Brain damage and vision impairment due to anesthesia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobbie Sue View Post

Thanks for your interest and reply Karen. That was a very interesting story about your cousin. Imagine... not realizing their cat was blind until he fell while bumping into it. The more I learn by doing research on the internet, I do see that a vision-impaired or completely blind cats can function and are capable of living a happy lives. Love and concern is the key and believe me... she get
    sooooo much of this from my husband, my son and myself. We all snuggle up with her and she really is so very precious. I'll be sending in a photo of her when that bothersome e-collar is off. She becomes so frustrated since she wants to thoroughly clean herself and is not able to but soon... she will.

How many cats do you have and how old are they?
    Sounds like she is now in a happy and loving environment and the stability of it will foster a good recovery. I have two cats, Stella, who is a slim Snowshoe (a Siamese with normal markings and also white toes on her front feet and white socks on the rear along with a white crack on her nose She is my Avatar. The other is Gigi, a very overweight black kitty with a gray undercoat and gorgeous green eyes. They get along quite well (that took a long time - Stella is older by about six years and was not very receptive to the kitten Gigi when she arrived).

I look forward to seeing your baby and of course I look forward to hearing stories about her
    Karen A/Publicist

Comment

Post-stalk me for the story about our Happy, who went to the vet happy and healthy and came home blind with a dislocated hip and damaged kidneys. He couldn't eat or walk without falling for most of a week. He got most of his sight back and lived longer than most of the other males from his former feral colony, and if he was never able to run and jump again, he seemed content with his life. Penny seems much less battered than he was, and it hasn't been that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BeckyMorgan View Post
        Post-stalk me for the story about our Happy, who went to the vet happy and healthy and came home blind with a dislocated hip and damaged kidneys. He couldn't eat or walk without falling for most of a week. He got most of his sight back and lived longer than most of the other males from his former feral colony, and if he was never able to run and jump again, he seemed content with his life. Penny seems much less battered than he was, and it hasn't been that long.
        Becky, your story about Happy was a very encouraging so and that does give me hope. I do see Penny making little strides and we are remaining both hopeful and very patient to see what the final outcome will be. She is the sweetest kitten, always wanting to curl up with us when we lay down. I would like to read your entire story but I don't know how to locate it. I'm not too familiar with the workings of this site as yet. How would I go about reading the story of Happy? Thanks.
        All people smile in the same language. ~~Anonymous~~

Comment

It is with an extremely heavy heart that this must be my very first post here. Please bear with me as I explain this heart-rending situation which now prevails.

On December 21st, the first day of Winter to be exact, my son left our apartment to take a walk when at the corner here, a car pulled up and someone let out a cat. My son was very nearby and called over to the cat who immediately responded and walked over to him. He led the cat into the vestibule of our apartment building and told my husband and myself about this so we went to the hall to see. There was a cat who was obviously bedraggled so I carried her into our apartment. It was a sleepless night to be sure and we got about 2 hours sleep.

In the morning we took the cat to a veterinarian to have her checked out. The vet determined she was not HIV positive and did not have feline leukemia thankfully. From a blood test it showed she was anemic and she had scratches on her face (obviously from another animal) as well as a fresh bite on her hip. The vet treated the wound and then placed an e-collar on her. We fattened her up and wanted to get her fixed so she would then become adoptable to someone since we were aware that any shelter with a kill policy was out of the question, of course. We kept her until her wound was healed and fattened her up so hopefully the anemia would not be a problem and she could receive the hysterectomy. It took about a little less than a month for her total protein to at least achieve the number which would make it possible to have her fixed. She is about 6 months old and extremely active cat, running all over the house and very curious. The vet surmised that she is part-feral... having been fed by someone with a home and possibly... when the home was sold... maybe the original owner wished to relocate her since they didn't want to bother the new home owner with a cat constantly coming around.

Last Friday we brought her in, they took a blood test after first sedating her since she was very anxious and it she was set to be fixed the same day. They were going to do this after office hours.
          We picked her up later that same night and took her home, fully expecting her to be "out of it" for quite a while and naturally not wishing to eat anything that day and possibly even the next day for some period. It took nearly two days for her to summon up an appetite. At any rate, the ext day we saw that she wasn't acting as we expected. First let me say that we do have some experience with this since many years ago we had two cats at the same time... adopting them when they were only 10 weeks old and we had them both spayed.

