Cost of surgery to remove bladder stones for my dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of surgery to remove bladder stones for my dog

Every time I take my dog in, I'm always curious if I'm getting an honest price from the vet. Over the years, I've read nightmare stories about price gouging and recently felt that my own vet was trying to do the same when I took my dog in for urinating problems. My dog would try to go pee and only a little urine would come out. Then he would move a few feet and try again, straining his back legs as he held himself in position for up to a minute each time. He would do this for 30-60 minutes!

I took him into the vet and they did a quick ultra sound without anesthesia. I was invited back to watch and the doc found bladder stones. The good news is that his bladder is not enlarged. The bad news is he needed surgery to remove the bladder stones. As I'm always wondering if I'm getting a good deal, I decided to share the costs with the internet, so others can compare. I did some research and there seems to be a large range of costs for this procedure. Here is what it cost me.

Date of quote: May, 2017
    Total cost: $1,658 - $2,280
    Dog age: 12.5yrs old
    Dog type: hunting dog

Tags: dog, surgery, bladder, stones, urinating, vet, veterinarian, cost, central, california, fresno

I have no clue what that would cost. I'm glad your dog is ok, though.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

I don't have any experience with this...let us know what you find out.
      Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

You might try to get some reviews of your vet, say, from Yelp or anywhere else on the Internet. I have searched using keywords like vet, cat, 'name of vet.' reviews
        Karen A/Publicist

Comment

I work with a dog rescue so have had some experience with surgeries that might be similar. Whenever we need to take a dog to surgery and then it requires time in the hospital we expect a bill of a minimum of $1500 to $2000. We've had a lot of intestinal obstruction cases where the owners can't afford the surgery and that's usually the estimate. So, I can't say for your locale if that is appropriate, but it's not been out of line for what we've been paying. I have a dog that had/has crystals in her urine, thought to be from a bacterial infection. She had quite a workup to check for bladder stones and had the culture of the urine. The price for that urine culture was over $200 for her (which has to be sent off site for analysis) and your estimate is lower than that. Based on that, and the xray cost, I'd say it's basically in line with what I'd pay.

Is you dog on special diet now to prevent more stones and/or crystals in his urine? Ruby is and it's expensive. But it's better than the dog being in pain from stones and having to undergo surgery.

How is your dog doing now?

Linda

Comment

Bad news. The doctor performed the surgery and found a tumor in his bladder that is to far developed to remove. He suspects the tumor is causing the stones, and also said the tumor has really roughed up part of his bladder. He removed the stones and cleaned him up but said he is near the end. He said that eventually stones will appear again, and the tumor will continue to grow until he can no longer go to the bathroom and that will be it.

The doctor is sending out the sample from the tumor to a lab, but told me there is a very high probability it's cancer and it's only a matter of time now. Sadly, my boy is on his final stretch.

I just picked him up and they didn't mention anything about special diet. I will call them to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by waterworks View Post
              Bad news. The doctor performed the surgery and found a tumor in his bladder that is to far developed to remove. He suspects the tumor is causing the stones, and also said the tumor has really roughed up part of his bladder. He removed the stones and cleaned him up but said he is near the end. He said that eventually stones will appear again, and the tumor will continue to grow until he can no longer go to the bathroom and that will be it.

The doctor is sending out the sample from the tumor to a lab, but told me there is a very high probability it's cancer and it's only a matter of time now. Sadly, my boy is on his final stretch.

I just picked him up and they didn't mention anything about special diet. I will call them to find out.
              I'm so sorry to read this. Hopefully it won't be as bad as it seems. Love him up all you can no matter how much time he has.
              Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

The doctor is sending out the sample from the tumor to a lab, but told me there is a very high probability it's cancer and it's only a matter of time now. Sadly, my boy is on his final stretch. and

I've been lurking here because I have cats and don't know much about dogs except for loving them. I'm so sorry about the outcome of the surgery. You did all you could do for your boy - now you can use the time left to enjoy him and have hopefully a long goodbye.
                Karen A/Publicist

Comment

So sorry to see the bad news. Take care and spend as much quality time with you pupper. The memories you make will be a comfort in the future.
                  "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Sorry to hear the news. Hopefully it's a slow growing mass and he'll still have a few months of quality time with you.

Comment

The doc called yesterday and confirmed the tests came back positive for progressive cell carcinoma on his bladder. Per the docs orders, I stopped giving him Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory). The doc wants him off of that for 3 days before starting a different drug called Piroxicam.

Last night he lost his urine and peed all over the bed. He knew he had to pee but didn't want to get up. His tail is wagging, he is still eating and drinking water, he still seems happy and he is still walking around the house, albeit a bit wobbly with the back legs from old age. He does not seem to be in pain, but licks his area a lot due to constant leakage. Even though he appears happy in his facial expressions and tail wagging, he seems to have lost the will to get up and go outside unless I'm pushing him along.

I was going to take him on one last trip into the Sierras this weekend if he can make it until then. It's his favorite place to roam, even if roaming means we just sit next to a river and watch the water go by. His hind legs have to be exhausted from squatting constantly this past month.

He's never once slept outside, but if the loss of urine happens again tonight, I may have to pitch the tent in the backyard and sleep out there with him until the end. I cannot have him covering everything in the house with urine.

Compounding this difficult time, I have to leave town in 6 days and I'll be gone for a week. That means leaving him with my mom but I cannot put this all on her. It's too much for her to handle at her age and she wouldn't even be able to get him in the vehicle if things go south very quickly while I'm gone for a week. I hate this for my boy.

Comment

The doc called yesterday and confirmed the tests came back positive for progressive cell carcinoma on his bladder. Per the docs orders, I stopped giving him Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory). The doc wants him off of that for 3 days before starting a different drug called Piroxicam.

Last night he lost his urine and peed all over the bed. He knew he had to pee but didn't want to get up. His tail is wagging, he is still eating and drinking water, he still seems happy and he is still walking around the house, albeit a bit wobbly with the back legs from old age. He does not seem to be in pain, but licks his area a lot due to constant leakage. Even though he appears happy in his facial expressions and tail wagging, he seems to have lost the will to get up and go outside unless I'm pushing him along.

I was going to take him on one last trip into the Sierras this weekend if he can make it until then. It's his favorite place to roam, even if roaming means we just sit next to a river and watch the water go by. His hind legs have to be exhausted from squatting constantly this past month.

He's never once slept outside, but if the loss of urine happens again tonight, I may have to pitch the tent in the backyard and sleep out there with him until the end. I cannot have him covering everything in the house with urine.

Compounding this difficult time, I have to leave town in 6 days and I'll be gone for a week. That means leaving him with my mom but I cannot put this all on her. It's too much for her to handle at her age and she wouldn't even be able to get him in the vehicle if things go south very quickly while I'm gone for a week. I hate this for my boy.

I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis? What would the Piroxicam do?
                        Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

So, so sorry about all this. I hope you got to take your trip to the Sierras...where do you like to go? You might think about getting doggie diapers for when he's in the house.

Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Working...
                          X