Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adequan use in cats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adequan use in cats

    My vet and I are in discussions about what would be the best pain relief for Ootay's arthritis, her pain is getting worse.

    She left me a message today, in reply to my message to her. We had discussed tramadol; side affects of constipation and nausea are a concern.

    She also mentioned the injection adequan, which is used in dogs. I have done a little research and haven't come up with anything about use in cats. I know often vets use medicines off label for cats that are approved only for dogs.

    The website wasn't very forthcoming with information. It mentioned 8 injections for 6 months relief, but did not say how far apart the injections are (once a week, twice a week?) nor how the injections are given. (intramuscular? intravenous? subcutaneous?)

    I don't think I'd want to put Ootay through the regimen of 8 injections but am curious if anyone else has any input on this.

    Gail

    (we'll probably just go with the tramadol. vet wants to look into liquid, to get more exact dosing. I'd rather have pills, Ootay is easier to pill than syringe, but we'll see)
    http://www.pawproject.org/

    http://catinfo.org/

  • #2
    Originally posted by GailS View Post
    My vet and I are in discussions about what would be the best pain relief for Ootay's arthritis, her pain is getting worse.

    She left me a message today, in reply to my message to her. We had discussed tramadol; side affects of constipation and nausea are a concern.

    She also mentioned the injection adequan, which is used in dogs. I have done a little research and haven't come up with anything about use in cats. I know often vets use medicines off label for cats that are approved only for dogs.

    The website wasn't very forthcoming with information. It mentioned 8 injections for 6 months relief, but did not say how far apart the injections are (once a week, twice a week?) nor how the injections are given. (intramuscular? intravenous? subcutaneous?)

    I don't think I'd want to put Ootay through the regimen of 8 injections but am curious if anyone else has any input on this.

    Gail

    (we'll probably just go with the tramadol. vet wants to look into liquid, to get more exact dosing. I'd rather have pills, Ootay is easier to pill than syringe, but we'll see)
    I'd be interested in information on this also. I haven't heard of it being used in cats so don't know what if any problems might arise and don't know how it would be given (SubQ ... IM ... or ?)
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!
    www.nwcrittersitter.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I've never heard about using it in cats. These guys do:

      http://marvistavet.org/html/adequan.html

      This is from VIN (Veterinary Information Network):

      http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=587
      Dr. Gus

      Comment


      • #4
        Adequan

        I wanted to let folks know that my 11-year old calico is on week 5 of 6 of adequan injections for pain in her right hip. We initially tried just the cosamine in her catfood but her condition did not improve. At her worst, she could only take 3 steps and would then stop. Now after 5 weeks of the adequan injections and cosamine, she is about 90% back to her sweet self. In fact, when she sees me bring out her leash to head to the vet she now RUNS away! After her final injection next week, we'll start a monthly injection schedule. I hope things continue to remain stable.
        Last edited by sullyindc; 08-06-2009, 10:45 PM. Reason: typo

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sullyindc View Post
          I wanted to let folks know that my 11-year old calico is on week 5 of 6 of adequan injections for pain in her right hip. We initially tried just the cosamine in her catfood but her condition did not improve. At her worst, she could only take 3 steps and would then stop. Now after 5 weeks of the adequan injections and cosamine, she is about 90% back to her sweet self. In fact, when she sees me bring out her leash to head to the vet she now RUNS away! After her final injection next week, we'll start a monthly injection schedule. I hope things continue to remain stable.
          Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm glad things are working out for your Calico. Hopefully a maintainance schedule will prove just as effective.
          Jill Gallo /Manager
          The Petsforums Management Team

          My Albums

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm really glad to hear that the program is working so well for your Calico. What's her name? We'd naturally love to see photos
            Karen A/Publicist

            Comment


            • #7
              That's good news -- it's nice to hear success stories! Welcome to the forum!
              Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

              Comment


              • #8
                Adequan Use in Cats

                Hi,

                Our cat will have her 8th dose of injectable Adequan next Monday, we will continue monthly after that. Her name is Bubbles and she is a 13 yr old DSH tabby-marked cat, but has been exhibiting issues for about 3 years now. She will not take any type of pill or powder without a very stressful situation for us all and Vet visits are also hard on her. Our Vet decided to teach me how to give the injections and it has been great. Not only does she not mind them, but she appears to be more active than she has been in years.

                Her arthritis appears in her hips and lower spine before the tail. She was sensitive to touch (gentle strokes) in the all of the lower spinal area prior and now does not seem bothered by it at all. After resting a long time she would shake as she tries to walk. She still has some of that, but there is a noticeable reduction thus far.

                I hope this gives someone else some ideas or hope if you have to make a decision about the same! BTW, she is the kitty on the right in my photo...

