Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abandoned rabbit in neighborhood: best course of action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandoned rabbit in neighborhood: best course of action?

A white rabbit has been observed a block or so away from my house. Unlike a wild rabbit it has no problem being observed; it will watch its observers from a distance, but no one can approach. Neighbors believe it was abandoned a few months ago when someone moved. Humane traps have had no success. It is cold here this time of year. What is the best thing to do?
    Last edited by mitch; 02-01-2020, 08:23 PM.

Humane traps are the best approach, and it might be that the food provided to bait the trap was not what the rabbit really is enticed by. For instance, bait a mouse trap with cheese, and so-so, but bait it with peanut butter, bingo. I bait my traps with peanut butter, but they are clamshell humane traps, and I release the vole outdoors. Fortunately it hasn't been necessary for quite awhile now.
    sigpic

Comment

I think humane traps have been tried. Don't know what's been used for bait. Cheese and peanut butter are good Ideas, any others are welcome.

Comment

Here is a link to their favorite foods. Often, small amounts can be found at pet stores. https://resources.bestfriends.org/ar...hat-feed-bunny
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks calico, I've passed along the info.

Comment

Has anyone contacted the local shelter? And check if there is a House Rabbit Society in your area. They are a great source of info on rabbits and usually have a link with rescues.

Comment

People have abandoned rabbits in my city. They have thrived and reproduced. You can see them happily munching on lawns and flower beds all over town.
              The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Working...
              X