Anybody here in Katrina's path?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here in Katrina's path?

Wishing you calm skies and many prayers over the next few days. New Orleans has always sounded like a wonderful city to me...I hope the storm lessens or turns before she hits.

Yasmine
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
    NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
    I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Yaz,

JanetMcC, who just started posting here is in the path, I suspect she is very busy evacuating. As someone who lived in South Florida for over 45 years, this one is very scary. It reminds me of Donna. You don't hear much about Donna as she didn't hit a populated are, but we were on the fringes of Donna and had gust to 150 - I can't even imagine sustained winds of 160. I will be saying a prayer today when I go to church for all of those in "harms way".

Remember if you evacuate - if you need to leave, so does you pet.

Comment

I have a friend who lives in the city of New Orleans, on "high ground" (five feet above sea level) and she just posted on another forum that she's not evacuating, because she doesn't think her cars would be able to handle a long drive, she doesn't think a shelter or hotel would take her in with her dachshunds, and her 80-year-old parents are refusing to go. I'm worried sick about her.

Cassy
      Cassy and Dante-the-Pyrit-Kittee
      Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
      Roving Staff - Cats Forums

Comment

Originally posted by CasCat
        I have a friend who lives in the city of New Orleans, on "high ground" (five feet above sea level) and she just posted on another forum that she's not evacuating, because she doesn't think her cars would be able to handle a long drive, she doesn't think a shelter or hotel would take her in with her dachshunds, and her 80-year-old parents are refusing to go. I'm worried sick about her.

Cassy
        Oh no...Katrina's now a Category 5. I'm so sorry--I'll say a prayer that her parents 'get the message' and that they can get out, along with her puppies. Even if Katrina weakens to a Category 4...it's not good. And Rita, I'll include Janice in my meditations/prayers, that she and her babes and family get out safely.

Yazza
        NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
        I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Comment

Janice is fine - we may get a little wind and a lot of rain, thats it.

Comment

Cassy
            Storm surge is forecasted to 20 to 25 ', your friend needs to load up everything and leave. Most hotels and motels that normally don't take animals do so in an emergency like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain-mama
              Janice is fine - we may get a little wind and a lot of rain, thats it.
              Ugh..typing before caffeine. Janet.

~grins~
              Yasmine

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain-mama
                Yaz,

JanetMcC, who just started posting here is in the path, I suspect she is very busy evacuating. As someone who lived in South Florida for over 45 years, this one is very scary. It reminds me of Donna. You don't hear much about Donna as she didn't hit a populated are, but we were on the fringes of Donna and had gust to 150 - I can't even imagine sustained winds of 160. I will be saying a prayer today when I go to church for all of those in "harms way".

Remember if you evacuate - if you need to leave, so does you pet.
                Mini-gusts that had wind-speeds of 200+mph destroyed a good part of Kauai during Hurricane Iniki. Iniki was a Catagory 4 Hurrincane with sustained winds of 165mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Yasmine
                  Oh no...Katrina's now a Category 5. I'm so sorry--I'll say a prayer that her parents 'get the message' and that they can get out, along with her puppies. Even if Katrina weakens to a Category 4...it's not good. And Rita, I'll include Janice in my meditations/prayers, that she and her babes and family get out safely.

Yazza
                  Iwa was a Category 5 ... and only just became a 4 before slamming into Kauai. For all intense and purposes she was a 5. Caused millions of dollars in damage. Kauai is a tiny island. Katrina will surely do a lot more damage.

Bobby

Comment

Just got word; my N'Awlins friends are packing up the dogs and leaving for Birmingham Alabama. Words cannot express my relief.

CAssy

Comment

Just got word; my N'Awlins friends are packing up the dogs and leaving for Birmingham Alabama. Words cannot express my relief.

CAssy
                      Cas, that is great news, they are being very smart. This storm is flat out scary.

Comment

CAssy
                        I can < the sage of doom > ... a category 5 hurricane can have micro-bursts with winds of 250+mph. Not much can survive that kind of winds. Glad they are taking the dogs ... its not weather anyone or anything should be in.

Bobby

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby
                          I can < the sage of doom > ... a category 5 hurricane can have micro-bursts with winds of 250+mph. Not much can survive that kind of winds. Glad they are taking the dogs ... its not weather anyone or anything should be in.

Bobby
                          The dogs are their furkids. If they couldn't take them, they'd've stayed with them.

Now, I'm just hoping that they can get gasoline, get through the traffic-jams, and their decrepit car doesn't break down on the way to Birmingham. But it's still better than being in their house...

Cassy

Comment

Cassy
                            Oh my gosh, I would be worried sick too. I have had Martha Ashley and family on my mind all day. I think they are inches above sea level but I am sure they have left town.
                            KathyY

Comment

Originally posted by KathyY
                              Oh my gosh, I would be worried sick too. I have had Martha Ashley and family on my mind all day. I think they are inches above sea level but I am sure they have left town.
                              I miss Martha. Maybe someone could convince her to come back..........
                              Jill Gallo /Manager
                              The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Working...
                              X