What does your cat's tail tell you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your cat's tail tell you?

I found this interesting chart and was wondering what you all think about it in basis of what we know about the behavior of cats:

The link is here: http://www.messybeast.com/images/cat-chat3.png

So what do you think? The only thing I disagree with is the bristled tail does not always mean the cat is angry but sometimes it means the cat is scared.

I love my Precious kitty cat!

I agree that a fluffed up tail does not mean anger all the time. I think it means more frightened or scared. I also disagree with the picture of potentially aggressive. Either that, or my cats are potentially aggressive alot of the time, and I know that is not the case.
    sigpic

Comment

WIth the straight-up tail, sometimes the tip hooks just because the tip hooks; I know a couple of cats who cannot completely straighten their tail even when they're quivering. And I agree on the bristled-tail meaning fear as well as agression. Other than that, I think they're pretty good.
      Cassy and Sebastian-da-Ninja-Kittee
      Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
      Roving Staff - Cats Forums

Comment

Cicero fluffs up his tail when he's playing chase and wants to look big and scary!!!
        Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by CasCat
          WIth the straight-up tail, sometimes the tip hooks just because the tip hooks; I know a couple of cats who cannot completely straighten their tail even when they're quivering. And I agree on the bristled-tail meaning fear as well as agression. Other than that, I think they're pretty good.
          With my crew, a hooked over tip is a friendly and enthusiastic greeting, given only to my husband and myself. A straight up tail seems to indicate friendly interest, such as with trusted friends and visitors.

PS Good find!
          "There are indeed monsters under the bed"
          Ciao Ciao Spookie, sweet little grey girl (23 March 2006 - 12 May 2014)
          And "Sabah Al-Khair" to our mischievous little tortie tripod, Luna (01 September 2015 - Gotcha!)

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty
            I agree that a fluffed up tail does not mean anger all the time. I think it means more frightened or scared. I also disagree with the picture of potentially aggressive. Either that, or my cats are potentially aggressive alot of the time, and I know that is not the case.
            Same here, for mine it is more a state of neutrality. So going by this, I suppose it could be potentially aggressive, or potentially anything for that matter!
            And "Sabah Al-Khair" to our mischievous little tortie tripod, Luna (01 September 2015 - Gotcha!)

Comment

I agree, Mazy's tail is often in the "potentially agressiv" pose, and all it emans is she wants me to chase her. And her tail never stops moving, but as that can indcate interest I guess that fits my busy nosey MAzy!

Ootay's big fluffy tail kind of floats in the air as she trots around, and Tolly's tail is a member of the family.

Gail
              http://www.pawproject.org/

http://catinfo.org/

Comment

I agree. my kitten does that when he is playing.

Comment

I decided to do a test. Katie usually walks with her tail in the 'potentially aggressive' position. But simply pet her, and the tail immediately raises. That is why I take issue with that picture of tail position.

But, what is not pictured is what I saw a couple of time, which is a selective tail fluffing! Angel has fluffed only portions of her tail several times when frightened, and it is a laugh riot.
                  sigpic

Comment

I decided to do a test. Katie usually walks with her tail in the 'potentially aggressive' position. But simply pet her, and the tail immediately raises. That is why I take issue with that picture of tail position.

But, what is not pictured is what I saw a couple of time, which is a selective tail fluffing! Angel has fluffed only portions of her tail several times when frightened, and it is a laugh riot.
                    I get that phenonemon here too. Mazy will puff just the end where she's attached to her tail. Very funny to see her body, then a bit of puffed tail, then the long ringed part still normal, waving around. Bibbs (rb)used to puff up just the tip and I called it her club tail. Hilarious. Cats tails are a never ending souce of amusement in this house!

Gail

Comment

Originally posted by GailS
                      I get that phenonemon here too. Mazy will puff just the end where she's attached to her tail. Very funny to see her body, then a bit of puffed tail, then the long ringed part still normal, waving around. Bibbs (rb)used to puff up just the tip and I called it her club tail. Hilarious. Cats tails are a never ending souce of amusement in this house!Gail
                      Ozzie just puffs up the tip of her tail when she is startled and then come over for the fur to be smoothed and soothed. She gets very cross if I laugh at her when she is like that.... flick, flick goes the tail and she stalks off in disgust. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Qaytbey
                        Ozzie just puffs up the tip of her tail when she is startled and then come over for the fur to be smoothed and soothed. She gets very cross if I laugh at her when she is like that.... flick, flick goes the tail and she stalks off in disgust. :-)
                        It's true that cats do not like to be laughed at unless they are being funny on purpose.

Gail

Comment

Skyler used to poof up just the base of his tail when he was startled (the tip remained smooth and flat). He looked very goofy when that happened, and we'd try very hard not to laugh while soothing him...

Cassy

Comment

Originally posted by CasCat
                            Skyler used to poof up just the base of his tail when he was startled (the tip remained smooth and flat). He looked very goofy when that happened, and we'd try very hard not to laugh while soothing him... Cassy
                            Did he used to get all upset if you DID laugh at him?

(Love the picture - Spook does that too, usually when I am doing something complicated. She usally manages to switch programmes on that I didn't even know existed! How humbling!)

Comment

Did he used to get all upset if you DID laugh at him?
                              Naturally! He was a Cat, after all... <grin>

(Love the picture - Spook does that too, usually when I am doing something complicated. She usally manages to switch programmes on that I didn't even know existed! How humbling!)
                              I used to come home from work and wonder why odd windows were open on my computer. Then my husband stayed home from work sick one day... and spotted where Sebastian liked to take afternoon naps! <grin>

(I keep the lid closed, or nearly closed, these days. Less fur in the keys...)

Cassy

Comment

Working...
                              X