Bad bike news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad bike news

Bad news for me. My faithful bicycle has gotten a problem, and needs a repair. It is the rear wheel, and unfortunately, due to the age of the bicycle, the proper parts are no longer made that will fit my bicycle. I am going to try and call around, but the place that looked my bicycle over tried three of their vendors to no avail. Right now, I cannot ride my bike. My bicycle dates to around 1970, and then custom sizes were the rule. Now, standard sizes are made.
    sigpic

Have you tried places like eBay? Sometimes they sell old parts.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo View Post
      Have you tried places like eBay? Sometimes they sell old parts.
      I never go to that site, but the issue is of a particular size, etc., that I do not have the data about. I think that with over 40K miles, things are really starting to fail beyond what is not happening. Right now, bicycle shops are only open for repair, and I haven't been able to get in contact with several. I think I am really out of luck until the State reopens more fully.
      sigpic

Comment

That’s really too bad since bike riding is one of the few things you can do hese days.
        Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Not sure what part you are looking for but you can probably have a one off made if you are emotionally attached to your bike. Otherwise time for a new one. A lot has changed since 1970. You might enjoy a new ride.
          The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

It is the rear hub. It is Campagnolo. To translate, those are the Rolls Royce of bicycle parts. Internet searches have turned up nothing of value in helping me find what I need. They told me the rear hub and freewheel are both needing replacement. I did ask about replacing the rear wheel, and was told new ones would not fit the frame.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
              It is the rear hub. It is Campagnolo. To translate, those are the Rolls Royce of bicycle parts. Internet searches have turned up nothing of value in helping me find what I need. They told me the rear hub and freewheel are both needing replacement. I did ask about replacing the rear wheel, and was told new ones would not fit the frame.
              It is a very classy ride. I notice that there is a fairly active vintage market. Maybe buy another old one for parts? I wonder if you contacted the company if they could help you?

https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en
              The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by MW&MW View Post

It is a very classy ride. I notice that there is a fairly active vintage market. Maybe buy another old one for parts? I wonder if you contacted the company if they could help you?

https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en
                Your idea is excellent, in that I went to the website, found their pro dealers in this area, and my bicycle is now at one of the shops, and he will do what he can to get it fixed. Other then describing the issue, there is no-contact leaving of the bicycle and he will hopefully get back to me by Wednesday if there is a way forward. When he took it inside he saw it is a real classic. I hope he can get it back in shape. On line, I looked at Trek and Cannondale, and the new styles simply do not relate to how I ride. I wouldn't be able to use by bike saddle, not sure there is a way to clip my pump to the frame, and other issues. So spending a great deal of money to get a lightweight bicycle that I might not be happy with is not an appealing situation. And the bicycles that are more to my style are going to be heavyweights.
                sigpic

Comment

Your idea is excellent, in that I went to the website, found their pro dealers in this area, and my bicycle is now at one of the shops, and he will do what he can to get it fixed. Other then describing the issue, there is no-contact leaving of the bicycle and he will hopefully get back to me by Wednesday if there is a way forward. When he took it inside he saw it is a real classic. I hope he can get it back in shape. On line, I looked at Trek and Cannondale, and the new styles simply do not relate to how I ride. I wouldn't be able to use by bike saddle, not sure there is a way to clip my pump to the frame, and other issues. So spending a great deal of money to get a lightweight bicycle that I might not be happy with is not an appealing situation. And the bicycles that are more to my style are going to be heavyweights.
                  I know what you mean about the bike fitting your style. I have an old Trek Fx that I wouldn’t change. Its heavier than a tank but its the only bike I have ever owned that fits my short legs and long torso.

Comment

Originally posted by MW&MW View Post

I know what you mean about the bike fitting your style. I have an old Trek Fx that I wouldn’t change. Its heavier than a tank but its the only bike I have ever owned that fits my short legs and long torso.
                    You can probably get a custom frame sized to you, and then outfit it with the appropriate accessories and gearing for around $10,000. And that is the real problem. My shifters are on the downtube, and none of the recent bicycles have that, so I wouldn't even know how to shift gears on a new bike.
                    sigpic

Comment

You can probably get a custom frame sized to you, and then outfit it with the appropriate accessories and gearing for around $10,000. And that is the real problem. My shifters are on the downtube, and none of the recent bicycles have that, so I wouldn't even know how to shift gears on a new bike.
                      $10K? Not too much chance of that. You mght like the new shifters. My old french 10 speed had those down tube shifters. Always a bit of guesswork to get it in the right gear. Not a big deal I know but The newer style on the brake handles are compact and shift at the click of a small lever. Works well as long as your cables are tight.

Comment

Unfortunately, my hands have been trained to reach down to flip the shifter lever. For it to be in any other place could result in my stalling out as my arms flail around trying to find the lever. I usually go from rear 28 to 14 in one simple flick of the lever. I actually rarely access the front gears to change. Sometimes I feel I will let it rip, but usually I am content to mosey along. I don't ride with my hands around the brake levers unless I need braking so having the shifters on the brake handles becomes something too complex for me. I also have a front bag that fits on a bracket that would no longer fit on the newer bikes. That would require me to strap it directly on the handlebars and that is where I normally rest my hands, so that would be out. I really hope he can get my bicycle fixed. I do have a possible back up, but I won't know for awhile.
                        sigpic

Comment

I got a call from the bicycle shop, and I think I will be back in business. I asked him to then do a complete overhaul, and lubricate everything (hubs, head set, crank set). He said I had a great bicycle. With all the bad news I have had lately, at least this one is a positive. I may be able to bicycle Sunday. I think my rib is healed enough, although there still is some discomfort.
                          sigpic

Comment

I got a call from the bicycle shop, and I think I will be back in business. I asked him to then do a complete overhaul, and lubricate everything (hubs, head set, crank set). He said I had a great bicycle. With all the bad news I have had lately, at least this one is a positive. I may be able to bicycle Sunday. I think my rib is healed enough, although there still is some discomfort.
                            Congratulations on the rib and the bicycle! It occurs to me that your cycle may be quite valuable. Keep that baby locked up.

Comment

My nephew, a number of years ago, found my bicycle was one serious collectors wanted in their collection, but not a "must". Probably in the early 1980's, I did a major upgrade of components, going to full Campagnolo, Cinelli, etc. putting out about $2000 at that time. It's Achilles heel is the way the brakes are attached to the frame. That is rare now, and if something happened, I would be in deep doo-doo. In the 1990's, I was able to replace the brake handles (they cracked) with OEM handles. That is probably not possible anymore. I never leave it out of sight. I do get a lot of nice comments on the bicycle when I hit the trails. It originally came with sewn-up tires. Those are a real pain.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X