Getting a kitten tomorrow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a kitten tomorrow

Well.... I've been thinking for a while how nice it would be to get a kitten or a puppy, but couldn't decide on whether to move forward with this or not - after all, Elsie is likely to be jealous, and Peaches could have stress-related issues, no matter which species. And then there's the issue of any pet needs to be able to exist in this multi-species household without being a cat chaser or hissing at the dogs.

Then tonight I went over to a friend's house to meet her new kitten. It just came home today from being a former barn kitten - it's about eight weeks old, and is absolutely a love machine. Purred like mad as soon as I had him in my hands. Loved pets, snuggling, and was already pretty playful after only half a day in his new home. And he already is loving on the dogs. The dogs are curious, but they know better than to misbehave with him. The person with the barn kittens? A friend of ours who's parents still own and operate the farm - her and her nieces and nephews spend a lot of time with the kittens and try to find homes for them when they can. And there's additional kittens from this litter than need homes. I wasn't going to get a kitten or a puppy yet... But.... There's a little black one, and I would LOVE to have another black kitty - I haven't had a black cat in almost 30 years, and I just love them. And if he's just as friendly as his brother??? Oh my. I'll be wrapped around his paw in moments. Elsie will have to learn to handle her jealousy - I foresee a lot of time spent cuddling with her in the recliner in the coming weeks. And I'm setting up an X-pen in the livingroom with a wire roof so that he has someplace secure as his little house while we're all getting acclimatized and used to each other.
    Mary
    ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Congrats! I'm glad you are going for a black kitten! They are so hard to place and I think they are absolutely beautiful. But there is the superstition and that makes it really hard.

We are going to need lots of stories!

Linda

Comment

Congrats. I hope everyone finds peace and harmony.
      Jill Gallo /Manager
      The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

I am second-guessing myself like mad, but it's one of those where things just seemed to drop in my lap, and I feel like it's a one of the best opportunities ever to find a critter who will fit this group.... We leave to go look at the kittens in an hour or so, and I'm also going to take a look at their momma - from what my friend has described, she's a year old and is getting a bit beaten up by the other cats at the farm. The only worry is that she may have some respiratory issue, but my friend doesn't think she's sick - which makes me wonder what it could be. So when I go, I'll take a look at everyone. If momma is as sweet as her babies, I may be bringing a one-year old home, instead of a tiny baby. Which would be good, too (although I would have to isolate her from Peaches until I find out what's wrong - first stop would be the vet's office). But it will depend on which critter seems the friendliest. Former barn cats can run a serious range in friendliness, and my goal is to find one that will definitely be a friendly cat who likes humans. GIven that they're used to my friend's German shepherd (who's a very bouncy one) and another shepherd mix there at the farm, and given the one's behavior last night, at least it's socialization to dogs should not be an issue.
        Mary

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
          Well.... I've been thinking for a while how nice it would be to get a kitten or a puppy, but couldn't decide on whether to move forward with this or not - after all, Elsie is likely to be jealous, and Peaches could have stress-related issues, no matter which species. And then there's the issue of any pet needs to be able to exist in this multi-species household without being a cat chaser or hissing at the dogs.

