and has access to only one or two litter boxes, those are the only ones that need the special precautions for disposal. It is about a three week process, and they can provide special flushable litter. It is really not practical here. She doesn't use the upstairs box, and will usually use only three of the four downstairs ones, I think due to the type of litter that she prefers. I provide two types of clumping litter.
      Pilling her now is getting quite easy. And she is getting treats after which may help.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
        Isolation after was simply about the kitty litter. If she is in one room and has access to only one or two litter boxes, those are the only ones that need the special precautions for disposal. It is about a three week process, and they can provide special flushable litter. It is really not practical here. She doesn't use the upstairs box, and will usually use only three of the four downstairs ones, I think due to the type of litter that she prefers. I provide two types of clumping litter.
        Pilling her now is getting quite easy. And she is getting treats after which may help.
        There has got to be a Marvel super hero story in all of this. “Exposed to a radioactive kitty clump, Calico becomes..……(fill in the hero name)
        The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

I know if it were me I’d want to just get it over with. Is there any info on the effectiveness of one treatment vs another?
          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

The radioactive iodine treatment is normally one and done. With medication, there is daily pilling, monthly tests, and I went through that with Kalki (rb) and I don't want to go through that again. Kalki did real well on the medication, and I hid the pill in a capsule of glucosamine/chondroitin which she gobbled up and she was on the pills for several years. But she kept losing weight and that is what really did her in. She lost all reserves,and the will to go on. My vet has said they have since learned there can be a digestive aspect to hyperthyroidism, so that will be monitored if she starts to lose weight after the treatment and giving her a chance to gain weight back.
            sigpic

Comment

After going through this with Sabrina if I had to go through it again and could afford it I would choose the iodine treatment.

Comment

I have worked out a very nice approach to pilling Misty, not that she struggles. In goes the pill, and then comes 3-4 pieces of Friskies Party Mix, which she really loves. She gobbles them up, as further security that she is not hiding the pill in her mouth. I even think she is starting to look forward to the pill.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X