This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Do During Non-Disaster Times

Mother Nature is the only one who has any control over when and where the next natural disaster will strike. It may be right here, tomorrow.

In the meantime, there are things you can do to further enhance your knowledge and better prepare yourself and the members of your family and community to take care of animals should a disaster strike. Here are some suggestions:

Locate the boarding kennels in your area. Will they make room for evacuated animals? If they don't have a disaster plan, encourage them to start taking steps to put one in place.

If you use a pet sitting service when you are out of town, ask your contact person whether they have a disaster plan, should something happen while you are gone. If they haven't thought about this, work with them to develop a plan. You might want to encourage them to attend an EARS workshop.

Start a buddy system in your neighborhood. Have a back up person in case you aren't home when a disaster strikes, to go into your home and get your animals. Exchange house keys with that buddy. Also, have a buddy across town that could house your animals temporarily during a disaster.

Check to see if your veterinarian has a disaster plan. If he/she doesn't, ask them if their state veterinarian association has guidelines for setting up ad disaster plan that they might use. Locate a veterinarian that will provide emergency care during a disaster, in case your pet is injured.

Take at least the Introductory Red Cross Disaster classes, in addition to their CPR and First Aid classes.

Take an animal first aid/CPR class.

Get your tetanus vaccination and, if necessary, rabies and Hepatitis A vaccinations. Keep them current.

Find out where the high schools are in your community. They are always the Red Cross' first choice for setting up a shelter for people during a disaster. Also locate any large community centers. These will most likely become nerve centers during a disaster.

Familiarize yourself with the animal shelters in your area. Ask if they have a disaster plan.

Familiarize yourself with animal rescue groups in your area. Ask what they are prepared to do during a disaster.

Introduce yourself to your local pet storeowners. Ask what their policy is on donating damaged bags of food, over supply of stock, or discontinued items. Explain that most of these items can be used during a disaster. UAN can give them a tax receipt.

Get to know a commercial realtor in your community. They could be of great help in finding an empty warehouse to turn into an animal disaster relieve center, should all the local shelters be destroyed or overcrowded.

If there is a fairground in your community, talk with them about the possibility of housing larger animals (horse, cows, etc.) there during a disaster. Don't count on it during fair season.

Talk with some Boy Scout and Girl Scout leaders in your community about involving their troops in building dog or cat runs during a disaster. The kids can also collect towels, blankets, or dog/cat food and supplies.

Locate specialty clubs in your area (depending on needs): rock climbing groups scuba diving groups search and rescue groups 4-wheel drive clubs Ham radio clubs

Take advantage of any conferences or workshops that come to your area to teach people how to handle different types of animals. Learn how to load a horse trailer and trap a feral cat. Volunteer with your local humane society, animal control agency, or animal rescue group to get additional animal handling experience.

Make sure all your friends and family members have a disaster kit for their animals, not to mention themselves. These make very practical gifts. Don't forget your kits, too.

Tell your friends, family and neighbors about UAN's Emergency Animal Rescue Service Program. Maybe they would like to take the volunteer workshop, or maybe they would like to make a donation during a disaster. Utilize their resources. Do any of them work for the airlines, pet food companies, own boats, have a horse trailer, work for a construction company, make signs for a living, love to cook for large groups of very hungry people, have room to foster an animal, work for the telephone company, etc. Think of what it is they do, and how their skills might help animals in a disaster. Get creative.

Reprinted with permission of the Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS) branch of United Animal Nations, P.O. Box 188890, Sacramento, CA 95818, 916-429-2457
    Carvi

i hope i never does that here

i hope we never get that

Comment

Hi,

I don`t understand that what did u asked in your question.
      Homemade mosquito trap and excellent selection of dog crate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy View Post
        I don`t understand that what did u asked in your question.
        Hi Cindy, Welcome to The Pets Forums. this thread was started mostly for informational purposes, so people can have ideas on how to plan ahead for emergencies.

Are you looking for a particular section, or have a question about a specific animal?

You can go to http://www.thepetsforums.com/forums/ and see all the sub forums and sections. Feel free to join in where ever, or ask a question or start a new thread or ask for help. Lots of knowledgable friendly people here!

Gail
        http://www.pawproject.org/

http://catinfo.org/

Comment

Emergency water purification

The directions are on this page:
          http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/factsheets/foodand.htm

Hope nobody needs them!

--Becky

Comment

Originally posted by BeckyMorgan View Post
            The directions are on this page:
            http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/factsheets/foodand.htm

Hope nobody needs them!

--Becky
            That's a good thing to know!
            Jill Gallo /Manager
            The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Also one little thing we have is a notice on our front and rear doors that says "In Case Of Emergency, Please Save Our Pets" and has their names and species listed on it. Natural disasters are not the only worries when living in a shared apartment building, so even when we leave for work, there are always going to be potential problems present. Having a notice on the doors is great in case of (God forbid) fire emergencies, because the rescuers will know to save our babies.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack'n'Tipper View Post
                Also one little thing we have is a notice on our front and rear doors that says "In Case Of Emergency, Please Save Our Pets" and has their names and species listed on it. Natural disasters are not the only worries when living in a shared apartment building, so even when we leave for work, there are always going to be potential problems present. Having a notice on the doors is great in case of (God forbid) fire emergencies, because the rescuers will know to save our babies.
                I have one of those in my front window, too.
                Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP View Post
                  I have one of those in my front window, too.
                  Mine is on the front door.
                  Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Thanks for the post on the sign about "saving my pets". Excellent idea and advice - I just made mine and put it on the back door!
                    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man."
                    - Mark Twain
                    Las Vegas Pet Friendly Hotels Manager

Comment

Originally posted by SherryUp View Post
                      Thanks for the post on the sign about "saving my pets". Excellent idea and advice - I just made mine and put it on the back door!
                      Hi and welcome to the forum. What kind of pets do you have?
                      Jill Gallo /Manager
                      The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Thanks for sharing great information regarding our pets.

Comment

Thanks for reminding us that we always have to be prepared for emergencies of any kind. This is great advice

Comment

Working...
                          X