Welcoming Nova

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcoming Nova

Tomorrow we will be picking up Nova, a 5 yr old male Doberman that has heartworm. Our rescue is getting him from a shelter in LA, near New Orleans. He was originally booked on a pet transport which would have taken 3 days to get someplace closer to here (actually in NJ) at a cost of $185. But in stepped a wonderful organization, Pilots n Paws. These are people with their own planes who will transport animals on a route they generally were taking anyway. In this case the pilot is an MD that was attending a conference in NO. He's coming home tomorrow and will bring Nova with him. But Nova's not alone. At last count, there were 4 from NO and another 7 from AR, the last 7, small dogs. It will be an interesting time at the airport tomorrow. The organization is amazing. Their transport is free but we're taking along a good bottle of wine and a bouquet of flowers for his wife.

Once here I'll have pictures. This is going to be a long foster because the treatment is fairly long and it's over 6 months before they can be tested to see if they are in fact free to heartworms. Cost is impressive, $850-1100. And this is considered a low cost according to a vet tech on the board of our rescue. She was impressed at how reasonable the price was and that is with no discount for the rescue. But consider how foolish it is to not give heartworm preventative. The dog will have to be on crate rest for most of that time. That's really hard on a dog and there is always the risk of death from a piece of the worms clogging their blood vessel to cause a heart attack or stroke.

It's going to be an interesting 6 months!

I've read articles about Pilots n Paws before, they do wonderful work. Hopefully the treatment will be successful and Nova will get a good home.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Nova has early stages of heartworm. We've seen some much more heavily infested and they had a tough time of it. I hope it's much easier on him. I'm getting excited to see him. Everyone raves about what a good dog he is. Of course I fall in love with every one I foster. But I've already got 2 so he's got to find a good home.

Comment

Here's hoping that you have a wonderful and successful time with Nova.
        sigpic

Comment

Good luck with Nova...looking forward to seeing pictures. Itís wonderful that you foster these doggies.
          Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Good on you for taking him in. I hope Nova recovers and finds a forever home
            The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

What a wonderful volunteer program. I'm sure he will do well with your excellent care and you know we will be looking for pictures.
              Karen A/Publicist

Comment

We got Nova today. What a great dog! So calm, loving. He slept all the way home in the back of the car. Here's the crew that managed 11 dogs on the plane and then me in the red coat with Nova. The Husky and his pal were transported for a military family moving eventually to Germany. They are being fostered for 10 days and then placed on a flight to Germany. These are amazing people.

Comment

What a pretty girl!
                  Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by LindaD View Post
                    We got Nova today. What a great dog! So calm, loving. He slept all the way home in the back of the car. Here's the crew that managed 11 dogs on the plane and then me in the red coat with Nova. The Husky and his pal were transported for a military family moving eventually to Germany. They are being fostered for 10 days and then placed on a flight to Germany. These are amazing people.
                    Very nice, and Nova is quite handsome.
                    Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Yes, he's quite handsome and he's loving being in a home again. Very well behaved, too.

Comment

Welcome Nova!
                        Marci DeLisle
                        Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
                        Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
                        Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
                        Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
                        www.nwcrittersitter.com

Comment

Pretty dog! I hope he enjoyed his plane ride The people who volunteer to transport animals do good work.

Comment

I don't think he enjoyed it too much. He was in a big hurry to get off and when I walked back to the plane for the picture he wanted to go the other way. But he's fine. Had a bath, toenail clip and met my two dogs. Tomorrow it's to the vet.

These people who transport are priceless. I've done a few transports for our rescue and it's always a big worry how they will do. But overall, the dogs are normally well behaved, maybe because they are really scared of what is happening.

Comment

I would have to imagine that plane rides are not fun for dogs. I'm glad he got his bath and toenail clip.
                              Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Working...
                              X