This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lisa B View Post
    Is there anyone who can help w/ my kitten trouble ? She has terrible cold, cant get vet appt til tomorrow..what can i do now
    Welcome to the forum. No one can really diagnose your kitten over the internet, so taking your cat to the vet is your best bet. Let us know what your vet says.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

• If she is congested you could take her into a bathroom and run the hot water until the room is steamy. That could help decongest her. But it that does not improve matters you might want to bring her to an emergency vet.
      Karen A/Publicist

Comment

• Hello Forum!
        I am a new member, just signed up today. I am new to the whole cat life and thought I would post a little something about my family. I have been a dog person all of my life with the exception of a cat here or there which belonged to one of my daughters. My greatest joy and deepest sorrow was my Boxer Gracie. She had me as a human for 16 awesome years! She left me a couple of years ago with a huge hole in my heart. I told my wife that I would never be another pets human EVER! Well maybe never....About three weeks ago I noticed a female cat going in and out from underneath a bench in my back yard. Next thing you know out pop 4 little kittens. All was good for about another week then I noticed the kittens were staying out and crying ALOT. I kinda kept tabs on them everyday making sure everything was okay, when one of them would wander off to far from the bench I would put it back over where it belonged, I kept telling myself " I hate cats". One evening I heard them crying so I went out to investigate, I found kitten 1 across the yard meowing it's little head off. I found kittens 2,3,4 huddled up beside the bench meowing their little heads off. I rounded up kitten 1 and reunited it with the others figuring Mama would be back soon. Next day they were still out there and a storm was coming so I went to put them under the bench. Unfortunately two of the kittens had passed, the only two left were the wanderer and believe it or not the runt. At that point I realized something had happened to Mama kitty so I told my wife we would bring them in and nurse them back to health and wean them a give them up to a good family. Never knew how much of a responsibility that was going to be! To make an extremely long story short, we now have kitten 1 and kitten 2, healthy and playing, we are still bottle feeding but they are growing. I can't bear to name them until I know they will make it, but I think they are growing on me. My wife said I could keep one of them, I told her with all they have been through I can't split them up. So now I guess we are going to be humans for 2 beautiful kittens who have made me rethink the whole never being another pets human!!

Comment

• Well bless you for taking them in. I can't help you with care because I'm a dog person, but I'm sure some cat people will chime in. I can't wait to see pictures ofd them though.
          Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

• Originally posted by Jiminitwin View Post
            Hello Forum!
            I am a new member, just signed up today. I am new to the whole cat life and thought I would post a little something about my family. I have been a dog person all of my life with the exception of a cat here or there which belonged to one of my daughters. My greatest joy and deepest sorrow was my Boxer Gracie. She had me as a human for 16 awesome years! She left me a couple of years ago with a huge hole in my heart. I told my wife that I would never be another pets human EVER! Well maybe never....About three weeks ago I noticed a female cat going in and out from underneath a bench in my back yard. Next thing you know out pop 4 little kittens. All was good for about another week then I noticed the kittens were staying out and crying ALOT. I kinda kept tabs on them everyday making sure everything was okay, when one of them would wander off to far from the bench I would put it back over where it belonged, I kept telling myself " I hate cats". One evening I heard them crying so I went out to investigate, I found kitten 1 across the yard meowing it's little head off. I found kittens 2,3,4 huddled up beside the bench meowing their little heads off. I rounded up kitten 1 and reunited it with the others figuring Mama would be back soon. Next day they were still out there and a storm was coming so I went to put them under the bench. Unfortunately two of the kittens had passed, the only two left were the wanderer and believe it or not the runt. At that point I realized something had happened to Mama kitty so I told my wife we would bring them in and nurse them back to health and wean them a give them up to a good family. Never knew how much of a responsibility that was going to be! To make an extremely long story short, we now have kitten 1 and kitten 2, healthy and playing, we are still bottle feeding but they are growing. I can't bear to name them until I know they will make it, but I think they are growing on me. My wife said I could keep one of them, I told her with all they have been through I can't split them up. So now I guess we are going to be humans for 2 beautiful kittens who have made me rethink the whole never being another pets human!!
            Ha! Gotcha! That's what these little mites are thinking. Congrats on being adopted...and I agree, you really can't separate them now. They will likely do better socially if they have each other, Have you consulted a vet regarding their care? You should...they probably need to be wormed, and of course will need shots. Do you have any idea how old they are? The most critical issue, after their health, that you'll have is socializing them. Without their mom cat to tell them what's right and wrong, you'll have to do it for them. Don't let them get away with chewing on hands or being agressive. Gently reprimand them and give them time outs. Rambunctious behavior is normal but it can get out of hand, and while cute when they're babies, it's not so cute when they grow. Bless you for taking them in! I hope you'll stay with us and give us updates.
            Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback! We had to take kitten 1 to the vet for some respiratory issues. Vet gave her some antibiotics and some worm medicine. She also gave me some worm medicine for kitten 2 which has an appointment for this Friday.Other than that she gave us a clean bill of health. The kittens are approximately 5 weeks old now. They were about 2 weeks when we found them. The healthy one is growing fast, but kitten 1 (who after finding out she was a girl I named Artemis) is about half the others size. It's odd because when I found them it was the other way around. I am hoping that once we get her healthy she will catch up. We have introduced them to wet food with goats milk to thin it out a bit. They love it out of a syringe but haven't been able to get them to eat it on their own yet. When I get home from work I get them out of their kennel and play with them in the floor. They crawl all over me. It's funny because they can be in their little play pen and be doing just fine until I walk into the room or start talking. They go nuts trying to get me to pick them up.(a lot like two kids I know from waaaay back.LOL). One of them loves to use the litter box, the other wants nothing to do with it. They seem to be going to the bathroom on their own ok. I will keep you posted as they progress a

Comment

• They sound just adorable. Can't wait to see further updates. See if you can start a new thread about them so their story doesn't get lost in this long thread.
                Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jiminitwin View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback! We had to take kitten 1 to the vet for some respiratory issues. Vet gave her some antibiotics and some worm medicine. She also gave me some worm medicine for kitten 2 which has an appointment for this Friday.Other than that she gave us a clean bill of health. The kittens are approximately 5 weeks old now. They were about 2 weeks when we found them. The healthy one is growing fast, but kitten 1 (who after finding out she was a girl I named Artemis) is about half the others size. It's odd because when I found them it was the other way around. I am hoping that once we get her healthy she will catch up. We have introduced them to wet food with goats milk to thin it out a bit. They love it out of a syringe but haven't been able to get them to eat it on their own yet. When I get home from work I get them out of their kennel and play with them in the floor. They crawl all over me. It's funny because they can be in their little play pen and be doing just fine until I walk into the room or start talking. They go nuts trying to get me to pick them up.(a lot like two kids I know from waaaay back.LOL). One of them loves to use the litter box, the other wants nothing to do with it. They seem to be going to the bathroom on their own ok. I will keep you posted as they progress a
                  Hopefully the other one will start putting on some weight. It sounds like you're doing well with them so far. Keep us posted.
                  Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Working...
                  X