No announcement yet.

How Many American Households Have Pets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many American Households Have Pets?

This article is another attempt to figure out how many households have pets. It's nice to see that survey I help run, the American Housing Survey, is referred to as "the gold standard." I should note, however, that while the article gives all the credit to the U.S. Census Bureau, which administers the survey in the field, it is designed and funded by my agency, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

How Many American Households Have Pets?
    Dav Vandenbroucke

Interesting on how some come up with figures. Of course, I don't own any pets. They own me!
    sigpic

Comment

The Washington Post on Sunday, February 10, reported on this. The Census Bureau reported that 49% of households had pets (2017). The Simmons National Consumer Study reported 52%. The American Veterinary Medical Association reported 57% (2016), but also stated 80% of respondents were women, and that bias was not corrected in the results. I guess they got a lot of responses from 'crazy cat persons'! [Sorry, I cannot provide a specific link, as mine is from a benefit from my local newspaper subscription, which has a section of the Washington Post each Sunday, and if I went to the WP site, it would use up one of my few free looks per month.]
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X