My dog swallowed a small round ham bone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog swallowed a small round ham bone

Hi, I was wondering what to expect now that my dog just swallowed one of those small round hambones that come from a hamsteak? She's about 27-28 pounds.

I am not a vet and don't know much about this but there have been other such incidents reported. You might check our threads using the "search" tool at the top of the page. I imagine a call to the vet just to be sure would be a good idea.

Others will surely chime in here. I hope all goes well with your dog. What's her name? And of course we will worry until we hear from you how this goes.
    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Originally posted by cathyv12 View Post
      Hi, I was wondering what to expect now that my dog just swallowed one of those small round hambones that come from a hamsteak? She's about 27-28 pounds.
      She'll probably be ok, just keep an eye on her for the next couple of days. As long as she's eating and excreting she'll probably digest the bone.

If she shows signs like not eating, panting, no pooping, etc, then take her to your vet immediately.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I'll be looking for updates.
      Jill Gallo /Manager
      The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

How's the dog doing this evening? I hope to hear she's doing ok!
        -Mary
        Mary
        ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
          How's the dog doing this evening? I hope to hear she's doing ok!
          -Mary
          She doesn't seem to be affected yet. However she's not passed it yet, so I'm still on watch mode.

Comment

You're doing fine, Cathy. Sounds like she will pass it without a problem but keep vigilant.
            Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Watch her for throwing up after she eats -- or not wanting to eat - (which is more uncommon). If she has an issue with a blockage, she should want to eat, but should be unable to keep anything down. My dog was unusual, according to my vet, he didn't want to eat, and also threw up. If you see these signs, she needs to see a vet.

I am not sure a potential blockage is the only thing that might happen with a ham bone--don't really know, but it's one thing that would concern me.

Comment

Watch carefully for loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain (usually stand humped up), and straining to have a bowel movement. Most serious complication would be an intestinal blockage which can perforate.

This is why vets recommend no bones for dogs. I've seen a German Shepherd become obstructed and die from a piece of bone the size of my pinkie fingernail.
                Dr. Gus

Comment

Does this site have a desktop icon?
                  2/service dogs

Comment

Originally posted by cathyv12 View Post
                    Hi, welcome to the forum. Hope all goes well with your dog. I see Dr. Gus has chimed in...nice to see you Dr. Gus!
                    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Working...
                    X