Newly diagnosed TPI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed TPI

Hi everyone, Im a newbie. My chihuahua went to the vet Friday and was determined to have ITP with a platelet count of 0. Shes on prednisone, an immunosuppressant, and omeprazole. Today her platelet count was still 0. Shes fairly active and perky, meds have upset her stomach a little, eating and drinking, etc. She got to come home today with the same meds with her next blood recheck this Friday. Of course she is on restricted activity. Im on pins and needles. My vet said sometimes it takes time for the body to respond to the meds. Anyone else with similar experience? Time frame for meds to spike the count? Thanks so much!

My last dog had that many years ago, and members of this forum will remember the ups and downs that Amy had. Amy got pancreatitis from the Imuran, and was on high doses of Prednisone and other medications including pepcid as to not upset her stomach. It took a long time for her platelet count to come up. She was in a hospital the entire time. She was there for about 4 days the first time, and another 8 after she got the pancreatitis. I know it's hard, but be patient. I'll be sending some prayers for your dog.
    Last edited by JGallo; 01-30-2019, 05:36 PM.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Thank you! I hate your baby had to go through all that. Its difficult when they appear healthy and then diagnosed out of the blue with ITP. Prayers are much appreciated!

Comment

Amy and I had a rough 12 days, and she was in a hospital for most of it. It did take about 4-5 days or so for her platelet count to come back up. and when they did she only had 66,000 but it was enough for her to come home. She developed the pancreatitis from the immune suppressing drug. Amy was on prednisone for a year afterwards. They had to wean her off slowly, and there was some talk of keeping her on it for the rest of her life. She was 9 when she got it. Hopefully things will be looking up for you soon. Keep us posted.
        Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement! I will post an update after her appointment on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Keesharu View Post
            Thanks for the encouragement! I will post an update after her appointment on Friday.
            I'll be looking for it.
            Jill Gallo /Manager

My Albums

Comment

Welcome to the forum...I hope your doggie gets better soon!
              Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Thanks so much Diane and Cicero!

Comment

Working...
                X