Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatwave

Hi all,

It's been pretty darn hot where i am (Southern Ontario, Canada) and I gather the same is true for much of the U.S. and Canada. What are we all doing to ensure that our pets are safe and comfortable in this weather?

We have indoor pets and air conditioning, which solves most of our problems. But we live in an older building and sometimes the AC just cuts out on us. So we have a fan that is devoted to the bunnies (yes, the electrical cord is safely out of the way). We also keep 1-litre water bottles in the freezer at all times, and if it gets really hot in the apartment we put the bottles in their cages to cool things off and give them something cold and wet to lean against if they choose.

Any other tips for our hot friends?

Diane
    and Betsy (I would love a nice cold drink, with a little umbrella in it) Vanderbun
    and Wilson the warm

It's been really hot here too, and we just stay in the AC. We must be having brown outs though, because our house got to be almost 80 degrees yesterday.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

My indoors kitties are in a house that is kept at 74 degrees except when I remember to raise the thermostat to 80 when I head out. The house and the a/c (central with heat exchanger) are still pretty new (15 years old) so I don't worry about them.
      Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by KarenA
        My indoors kitties are in a house that is kept at 74 degrees except when I remember to raise the thermostat to 80 when I head out. The house and the a/c (central with heat exchanger) are still pretty new (15 years old) so I don't worry about them.
        I haven't had central air in several years. And living in a mobile home with NO trees around it means the house inside gets almost as hot as outside. I have every fan in the west coast going when it's hot but I still worry about the kitties when it gets so hot inside. Thankfully I do have a window A/C unit in my office (where I work almost 10 hrs a day) and my bedroom (so I can sleep in comfort). Needless to say the bedroom kitties feel "very" special to have A/C
        Marci DeLisle
        Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
        Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
        Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
        Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
        www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by MarciD
          I haven't had central air in several years. And living in a mobile home with NO trees around it means the house inside gets almost as hot as outside. I have every fan in the west coast going when it's hot but I still worry about the kitties when it gets so hot inside. Thankfully I do have a window A/C unit in my office (where I work almost 10 hrs a day) and my bedroom (so I can sleep in comfort). Needless to say the bedroom kitties feel "very" special to have A/C
          I think kitties are less uncomfortable than humans in the heat. They are always looking for warm places to curl up. However, in that much heat I would keep lots of water out - here, because of the very low humidity, water evaporates pretty quickly so I keep on refilling it and changing it out often.
          Karen A/Publicist

Comment

I think kitties are less uncomfortable than humans in the heat. They are always looking for warm places to curl up. However, in that much heat I would keep lots of water out - here, because of the very low humidity, water evaporates pretty quickly so I keep on refilling it and changing it out often.
            I have large water containers scattered throughout the house and change the water daily. I worry more about them than I do myself because I have the ability to get out of the heat (either in the office or my bedroom). But the fans at least move the air around and seem to make them a little more comfortable.
            Marci DeLisle
            www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by MarciD
              I have large water containers scattered throughout the house and change the water daily. I worry more about them than I do myself because I have the ability to get out of the heat (either in the office or my bedroom). But the fans at least move the air around and seem to make them a little more comfortable.
              With fans and fresh water I'm sure they are just fine.
              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

With fans and fresh water I'm sure they are just fine.
                Yeah, I know ... I'm just such a worry wart when it comes to my kitters
                Marci DeLisle
                www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

It is ghastly hot here also, and I have a sunroom (with windows open presently) with pet door access, while the room is closed off from the rest of the house.

It has been a battle to keep my cats out of the hot room. They have been letting me know their displeasure by inappropriate urinating in the house.

I have had to drag my kitties out of the room several times. Right now, they are asleep in the warmest spot in the warmest room in the house, although it is significantly cooler than outside.

Cats apparently feel heat that gets above 107, although I have no intention of letting them ever get anywhere near that warm.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty
                    It is ghastly hot here also, and I have a sunroom (with windows open presently) with pet door access, while the room is closed off from the rest of the house.

It has been a battle to keep my cats out of the hot room. They have been letting me know their displeasure by inappropriate urinating in the house.

I have had to drag my kitties out of the room several times. Right now, they are asleep in the warmest spot in the warmest room in the house, although it is significantly cooler than outside.

Cats apparently feel heat that gets above 107, although I have no intention of letting them ever get anywhere near that warm.
                    I talked to my vet about the heat and was told to watch to make sure nobody was panting (since that's not a normal kitty behavior). She also suggested that if anyone was feeling the heat to use a spray bottle and gently mist them down as that would help them feel a bit cooler. So far I haven't had to do that but am watching everyone closely. What worries me is when I have to close up the house when out doing pet sits. That's when the house really tends to get very hot. And I really hate leaving the floor fans running when no one is here.
                    Marci DeLisle
                    www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty

Rabbits are very susceptible to heat... cats less so, apparently, which is good news!

Diane
                      and Betsy (I'm happy in the shade) Vanderbun
                      and Wilson the Cool

Comment

I am sitting in central air conditioning; Angel is sitting by the glass door to go into the hot sunroom. She knows how to use the pet flap, but choses not to use it; for this time of year, that is a plus. Katie knows how and does go into the sunroom, so I have to bring her back in if she goes into the sunroom.

And what is worse, when Katie goes into the sunroom, she picks out the highest points in the room, which are naturally the hottest. The floor is ceramic tile, and stays much cooler.
                        sigpic

Comment

It's broiling here, too -- 106 in the shade at 7:30 at night. Last night it was 95 at 10 p.m. Fortunately we are in a house with an AC that works <knock on wood!> Cicero sleeps most of the day, though, as if he knows it's hot outside. For those without AC, a bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan can also work to cool things down quite a bit.
                          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP
                            For those without AC, a bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan can also work to cool things down quite a bit.
                            Oh, that's an interesting idea -- I will have to remember that one!

I once tried putting a nice cool ceramic tile in the buns' cages, but they didn't like to lie on it. Some do, though.

Diane
                            and Betsy (don't mess with my cage, I like it this way) Vanderbun
                            and Wilson the decorator

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP
                              It's broiling here, too -- 106 in the shade at 7:30 at night. Last night it was 95 at 10 p.m. Fortunately we are in a house with an AC that works <knock on wood!> Cicero sleeps most of the day, though, as if he knows it's hot outside. For those without AC, a bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan can also work to cool things down quite a bit.
                              We were in the one-teens until last night when there were some horrific thunder storms. At one point on the road, I honestly thought lightning had hit my car.. the inside burst into white light and I couldn't see for a moment. But all was well. The temperature came down a full ten degrees today to a relatively cool 103 but it's heading north again tomorrow.
                              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Working...
                              X