Dogs hind leg twitching randomly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs hind leg twitching randomly

Between last night and today when I returned home I was informed that my 10 yr old dogs leg was random twitching while he was laying down. I'm inclined to think hes stressed his arthritis out running outside along the fence line and barking at people going by the yard. Or the younger dog had tried to nip at him and pinched a nerve in his leg. I have looked at it its not swollen, hot to the touch or seemingly bothering him other than it has in the other times he stressed out his old joints. To which I've massaged down his leg in the past and restricted his outside activity until he regained full use of the leg again and rested.

Today he is showing signs that his arthritis is flaring up but as he lays on his side he's twitching his hind leg (Left or right depending on what side hes laying on). The leg he's favoring at times is his left leg. I'm apt to believe he may have a pinched nerve but when I checked along his spine and down his legs he showed no signs of discomfort. And doing a mild pain test showed he still has proper pain reflexes in his paws and legs. Even his reflexes checked out fine. Its just this random twitching of the legs in my 80lb quarter rott mix that concerns me and almost reminds me of restless leg syndrome in a human as hes almost not even conscious hes doing it. Any advice will be great. I do have plans to call his vet tuesday as soon as their offices opens (As long as it doesn't get any worse) And see what she recommends to do about the leg as well as put in an appointment to have the tooth with the exposed root removed to end the discomfort hes started to show from that.

Hi and welcome to the forum! It does seem that your dog has some sort of nerve issue going on, but a vet visit (I'm not a vet) with possibly a spine xray would probably be the only way to know for sure. Is he doing this when he's awake...is it all the time when he's lying down? If it's happening on both sides it's more likely to be a back issue as opposed to a leg issue. It seems like your plan is the way to go...it would be what I would do, unless of course he starts showing signs of pain or weakness in his legs. You don't want this to escalate into some sort of paralysis. Isn't it aggravating that these things always happen on a holiday weekend? Good luck and keep us posted.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I think I'd do the same thing you're doing already - rest him until Tuesday's vet appointment. If you don't think he has any other illnesses due to other symptoms or history, it doesn't sound life-threatening, just strange. I'm glad you checked his reflexes. Have you checked the foot positioning reflex (I don't remember the official name of it, sorry, but it is some sort of proprioception or limb awareness test), where you fold the dog's foot so that the top of the toes touch the ground instead of the paw pad side and see if they know to turn their foot the right direction? That would be a good test to do, to see if he's able to tell where his feet are. That would be a really good test to try now, while you're still seeing this twitching, in case his twitching improves before his vet visit. That's often a test for neurological issues.

Hope you get to the bottom of it quickly!!
      Mary
      ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
        I think I'd do the same thing you're doing already - rest him until Tuesday's vet appointment. If you don't think he has any other illnesses due to other symptoms or history, it doesn't sound life-threatening, just strange. I'm glad you checked his reflexes. Have you checked the foot positioning reflex (I don't remember the official name of it, sorry, but it is some sort of proprioception or limb awareness test), where you fold the dog's foot so that the top of the toes touch the ground instead of the paw pad side and see if they know to turn their foot the right direction? That would be a good test to do, to see if he's able to tell where his feet are. That would be a really good test to try now, while you're still seeing this twitching, in case his twitching improves before his vet visit. That's often a test for neurological issues.

Hope you get to the bottom of it quickly!!

I've checked his reflexes in that manner. It was one of the first things I've done since I do have some training as a veterinarian technician. I've even applied pressure along his spine with no response other than what I get when I give him a hip rub. At some point I do think hes enjoying all this attention far more than he should with all I'm concerned about that may be going on with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Prissrei View Post
          I've checked his reflexes in that manner. It was one of the first things I've done since I do have some training as a veterinarian technician. I've even applied pressure along his spine with no response other than what I get when I give him a hip rub. At some point I do think hes enjoying all this attention far more than he should with all I'm concerned about that may be going on with him.
          LOL - given his age, I would say he deserves a little fussing and extra attention!! Glad he's enjoying the attention, even if it doesn't help you narrow down the cause!!
          Mary
          ----with Sadie, Elsie, Saffron, Peaches & James ----

Comment

Well I called his vet, after a discussion on what I've done and the fact that I don't want to put him through a bunch of tests we've decided to forgo the visit. But considering she is a friend of mine she stopped by the house and checked on him confirmed what I thought that somewhere in his spine, most likely his hips he could have a pinched nerve that cant be fixed evasively. She already knows my feelings on putting him through another surgery after I had the mass removal done on him. So we are just watching him and moderating his symptoms. In the end a decision will have to be made as we've already watched his hips drop out from under him.

Comment

Well I called his vet, after a discussion on what I've done and the fact that I don't want to put him through a bunch of tests we've decided to forgo the visit. But considering she is a friend of mine she stopped by the house and checked on him confirmed what I thought that somewhere in his spine, most likely his hips he could have a pinched nerve that cant be fixed evasively. She already knows my feelings on putting him through another surgery after I had the mass removal done on him. So we are just watching him and moderating his symptoms. In the end a decision will have to be made as we've already watched his hips drop out from under him.
              Ask the vet about a possible trial of prednisone to help with any possible inflammation. It won't hurt, and might help. Keep us posted.
              Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I wouldn't put him through surgery either but I would do whatever to keep him comfortable.
                Jill Gallo /Manager
                The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo View Post
                  I wouldn't put him through surgery either but I would do whatever to keep him comfortable.
                  I am why I have an actual appointment made with my friend just so she can prescribe some kind of medication for him to keep him comfortable. We're in agreement not to put him through a lot of pain and just keep him comfortable.

Comment

I am why I have an actual appointment made with my friend just so she can prescribe some kind of medication for him to keep him comfortable. We're in agreement not to put him through a lot of pain and just keep him comfortable.
                    That's good. The twitching may resolve on it's own with time. Hugs to your senior guy.
                    Jill Gallo /Manager
                    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Dogs are sometimes referred to as man's best friend because they are kept as domestic pets and are usually loyal and like being around humans. I have also 3 pets and love them very much. I'm always caring of them and there is an online Pet product store named Zen Dog Zone, It is a very good site and the products are very good, So I am usually using their product. Thanks for the informational blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X