Anyone do Cornish game hens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone do Cornish game hens?

I thought for the next holidays, I would prepare a Cornish game hen. I found them at my grocery store, and they always have them. Package of two, by Tyson. This one looks like an easy recipe, but if anyone has made one, give me your thoughts: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/70...isMetric=false

Now, I don't want to get an extensive list of ingredients, and I really want it to be simple. That is, if it bombs, at least I will not be out a lot of time and cost of ingredients I may never use again.
    sigpic

I don’t know about the chili pepper, but the rest of it seems okay. I used to make cornish hens fairly often. I seasoned much like chicken or turkey...a little melted butter, a lot of garlic and dill weed. That’s my taste...I’m not much for chili except in chili.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Well, I don't do turkey or chicken, but I have a meat thermometer to register the internal temperature. But how long should one expect it to need? The recipe says 425 for 15 minutes, reduce to 350 and another 30 minutes, or to an internal temperature of 180 which is higher than the normal safe temperature of 165.
      sigpic

Comment

I love Cornish game hen. Walmart has them in the Tyson twin pack for a lot cheaper than my local grocery store. My cooking of them is very simple. I cook them at 350 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. I stuff them with a garlic clove and bay leaf. I do have a meat thermometer but I can judge if they are done by looking at them. I am probably over cooking them but they are always very moist and juicy. I serve it with Emily's rice from a Southern Living red beans and rice recipe https://www.southernliving.com/recip...nd-rice-recipe

Comment

Seems like the same package you see. Tyson, and two in a package. The price was about $7.75 for two.
          sigpic

Comment

I guess they bought the rights from Victor Borge or his estate. He raised and sold millions of them.
            Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by KarenA View Post
              I guess they bought the rights from Victor Borge or his estate. He raised and sold millions of them.
              Raising them? I thought he only played (or is misplayed the better term) the piano.
              sigpic

Comment

Check the internet, for time a d temp...there should be several recipes. Choose the one that suits you best.
                Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

There are a lot of recipes, but many of them are a bit foggy on times. They assume you are used to doing chicken and turkey.

I am also concerned about the virgin olive oil. How can they monitor what those olive trees are doing in the dark!

in edit: after spending time looking at a fair number of recipes, I think the first one I downloaded seems to be the best for me. I will probably get kosher salt, as so much of what I have read says that can really make a difference, due to size aspects. Other recipes may be great, but they really are meant for making more than one. If I put too much chili pepper on the first, I can always cut it back for the second one.
                  Last edited by calicokitty; 12-02-2019, 06:43 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
                    There are a lot of recipes, but many of them are a bit foggy on times. They assume you are used to doing chicken and turkey.

I am also concerned about the virgin olive oil. How can they monitor what those olive trees are doing in the dark!

in edit: after spending time looking at a fair number of recipes, I think the first one I downloaded seems to be the best for me. I will probably get kosher salt, as so much of what I have read says that can really make a difference, due to size aspects. Other recipes may be great, but they really are meant for making more than one. If I put too much chili pepper on the first, I can always cut it back for the second one.
                    I think they put chastity belts on them (below the olives)
                    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Working...
                    X