This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 4th! Keep Your Pets Safe!

It's hard to believe the 4th of July is almost here -- where is this summer going?! Now's the time to plan for our pets on that noisy day/evening when the air is filled with the sounds of fireworks and backyard barbecues.

Animals' ears are extremely sensitive, so much more so that humans, that we can't imagine the things they hear. To them, the sounds of fireworks must be terrifying, especially for a pet that is a bit on the nervous side in the first place. Even calm dogs and cats can go a bit nuts if the sounds of fireworks are close. And then there's all those people milling around looking for hot dogs and beer! What are they doing in the dog's backyard?

So, what to do?

Bring both dogs and cats indoors and keep them in a safe location during the evenings this week. Make sure they have a safe place, and if the noise is particularly loud, play the TV or a favorite CD. If you plan to have guests, make sure the opening and closing of front and patio doors doesn't offer a tempting invitation for a pet to sneak out. And keep them away from strange (to them) food.

Are there other things that you do during this holiday to keep your pet safe?
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

We watch movies. Preferably loud ones. And since our tv is right in front of the window, the dog who's the most sound sensitive thinks she's hearing something on the tv.

That worked really well last night - the local fireworks display was really banging loudly, and Sadie was lying on the floor napping. I NEVER in a million years would have expected that, as she's extremely sound sensitive due to getting lost two years ago due to an unexpected fireworks display. Normally, when she hears fireworks of any kind, she gets anxious. Today during the day, in fact, she ran through the house trying to find us when she heard one. We could hear her searching for us (toenails on hardwood floor are easy to hear) so we called her to come to us where we were in the spare room (we're moving soon, so the significant other and I were both in there cleaning). She was NOT happy to hear that firework today.

But we think the movie thing works well - she's gotten used to the idea that movies are sometimes loud, and there's sometimes lots of booms and bangs coming from it that aren't anything to worry about (playing the occasional shoot-em-'up game on the playstation helps with that, too). And since we never cuddle her when the movie goes "BOOM" she assumes when we're clearly watching a movie that it's just the tv. Or so I assume based on her nap last night!!!

-Mary
    Mary
    ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

Amy is afraid of fireworks (and thunder) too. She'll be downstairs hiding underneath my brother's train table.
      Jill Gallo /Manager
      The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo View Post
        Amy is afraid of fireworks (and thunder) too. She'll be downstairs hiding underneath my brother's train table.
        At least she has a safe place <GGG>

Comment

Loud movies are a great idea, Mary!

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP View Post
            At least she has a safe place <GGG>
            She has a doggie bed under there to keep her comfy, too.
            Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Awwww....

Comment

Good plan!!! A nice hideyhole.

-Mary
                Mary
                ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

Then it's more than just a train table. it's a doggie safety spot that probably is used for other things too.
                  A nice place to hide during bad storms as well.

Comment

Last night was rather extensive fireworks going off in the distance. Likely at a local golf club. Cats scattered very fast.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                      Then it's more than just a train table. it's a doggie safety spot that probably is used for other things too.
                      A nice place to hide during bad storms as well.
                      My two now aren't afraid of thunderstorms. This thread was from 2008 when I still had Amydawg. Now I have Zack who is laid back and Maggie who is brave.
                      Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Working...
                      X