disposal of uneaten cat food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disposal of uneaten cat food

What do you do with your leftover cat food? I used to just throw it away, none of my cats have ever been garbage diggers until the advent of Mazy. But if I put discarded cat food in the trash, Mazy will make a mess digging it out. (My trash is in a closed cupboard and hung elevated, but she manages, just the same)

Even if I pack the uneaten food into an empty milk carton she still tears the trash to shreds, the little beast. Does anyone else have other tricks? I wonder if flushing it would affect the septic in an adverse way?

Gail
    http://www.pawproject.org/

http://catinfo.org/

Originally posted by GailS
    What do you do with your leftover cat food? I used to just throw it away, none of my cats have ever been garbage diggers until the advent of Mazy. But if I put discarded cat food in the trash, Mazy will make a mess digging it out. (My trash is in a closed cupboard and hung elevated, but she manages, just the same)

Even if I pack the uneaten food into an empty milk carton she still tears the trash to shreds, the little beast. Does anyone else have other tricks? I wonder if flushing it would affect the septic in an adverse way?

Gail
    I'm sure it is biodegradable so flushing it should cause no problems.. however, I do not know a lot about septic tanks..
    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

You might look into getting one of those child latches for the cabinet. I had to do that for my cabinets in the kitchen to stop them from opening and going in.
      sigpic

Comment

Gail
        I used to put mine out for the ferals and other wild animals, but I stopped doing that and now just put it in the trash.

--- Chris

Comment

Too much food that hasn't been processed by the digestive system can sometimes foul up a septic system. I'd put it in the trash rather than try to flush it.
          Marci DeLisle
          Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
          Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
          Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
          Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
          www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Gail
            I put it in the garbage disposal -- am I the only one that has one of those?
            Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I'm a garbage disposal stuffer & quarterly purchaser of Drano professional strength

Ann

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty
                You might look into getting one of those child latches for the cabinet. I had to do that for my cabinets in the kitchen to stop them from opening and going in.
                well my goodness why didn't I THINK of that?! LOL! I just installed a sliding lock on the etegare cabinet, I can put another one, or a hook and eye, on the trash cupboard. Thanks! I won't use child proof though, those are too difficult for my arhtritic hands to manipulate. A simple hook and eye will suffce. This is the fourth door or cupbard that will have had a lock against Mazy added.

Gail
                http://www.pawproject.org/

http://catinfo.org/

Comment

Actually, mine are a simple friction latch, and you press down on the finger and it no longer pushes against the top piece. This is not like the child proof pill bottles. For instance:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ba...4&Go.y=8&Go=Go
                  sigpic

Comment

Gail
                    I throw out at least 1/4 a tin every day....it doesn't keep - even WITH the plastic lids on. It mildews in 24 hours, and the smell goes 'off'.

I just put it in a plastic garbage bag, tie the bag up, and throw it in the dumpster every day.

Try tying up your garbage bags, and put the whole thing in a box, or one of the plastic pails tht litter or detergent comes in. A huge tupperware would do as well. Cats can't open those.
                    Home of the Northern Mews: Boo and Cookie Arabella (from Yukon) & Orange Julius Caesar (from Alaska)
                    Remembering Latte (2000-2012), Bali (1998-2011)

"I came. I saw. I conquered."
                    Orange Julius Caesar, before meeting Boo

Comment

well my goodness why didn't I THINK of that?! LOL! I just installed a sliding lock on the etegare cabinet, I can put another one, or a hook and eye, on the trash cupboard. Thanks! I won't use child proof though, those are too difficult for my arhtritic hands to manipulate. A simple hook and eye will suffce. This is the fourth door or cupbard that will have had a lock against Mazy added.

Gail
                      I just use a piece of clear duct tape on my cabinets in the bathroom and kitchen that I don't want opened. Easy for ME to open, and the stickiness stays for months.
                      Home of the Northern Mews: Boo and Cookie Arabella (from Yukon) & Orange Julius Caesar (from Alaska)
                      Remembering Latte (2000-2012), Bali (1998-2011)

"I came. I saw. I conquered."
                      Orange Julius Caesar, before meeting Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Siena
                        I throw out at least 1/4 a tin every day....it doesn't keep - even WITH the plastic lids on. It mildews in 24 hours, and the smell goes 'off'.

I just put it in a plastic garbage bag, tie the bag up, and throw it in the dumpster every day.

Try tying up your garbage bags, and put the whole thing in a box, or one of the plastic pails tht litter or detergent comes in. A huge tupperware would do as well. Cats can't open those.
                        Canned food that's kept covered and in the refrigerator shouldn't mold in 24 hrs. I keep all my opened cans of canned food in the refrigerator and just warm it up a bit before feeding it to the kids. Either put it in a bowl and microwave for 10 -20 sec or set the can in some warm water (just enough to cover the bottom of the can).
                        Marci DeLisle
                        Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
                        Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
                        Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
                        Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
                        www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Gail
                          Leftover cat food? What's that? I suspect that if I had such a thing, I'd let the dog have it. He'll eat anything that's softer than his food dish.
                          Eliyahu Rooff

Comment

Originally posted by EliyahuRooff
                            Leftover cat food? What's that? I suspect that if I had such a thing, I'd let the dog have it. He'll eat anything that's softer than his food dish.
                            Cat food isn't good for dogs, it's too high in protein. While a small bit probably wouldn't hurt, any regular use would probably damage the dog's kidneys.
                            Jill Gallo /Manager
                            The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by Offy
                              I'm a garbage disposal stuffer & quarterly purchaser of Drano professional strength

Ann
                              I don't have that problem, thank goodness!
                              Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Working...
                              X