Then tonight I went over to a friend's house to meet her new kitten. It just came home today from being a former barn kitten - it's about eight weeks old, and is absolutely a love machine. Purred like mad as soon as I had him in my hands. Loved pets, snuggling, and was already pretty playful after only half a day in his new home. And he already is loving on the dogs. The dogs are curious, but they know better than to misbehave with him. The person with the barn kittens? A friend of ours who's parents still own and operate the farm - her and her nieces and nephews spend a lot of time with the kittens and try to find homes for them when they can. And there's additional kittens from this litter than need homes. I wasn't going to get a kitten or a puppy yet... But.... There's a little black one, and I would LOVE to have another black kitty - I haven't had a black cat in almost 30 years, and I just love them. And if he's just as friendly as his brother??? Oh my. I'll be wrapped around his paw in moments. Elsie will have to learn to handle her jealousy - I foresee a lot of time spent cuddling with her in the recliner in the coming weeks. And I'm setting up an X-pen in the livingroom with a wire roof so that he has someplace secure as his little house while we're all getting acclimatized and used to each other.
          I think you were wrapped around any one of the kitties and or one year old cats paws the minute you saw your friends kitten. Kind of like I would have been too. Hope for the best no matter which one you bring home. Although bringing home the black kitten and the one year old would be a perfect solution for both of them. And just think of the fun the five of your critters will have when it is havoc creating time at three am.
          "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I am second-guessing myself like mad, but it's one of those where things just seemed to drop in my lap, and I feel like it's a one of the best opportunities ever to find a critter who will fit this group.... We leave to go look at the kittens in an hour or so, and I'm also going to take a look at their momma - from what my friend has described, she's a year old and is getting a bit beaten up by the other cats at the farm. The only worry is that she may have some respiratory issue, but my friend doesn't think she's sick - which makes me wonder what it could be. So when I go, I'll take a look at everyone. If momma is as sweet as her babies, I may be bringing a one-year old home, instead of a tiny baby. Which would be good, too (although I would have to isolate her from Peaches until I find out what's wrong - first stop would be the vet's office). But it will depend on which critter seems the friendliest. Former barn cats can run a serious range in friendliness, and my goal is to find one that will definitely be a friendly cat who likes humans. GIven that they're used to my friend's German shepherd (who's a very bouncy one) and another shepherd mix there at the farm, and given the one's behavior last night, at least it's socialization to dogs should not be an issue.
            Oh, boy, a new kitten! Waiting to see which one you bring home......
            Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Congrats on the new kitten......whoever he/she is. I am sure that all your critters will get along fine. They are such a fun loving bunch.
              The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Mary, I hadn't read about Mama kitty before this...what happened with her? What was she like?

Yazza
                Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
                I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
                NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
                I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Comment

There were two mama kitties, and I wasn't quite sure which one was looking for a home, and I don't think Peaches was quite ready for either of them - they were both hell on wheels already, I could tell. Very happy, bouncy, kids, and one was a little more feral than I could handle. The other I could have taken, but my friend's sister-in-law didn't seem interested in actually rehoming her - that one, they kept talking about how fun she was, and how much they love having her in the house... They have about five or six cats that are clearly indoor/outdoor kitties - way less barn kitty and more indoor/outdoor.And the one who was less feral was clearly happily living in the house as an indoor/outdoor cat. The feral one, I don't think I could have handled as much - she didn't seem interested in meeting me. The other one that clearly loved where she is? SHE was adorable, and kept grabbing my hand to get me to keep petting her. But I don't know which one was James' momma, and the one was too feral and the other too much their pet already. So at least I was OK with leaving them there - they were clearly getting pretty good care, even though the life of a cat on a farm isn't ideal or perfectly safe.

Originally posted by Yasmine View Post
                  Mary, I hadn't read about Mama kitty before this...what happened with her? What was she like?

Yazza
                  Mary

Comment

Interestingly, though - the two momma kitties were TINY... At most about ten pounds or so, I would guess. The male who's likely James' daddy - a grey tom cat (who gets neutered next week, since they like Greg and want to make him a permanent house kitty - neutered males stay home more), he was about thirteen to fifteen pounds. And since James actually turned out to be a "Jamie", she'll probably be about the size of her momma, maybe slightly bigger because of spaying.

-Mary
                    Mary

Comment

Best thing I've heard today - Do you have a name picked out for the little trouble maker?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericlobster View Post
                        Best thing I've heard today - Do you have a name picked out for the little trouble maker?
                        Welcome to the forum. Do you have any pets? We'd love to hear about them.
                        Jill Gallo /Manager
                        The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Well, she is an adorable girl kitten named James. I'll let Mary explain
                          Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Indeed, the little troublemaker is now a year old and quite the fun kittee! Her name is James, as my other cat is named Peaches (and he's from the Planet of Giant Cats), so I have........ James and the Giant Peach!!! (This is a book title for a very cute book by Roald Dahl).
                            Mary

Comment

Indeed, the little troublemaker is now a year old and quite the fun kittee! Her name is James, as my other cat is named Peaches (and he's from the Planet of Giant Cats), so I have........ James and the Giant Peach!!! (This is a book title for a very cute book by Roald Dahl).
                              Love it! One of my favorite childhood books. What a fun name

Comment

Working...
                              X