Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxer has regenerative anemia. Looking for thoughts on what I see here.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxer has regenerative anemia. Looking for thoughts on what I see here.

My baby is a boxer, 5 1/2 years old, male, fixed.

Health history: 3 months ago he got pretty sick, fever got up to 106, vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and his fever dropped. A couple days later he was back to normal. He was anemic then, but they figured it was due to him being sick. About a month ago he seemed to be in quite a bit of pain, extremely lethargic, not wanting to move, eat, drink. Took him to the vet and the vet examined his back and noticed his back muscles would spasm when he pet over his back. He decided my dog had hurt his back and gave him some anti inflammatories / muscle relaxers. 2 days later he was back to normal, but we drew his blood work during that time and he was pretty anemic at about 23%. He put him on an antibiotic an his anemia improved some, up to 28%, but his platelet count dropped a little, and his lymphocyte count jumped. He said this being a bacterial cause would be unlikely at this point as he would show some signs or symptoms. He obviously knows more than I do, but it looks like the antibiotic helped some, and mildly pissed off whatever is in his system due to the lab work changes. Any insight would be great.

I'm just a paranoid dog owner. The vet referred me to a medicine internist since we ruled out a tick borne disease (i think we ruled out lymes), auto immune disease, and really anything else they could diagnose there. I can't get him into the internist for another week. He doesn't show any signs or symptoms other than increased respirations. He still eats, maybe drinks a little more water than normal, he still plays when he wants, still tries to steal my food, so im just trying to get a head start on what to feel before I go to the internist. I know cancers are more common in boxers, so I am trying to prepare for that. Any home remedies to help improve the anemia while I wait would be wonderful, or any possible thoughts on the blood work. My vet was thinking they will want to do a bone marrow biopsy, but that's really about as much as he mentioned. Personally, I feel it is still bacterial related from the blood work differences. I will link his blood work here. The values on the far right were before the vet gave him Orbax (an antibiotic 100mg daily for 1 1/2 weeks). The values on the left are after the antibiotic. http://imgur.com/a/BMhNm

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am wondering what anyone else may think that might ease my brain, or give me more ideas before I go to the internist.

I don't know if any home remedies would work. My last dog had a similar illness though in her case it was platelets, not red blood cells. I know Mary's dog here had the red blood cell anemia, and so did 2 of my personal friends. Truthfully, I wouldn't wait. My dog needed to be on pretty high doses of prednisone, and both of the other dogs I knew who had an immune related anemia, also had to be on immune suppressing drugs.

I wouldn't want you taking a chance with your dog's life. I say the sooner he sees the internist, the better.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Oh I 100% agree. He will be going Thursday regardless. I'm just trying to figure out if anyone had experienced anything similar, or maybe sees something from his blood work that stands out more than I am noticing other than the anemia itself.

Comment

Thank you for replying though. I appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by AdamJ1901 View Post
          Oh I 100% agree. He will be going Thursday regardless. I'm just trying to figure out if anyone had experienced anything similar, or maybe sees something from his blood work that stands out more than I am noticing other than the anemia itself.
          I don't have any experience with this disease, but want to wish you and your doggie the very best... please let us know what the vet says.

Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Working...
          X