Oregano Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregano Oil

Has anyone out there used Oregano Oil for their pets??? It is suppose to be an incredible antioxidant. It is also used to treat Parvo, inflammation, intestinal problems and worms. I would like feedback as to experiences with Oregano Oil! By the way, it is also good for humans....It is supposed to be as strong as penicillin in treating infections.

Originally posted by broadwaybones View Post
    Has anyone out there used Oregano Oil for their pets??? It is suppose to be an incredible antioxidant. It is also used to treat Parvo, inflammation, intestinal problems and worms. I would like feedback as to experiences with Oregano Oil! By the way, it is also good for humans....It is supposed to be as strong as penicillin in treating infections.
    Never heard of it, but I doubt any one product could do all of that.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo View Post
      Never heard of it, but I doubt any one product could do all of that.
      Actually, research looks very promising with oil of oregano for a number of conditions: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1011065609.htm

Yazza
      Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
      I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
      NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
      I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Comment

Intersting. I've never heard of it. But I wouldn't use it in lieu of good medical advice, and only under a doctor's (or vet's) supervision if there's any sort of infection or other serious condition.
        Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Herbal remedies can be toxic if used by people who don't really understand how they work, so I wouldn't use them in lieu of good vet advice.

Lots of things are supposed to be antioxidants - even premium pet food has 'antioxidants'. So I wouldn't go to Oregano Oil for it.

Besides, I grow oregano and my cats hate the smell and won't go near it.
          Home of the Northern Mews: Boo and Cookie Arabella (from Yukon) & Orange Julius Caesar (from Alaska)
          Remembering Latte (2000-2012), Bali (1998-2011)

"I came. I saw. I conquered."
          Orange Julius Caesar, before meeting Boo

Comment

Never trust a product that can do everything - it can't.

BUT, that being said, I can see if you talk with your vet about it, it could be good to add to the critter's food. It could have some benefits.

Talk to your vet about these things before using them with your pets, just to be on the safe side. There's many chemicals and supplements out there that appear to be great, then eventually research catches up and investigates them, only to find there's hidden problems. It's always best to have your vet know you're using such products in case this stuff shows up in the research. It's possible it could be counteracting medication your pet already takes and needs.

I'm not saying don't use it, I'm just saying be cautious. There's a difference. A lot of people like to add certain oils to a dog or cat's food for nutritional purposes, and in my opinion, oregano oil would be right in line with that kind of thing. But if research shows that it's bad for dogs or cats, and you're already giving it to your animals, wouldn't you prefer your vet told you that? So be cautious, and make sure to talk it over with your vet in case of these hidden dangers.

-Mary
            --------------------------------
            Mary

with Sadie , Elsie and Peaches

Comment

I've used it for myself as a sort of echinacea when I was pretty sick. It worked but it was frankly the worst tasting thing I think I've ever put into my mouth!!
              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by Yasmine View Post
                Actually, research looks very promising with oil of oregano for a number of conditions: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1011065609.htm

Yazza
                Interesting article. I haven't ever heard of it before. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. If it's good against drug resistant bacteria, perhaps it's a pathway to something new, a bigger and badder penicillin.

-Mary
                Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Siena View Post
                  Herbal remedies can be toxic if used by people who don't really understand how they work, so I wouldn't use them in lieu of good vet advice.

Lots of things are supposed to be antioxidants - even premium pet food has 'antioxidants'. So I wouldn't go to Oregano Oil for it.

Besides, I grow oregano and my cats hate the smell and won't go near it.
                  All the things I have read state that it is not toxic. There has not been any cases of this reported. I like the preservative aspect of the oregano oil. This would give all natural pet food companies (real ones!) to move from the vitamin preservatives which come from China. There currently are some high end foods already using oregano oil as a preservative. I would liek consumer feedback from any one who has medicinally used Oregano Oil or who has tried Wenaewe foods!