                -Holly
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HMR35 View Post
                  Hi,

                  Our cat will have her 8th dose of injectable Adequan next Monday, we will continue monthly after that. Her name is Bubbles and she is a 13 yr old DSH tabby-marked cat, but has been exhibiting issues for about 3 years now. She will not take any type of pill or powder without a very stressful situation for us all and Vet visits are also hard on her. Our Vet decided to teach me how to give the injections and it has been great. Not only does she not mind them, but she appears to be more active than she has been in years.

                  Her arthritis appears in her hips and lower spine before the tail. She was sensitive to touch (gentle strokes) in the all of the lower spinal area prior and now does not seem bothered by it at all. After resting a long time she would shake as she tries to walk. She still has some of that, but there is a noticeable reduction thus far.

                  I hope this gives someone else some ideas or hope if you have to make a decision about the same! BTW, she is the kitty on the right in my photo...

                  -Holly
                  Thanks so much for your post about how well Bubbles is doing on the Adequan! Both of your cats are just beautiful. I'm so glad it's working for her and making her (and your) life happier.
                  Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by HMR35 View Post
                    Hi,

                    Our cat will have her 8th dose of injectable Adequan next Monday, we will continue monthly after that. Her name is Bubbles and she is a 13 yr old DSH tabby-marked cat, but has been exhibiting issues for about 3 years now. She will not take any type of pill or powder without a very stressful situation for us all and Vet visits are also hard on her. Our Vet decided to teach me how to give the injections and it has been great. Not only does she not mind them, but she appears to be more active than she has been in years.

                    Her arthritis appears in her hips and lower spine before the tail. She was sensitive to touch (gentle strokes) in the all of the lower spinal area prior and now does not seem bothered by it at all. After resting a long time she would shake as she tries to walk. She still has some of that, but there is a noticeable reduction thus far.

                    I hope this gives someone else some ideas or hope if you have to make a decision about the same! BTW, she is the kitty on the right in my photo...

                    -Holly
                    Thank you so much for coming in and sharing your experiences! It's very useful to know, because, who knows I may opt for this type of treatment in another situation with another cat. Esp. if I can give the shots at home.

                    Are you doing the shots subcutaneously? One of the things that put me off was I thought the shots had to me intramuscular, and were very painful, and I could not see putting my little Ootay Princess (rb 5/09) through that, after all she'd already been through.

                    Gail
                    http://www.pawproject.org/

                    http://catinfo.org/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sullyindc View Post
                      I wanted to let folks know that my 11-year old calico is on week 5 of 6 of adequan injections for pain in her right hip. We initially tried just the cosamine in her catfood but her condition did not improve. At her worst, she could only take 3 steps and would then stop. Now after 5 weeks of the adequan injections and cosamine, she is about 90% back to her sweet self. In fact, when she sees me bring out her leash to head to the vet she now RUNS away! After her final injection next week, we'll start a monthly injection schedule. I hope things continue to remain stable.

                      Thank you so much for coming and sharing your experiences with adequan in cats. It's good to know this treatment is seeing some success in cats. How were the shots givien? (subq, IM, IV?)

                      Gail
                      http://www.pawproject.org/

                      http://catinfo.org/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DrGus View Post
                        I've never heard about using it in cats. These guys do:

                        http://marvistavet.org/html/adequan.html

                        This is from VIN (Veterinary Information Network):

                        http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=587
                        Thank you very much for this info Dr Gus. After reading these links, and the two cases people generously posted, I would definitely consider this treatment in another cat.

                        I really think it would have been too much for my little Ootay (rb5/09) though.
                        http://www.pawproject.org/

                        http://catinfo.org/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          welcome to the forum, and thanks for the info .. and for posting the great pic of your two tigers!

                          .m

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Adequan Success

                            Our 12 year old tabby male has calcification on his right hip where it meets his spine. We noticed he wasn't jumping up to eat dinner on the counter and was shy about being touched there. The vet recommended Adequan and it is working great! Jackalope jumps up again and is very spry. He has had 5 injections weekly, then 5 injections bi-weekly. Last week the vet said he can go to once every three weeks now for a few rounds, then if he is still showing a benefit, once a month. One note...he has an increased appetite and is chowing down! He has steadily gained weight at each visit for the injection. Since Adequan works like a steroid, the vet said it can cause weight gain I guess. Although, he could be eating more since he is feeling better.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hgalluzzi View Post
                              Our 12 year old tabby male has calcification on his right hip where it meets his spine. We noticed he wasn't jumping up to eat dinner on the counter and was shy about being touched there. The vet recommended Adequan and it is working great! Jackalope jumps up again and is very spry. He has had 5 injections weekly, then 5 injections bi-weekly. Last week the vet said he can go to once every three weeks now for a few rounds, then if he is still showing a benefit, once a month. One note...he has an increased appetite and is chowing down! He has steadily gained weight at each visit for the injection. Since Adequan works like a steroid, the vet said it can cause weight gain I guess. Although, he could be eating more since he is feeling better.
                              Hi and welcome to the forum!!! How wonderful that Jackalope (I LOVE that name!) is feeling so much better on the Adequan -- thanks for contributing to our store of information here about this medication.
                              Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X