Bobcat in my yard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat in my yard

No, not the animal one, the construction one. My long awaited landscaping rehabilitation of my yard is well under way. Brought in 25 cu yds of topsoil. That essentially is a full dump truck load of topsoil. So you don't want to use a wheelbarrow, or the labor costs will be massive. The other pictures are of most of the job done under hay mats. Everything is done, seeded, and waiting for the results. From the upstairs window, you get a good picture of my bird feeder array. I expected to be done feeding by now, but I still have at least a week or more of food left, so rehabbing the area around the feeder will have to wait until they are done. Not shown is another strip about 18' x 90'. I helped them yesterday, and more then simply 'directing' and last night I could hardly move. They were happy to have me there, as I could direct as to exactly what I needed to be done. But I also shoveled and raked, rolled the lawn, and put down the majority of the hay mats. I have about two wheelbarrows of topsoil left, that I will use to enhance other spots in the lawn. They came back this morning to finish some of the finer points, and some of the work I simply ran out of gas to do.

Last edited by calicokitty; 08-09-2018, 04:38 PM.
    sigpic

Good luck. My back yard is a mud pit since my dogs run the grass off.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Lol, our bobcats have more fur.
      The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

That's quite a yard you have.
        Dav Vandenbroucke

Comment

What is nice is that it seems as if I don't have any close-by neighbors, due to the way the lot is situated. And the grass is mowed with a manual reel mower, not one with power other than human muscle. It is really good exercise. Of course, it was easier over three decades ago. But then, I was establishing grass pretty well from scratch, just like I am now redoing a large portion of the lot. With five trees (dead) gone, it opens up a lot of the back area to sunlight, so grass should grow much better.
          sigpic

Comment

Thatís a big yard! No yard at all here...just a front and back porch...HOA maintains the yard. I used to love to do yard work including the heavy lifting, but I just canít do it any longer.
            Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Whoof! that's a lot of work. Here in the desert my community has removed lawns and we have desert landscaping which I actually like a lot. And the huge rebate from the water company saved us a ton of money
              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

That is a lot of work, looks good! My sister and I did our "pick up sticks' chore this week. I took 5 cart loads of dead limbs that came off the trees this winter, it's a yearly spring chore.

Comment

The monster neighbors tree that fell across the back of my yard is almost gone. Hand saws, and fortunately the tree was hollow. But I cannot dispose of the trunks, since the diameter is larger then the yard waste people handle. They never contacted me about their tree falling. Another neighbor said they seem standoffish. I put the trunks along the property line. I won't tell you how many yard bags of sticks and debris I have already removed. That, and digging up the wild onions; but putting down lime should help there. I have another tree that needs to be cut down, but it splits another's property line, and they don't have it in their budget this year to go halves with me. The tree is about half dead.

I have seen some nice xeroscaping in Utah and in dry climates, that seems the way to go.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KarenA View Post
                    Whoof! that's a lot of work. Here in the desert my community has removed lawns and we have desert landscaping which I actually like a lot. And the huge rebate from the water company saved us a ton of money
                    We have a way of dealing with lawns here. There is a critter called a Eurasian Chaefer beetle. They eat the roots of the grass and then the raccoons role whatís left up like a carpet to eat the beetles and thatís it for your lawn. i have re-seeded my lawn twice now. One more time and iím going for the desert landscape too. We do have some nice flowering trees.

The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by MW&MW View Post

We have a way of dealing with lawns here. There is a critter called a Eurasian Chaefer beetle. They eat the roots of the grass and then the raccoons role whatís left up like a carpet to eat the beetles and thatís it for your lawn. i have re-seeded my lawn twice now. One more time and iím going for the desert landscape too. We do have some nice flowering trees.

Around here, itís skunks that get to the lawns...they pull backthe thatch looking for grubs. You have to kill the grubs to get rid of the skunks.

Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Your yard looks great.
                        Jill Gallo /Manager
                        The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP View Post

Around here, itís skunks that get to the lawns...they pull backthe thatch looking for grubs. You have to kill the grubs to get rid of the skunks.
                          our racoons are dumber than your skunks. Even when you get rid of the grubs, the racoons keep coming back ever hopefull that the grubs are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo View Post

Your yard looks great.
                            Its nice butgetting to be more work than my poor back can handle. Also enjoyment limited this year cuz it wonít quit raining. Might have to shrink the garden and put in that desert landscaping sans cacti. They would just drown.

Comment

Its nice butgetting to be more work than my poor back can handle. Also enjoyment limited this year cuz it wonít quit raining. Might have to shrink the garden and put in that desert landscaping sans cacti. They would just drown.
                              Why don't you bring some of that rain to Vegas - we need it ... and you!
                              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Working...
                              X