This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) Resources

There are several wonderful resources online for CRF but two of the best are:

www.felinecrf.com and the Feline-CRF-Support group on yahoo groups. For anyone with a kitty that has CRF I'd strongly recommend getting on the yahoo group as this is made up of individuals who have been caring for CRF kitties and the information is wonderful. And www.felinecrf.com is a fabulous place to get lots of info on caring for CRF kitties.
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
    www.nwcrittersitter.com

Originally posted by MarciD

www.felinecrf.com and the Feline-CRF-Support group on yahoo groups. For anyone with a kitty that has CRF I'd strongly recommend getting on the yahoo group as this is made up of individuals who have been caring for CRF kitties and the information is wonderful. And www.felinecrf.com is a fabulous place to get lots of info on caring for CRF kitties.
    I'm glad such sites exist. The internet can be a great resource for people.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

This needs to be moved to become a sticky, or whatever the term is for a readily available resource post, rather than searching through the archives.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MarciD

Thanks for the links, Marci -- they are valuable resources.
        Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP
          Thanks for the links, Marci -- they are valuable resources.
          The yahoo group is a particularly good resource. I'm a subscriber to that group and have gotten a lot of wonderful info from others on the list.
          Marci DeLisle
          www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by MarciD View Post

Marci,

I went to felinecrf.com and now I feel even worse about Sarah! <SSSS> No, really, I appreciate your suggestion to go to that link as I had not realized that there are websites devoted to the disease until I saw your message topic. I need that and other similar websites as I can see we are beginning a battle for survival and quality of life, however short it may be.

So, thanks!
            Markey

Comment

Originally posted by MarciD View Post
              The yahoo group is a particularly good resource. I'm a subscriber to that group and have gotten a lot of wonderful info from others on the list.
              OK - that is good to know!!
              Markey

Comment

A note on renal diets -- it is a misconception that renal diets are simply low-protein diets. They actually incorporate a variety of modifications, including limited amounts of phosphorus and salt, high levels of omega-3 polyunstaurated fatty acids, fiber and Vitamin D, and a neutral pH effect. It is thought that the principal benefits of renal diets may not be a result of the low protein itself. So a regular diet that just limits protein is not likely to help and may in fact hurt a cat in CRF.
                Dr. Gus

Comment

Thank you so much, I just posted about this subject before I saw the sticky message.

Comment

Protien to Phosphorous Ratio of common meats

Hey everyone,

A month ago my 3 year old cat, Killian, was diagnosed with renal failure. As he is an indoor cat, it was very surprising and devastating. He's been doing well on a daily subQ drip, and just received a course of antibiotics that -may- have taken care of the problem. (Energy, appetite, and his breath no longer smells like ammonia mixed with rot)

I gave a lot of thought to whether to follow a kidney diet or not and ultimately decided not to. First of all, he would NOT eat it at all, and since at the time he was diagnosed he wouldn't eat anything, mixing it with his old food didn't help. So I did some research, and with respect to the vet who posted about the importance of using pet food formulated for renal failure, I decided against doing so. My reasons are the following:
                    1. I did not think a low protein diet was appropriate for a cat only 3 years old with a generally high metabolism and a need to be able to maintain and repair his body, and assumed most research on the utility of the diet were based on elderly cats since they are the ones who typically get CRF
                    2. After reviewing the literature, some helpful links to which were posted in the Feline CRF Information Center (under "dietary management") I came down on the "the phosphorous is the culprit" side of the "is protein bad" argument.
                    3. I do not trust commercial pet foods that contain byproduct, but there weren't any high quality foods available
                    4. I decided that if worse came to worst, the quality of his life was more important than the length of it.
                    5. I couldn't afford to buy wet food designed for renal diet (I'm a student), but canned tuna/chicken is less expensive on the whole. (except, watch out for that salt content)

So I went to nutritiondata.com and looked up meats that are typically fed to cats. I wanted to feed a high protein, low phosphorous diet which meant comparing the ratio of protein to phosphorous. In the end, I have been feeding him chicken and tuna because they have some of the lowest ratios. He has gained a pound on this diet (now he weighs 8lbs) and seems pretty happy, but I am also planning to add vitamins from Dr.Goodpet (stupid, stupid to have overlooked vitamins, but I was so panicked I wasn't thinking clearly).

Here is my data for anyone who is interested in it. But please think very carefully about what you want to do and do some research yourself. (p.s. sorry about the inconsistent significant figures)

Protein :: Phosphorous

Tuna, light, canned in water, without salt, drained
                    42g :: .269g
                    1 :: .006

turkey, dark meat, cooked, roasted
                    40 g :: .286
                    1 g :: .007

Chicken
                    43g:: .319g
                    1 :: .0074

lamb babyfood
                    3g :: .0229g
                    1 :: .0076

Tuna, light, canned in oil, without salt, drained
                    50g :: .532g
                    1 :: .011

duck
                    25g :: .278]
                    1 :: .011

Whitefish
                    38 :: .535
                    1 :: .014

Egg
                    6.5g : .103g
                    1 :: .015

chicken liver
                    5 g :: .0831
                    1 :: 0166

Salmon
                    90g :: 1.494 g
                    1:: .017

Good luck to you and your cat!

Comment

Congratulations on doing so much research and helping your cat. You mentioned vitamins but I am more concerned about enzymes. I do know that cats can get them from eating meat but you have to ensure that your cat is getting enough enzymes and I know there are companies that make supplements for people who make their own cat food. Of course the main thing I am thinking about is Taurine, but somehow I suspect you already know about this and you are taking care of it.

Comment

Like Janice, I appreciate your thinking on this subject but am worried about his intake of taurine. If you can supplement with this, then he will continue to thrive on what you are feeding him - obviously avoid onions in his diet also (especially in baby food) as they can cause anemia. (I am not a vet). Good luck with your boy. What's his name? Please keep us up on how he is doing.
                        Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Crf

To Ganbarou,

First of all, get well wishes to Killian and congrats to you for being such an informed and caring cat parent.
                          I have a question - do indoor cats usually not get renal failure? Do you know the stats of indoor vs. outdoor cats that contract this disease?
                          If so, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance,
                          Catinfor17

Comment

My indoors cat, Blanche <rb> did get renal failure. She had hyperthyroidism and while I had that fixed with Radioactive Iodine treatment, eventually I guess it weakened her kidneys.
                            Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by catinfor17 View Post
                              To Ganbarou,

First of all, get well wishes to Killian and congrats to you for being such an informed and caring cat parent.
                              I have a question - do indoor cats usually not get renal failure? Do you know the stats of indoor vs. outdoor cats that contract this disease?
                              If so, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance,
                              Catinfor17
                              Indoor vs outdoor doesn't really have any bearing on whether a cat with end up in renal failure. However, acute renal failure is caused by toxins etc so an outdoor cat is more likely to have exposure to toxins but food borne toxins can cause it too. Chronic renal failure is more likely to hit older cats but if there's a genetic disposition to renal failure it can happen to cats of any age. All my kitties have come from the same feral colony and I've lost 5 relatively young cats to renal failure and all were related so we can assume that genetics were in play here.
                              Marci DeLisle
                              www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Working...
                              X