Comment

All the things I have read state that it is not toxic. There has not been any cases of this reported. I like the preservative aspect of the oregano oil. This would give all natural pet food companies (real ones!) to move from the vitamin preservatives which come from China. There currently are some high end foods already using oregano oil as a preservative. I would liek consumer feedback from any one who has medicinally used Oregano Oil or who has tried Wenaewe foods!
                    It looks like pretty interesting food - take a look at their product info here - but it looks like they use just oregano, not oregano oil. Either way, it looks like a good dog food. Although it'd be nice to see more company info - it's always better to see AAFCO info, which I'm not seeing there. I don't know if I'd feed it after reading more on that website - it's made in Uruguay, South America, and they don't seem to have put it through any AAFCO trials yet or even talk about those nutritional guidelines.

-Mary
                    Last edited by MaryH; 07-12-2007, 11:04 PM. Reason: Read a little more on Dellnatura's site
                    Mary

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
                      Interesting article. I haven't ever heard of it before. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. If it's good against drug resistant bacteria, perhaps it's a pathway to something new, a bigger and badder penicillin.

-Mary
                      I have several friends who are very talented herbalists, so I've heard a bit about it. I want to see long term effects, though, because herbal remedies *can* be very powerful and some *do* have side effects.

Yazza
                      Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
                      I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
                      NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author www.galenorn.com
                      I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar, Luna , Keeter , Tara , Circe

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
                        It looks like pretty interesting food - take a look at their product info here - but it looks like they use just oregano, not oregano oil. Either way, it looks like a good dog food. Although it'd be nice to see more company info - it's always better to see AAFCO info, which I'm not seeing there. I don't know if I'd feed it after reading more on that website - it's made in Uruguay, South America, and they don't seem to have put it through any AAFCO trials yet or even talk about those nutritional guidelines.

-Mary
                        Mary, I am going to do a lot of research on this oil. However, I would cautious about how much faith you place into AAFCO regulations. Remember, it is within these regulations that commercial feed is allowed to consist of euthanized cat and dogs, chemical used as preservatives that are the main components of rubber, antifreeze and pesticides. Being in the industry I believe these regulations to be very ambiguous.
                        Just look up the recent lawsuit filed May 9th, in South Florida against most of the commercial pet food companies and the stores that sell the food. I hope changes are in the works, for true healthy food for our beloved animals!

Comment

Mary, I am going to do a lot of research on this oil. However, I would cautious about how much faith you place into AAFCO regulations. Remember, it is within these regulations that commercial feed is allowed to consist of euthanized cat and dogs, chemical used as preservatives that are the main components of rubber, antifreeze and pesticides. Being in the industry I believe these regulations to be very ambiguous.
                          Just look up the recent lawsuit filed May 9th, in South Florida against most of the commercial pet food companies and the stores that sell the food. I hope changes are in the works, for true healthy food for our beloved animals!
                          It's not their regulations I'm putting faith in - you're correct that there's a LOT of leeway in there. That's why it's so very important for people to read the labels and understand the terminology they're seeing on those labels. But then, the animal feed industry on the whole has allowed some strange stuff to be fed. There's a difference between what companies get away with and what those regulations were designed for.

What I'm interested in, and what pretty much every pet owner should be, too, is whether it's passed a feeding trial or even is up to snuff for those regulations. If the dog food in question hasn't had sufficient testing done on it to pass even their standards, I won't feed it to my dogs. And I won't feed a dog food that hasn't passed a feeding trial. That's the best proof they can offer that the food is actually as good as they claim.

-Mary
                          Mary

Comment

True, true, true! I just wish more people followed these guidelines! If they did the lesser quality companies would be out of business! By the way, I know this is off subject but how is Tillie feeling?

Comment

I'm not aware of any regulations that allow euthanized dogs and cats to be used for pet food. Can you point me to the regulation? I'd love to look into that.
                              Jill Gallo /Manager
                              The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Working...
                              X