No announcement yet.

Kidney disease resources - THANK YOU!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidney disease resources - THANK YOU!!!

A good friend of mine from the flyball team has an older dog who was just diagnosed with renal failure. I am so sad for her - the dog is about 14, and is a teensy tiny Italian Greyhound. But I wanted to let Marci know - YOU ARE A WEALTH OF INFORMATION!!! Thank you so much!!

The info you sent me years ago, when Tilly was first diagnosed with renal failure, I have now passed on to two other friends, including my friend with the italian greyhound. It's amazing to me that the resources you found, and the information shared, are stil so very relevant. The K9 Kidney yahoo group is STILL going strong, with loads of posts every month. The Thriving Pets website for buying needles and phosporus binders - still a wonderful resource.

So I wanted to pass along a Thank you - not just from Tilly, but from her friend Conner and Elsie's friend Sophie, dogs who are benefiting from the resources you passed along.

-Mary
    Mary
    ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

You're very welcome Mary. I keep up with the kitty sites but not the doggy sites. Glad to know they're still going strong.
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
    www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Marci is always forthcoming with great advice!!
      Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Sadly, my friend with the newest dog with a kidney failure diagnosis had to put her pup to sleep yesterday. But at least she knew she had tried what she could. But her dog's neuropathy symptoms were causing the dog too much stress - they just caught it too late. But her dog was 15, and her vet had never really told her what they felt was going on until was too late, just said weird things like "well, you know she's not going to be with you much longer, you know she's getting old" without ever elaborating. Now she realizes that her dog has been dealing with this for probably the past two years without her vet giving her any info on what was probably happening (and she's someone who takes her dogs to the vet FREQUENTLY for every little sniffle and limp). She's changing vets, she's so upset. But with hindsight being 20/20, she's now sad that she didn't have the chance to even really try. But for a couple of weeks there, she was at least able to give some of the supportive help to her dog, to see if it could help her. She really appreciated the info and the resources to look up info and find out more. I just wish her dang vet had talked to her about what was happening - she really is in there a LOT, as she has two other dogs, and all three have had health issues over the years (colitis, cataracts, limps, etc). I just wish she had been able to help her pup longer. Her pup was a sweet girl, although a funny little curmudgeon at times.
        Mary

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
          Sadly, my friend with the newest dog with a kidney failure diagnosis had to put her pup to sleep yesterday. But at least she knew she had tried what she could. But her dog's neuropathy symptoms were causing the dog too much stress - they just caught it too late. But her dog was 15, and her vet had never really told her what they felt was going on until was too late, just said weird things like "well, you know she's not going to be with you much longer, you know she's getting old" without ever elaborating. Now she realizes that her dog has been dealing with this for probably the past two years without her vet giving her any info on what was probably happening (and she's someone who takes her dogs to the vet FREQUENTLY for every little sniffle and limp). She's changing vets, she's so upset. But with hindsight being 20/20, she's now sad that she didn't have the chance to even really try. But for a couple of weeks there, she was at least able to give some of the supportive help to her dog, to see if it could help her. She really appreciated the info and the resources to look up info and find out more. I just wish her dang vet had talked to her about what was happening - she really is in there a LOT, as she has two other dogs, and all three have had health issues over the years (colitis, cataracts, limps, etc). I just wish she had been able to help her pup longer. Her pup was a sweet girl, although a funny little curmudgeon at times.
          That's a really sad situation... The vet didn't give her options for treatment, it appears. I'm wondering if she asked him to elaborate when he made remarks like "she's not going to be with you much longer."
          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
            That is too bad that the vet wasn't up front with her. I don't blame her for switching vets, but I would probably tell the vet why I left. I don't know what his reasoning is for not telling her the dog's kidney values were bad.
            Jill Gallo /Manager
            The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo View Post

That is too bad that the vet wasn't up front with her. I don't blame her for switching vets, but I would probably tell the vet why I left. I don't know what his reasoning is for not telling her the dog's kidney values were bad.
              Frankly I think that borders on malpractice
              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

When she asked, he just referred to how old she is...which, well, when you've got a geriatric dog...... But the symptoms she was seeing, and talking with her vet about, were never addressed.

It was very sad.

Originally posted by DianeP View Post

That's a really sad situation... The vet didn't give her options for treatment, it appears. I'm wondering if she asked him to elaborate when he made remarks like "she's not going to be with you much longer."
                Mary

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I was just so disgusted when I realized how much she'd been talking to her vet about, and not getting any good info until recently.

Originally posted by KarenA View Post

Frankly I think that borders on malpractice
                  Mary

Comment

Working...
                  X