About 3 days late she still was not acting even somewhat energetic and she had difficulty getting around when she did move about... it seemed she was very cautious and hesitant. We took her back to the vet and the doctor who operated on her was out of town and we saw his partner. The partner examined her eyes and said her retina showed a response to light. While this may be true...we feel she suffered from hypoxia as a result of the anesthesia... she either received too much anesthesia or was subjected to a prolonged period of it. We believe she suffered some neurological damage and it greatly affected her eyesight. We brought in a seemingly healthy cat of about 6 months and brought home an entirely different cat.

I am heartbroken over this and very, very angry since I do believe something went awry in that vet's operating room. Tomorrow it will be a week and she does not move too far from the couch where she stays and when she does.. it is as though she is walking alongside of me because her vision is impaired.

I just do not know what to do at this point... I am heartsick over this. Has anyone here ever experienced what I am relating?

Thank you for your patience in reading this and any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Bobbie Sue

It has now been 2 weeks and one day following Penny's spaying surgery. I am so very thankful, grateful, pleased and HAPPY to report that she has recovered all of her sight and is able to jump, leap and experience joy once again in the freedom of movement. She ate very sparsely for 3 days following the surgery and she came home effectively blind and helpless. I attribute this to an error in judgment on the part of the veterinarian with either administering too much anesthesia or perhaps having her sustained under for too long a period of time. When I returned to the vet's office with my concerns, the one who performed the surgery was out of town and his nasty partner was present with a ready-made preamble about their always being risks with anesthesia. He examined her eyesight with a flashlight and told me her retina was reactive. Well... even a blind individual can differentiate light from dark and she was blind at that point. Like the "white wall" of silence between doctors when they have demonstrated a lack of judgment, they will not admit their culpability if something goes awry. When the vet who performed the surgery told me that he was using stitches which will dissolve he told me there is no need to return for a checkup. When I did return because of my great concern, his partner had the nerve to charge me $99 for the visit and also for the fluid which he gave her. I outright refused to pay and afterward stormed out. Imagine::::: the nerve the charge someone when they came in with genuine concerns!!! From my own observations from time to time, I see greed often drives people in the helping professions and replaces their sense of decency, empathy and conscience with their quest for money. For sure, I will never return to that vet's practice.

Well... that being said, Penny is cherished and loved by the 3 of us and we are extremely happy that she can again see and her curiosity to explore the apartment continues. We will be taking her for a complete checkup and blood test (and whatever else they may suggest) to determine the state of her health. Since she was part feral, having been on the street perhaps since birth and now estimate her to be roughly 7 months old (give or take) she had a rough beginning in life and is deserving of happiness. We do notice however that she has spurts of energy and activity and then soon after becomes somewhat tired. She still has the e-collar on for a bit longer since her stitches have not yet fallen off and we are fearful she will tug on them. Hopefully when the collar is taken off, this will increase her activity level. We also notice that she yawns constantly and we don't understand what this means so the blood test hopefully will determine what this means.

Originally we had planned on having her adopted but... we love her so very much that we have abandoned that notion. I trust we are an enhancement to her life and I know for sure she is on ours.

Again, I wish to thank all of you who replied to my messages. I am grateful for this wonderful forum and all the caring people.

P.S. I do wonder about the young lady who posted about her cat being in a coma following the spaying procedure. I have checked but do not see any follow-up from her. I hope her cat somehow made a complete recovery and is healthy now. Has anyone heard?

Comment

Thanks for catching us up on your Penny. It sounds as though she is headed for a complete recovery. You should find out which drug was used for anesthesia so she won't ever be faced with that again. I'm not sure what the yawning means but your new vet no doubt can tell you. Sad that the first one's partner could not even accept responsibility for what happened - he must really fear a law suit.

We'd love to see a photo of your little one and later hear stories of her adventures. Sounds like you've made a good match by giving her a forever home and we bless you for that!!
            Karen A/Publicist

Comment

It has now been 2 weeks and one day following Penny's spaying surgery. I am so very thankful, grateful, pleased and HAPPY to report that she has recovered all of her sight and is able to jump, leap and experience joy once again in the freedom of movement. She ate very sparsely for 3 days following the surgery and she came home effectively blind and helpless. I attribute this to an error in judgment on the part of the veterinarian with either administering too much anesthesia or perhaps having her sustained under for too long a period of time. When I returned to the vet's office with my concerns, the one who performed the surgery was out of town and his nasty partner was present with a ready-made preamble about their always being risks with anesthesia. He examined her eyesight with a flashlight and told me her retina was reactive. Well... even a blind individual can differentiate light from dark and she was blind at that point. Like the "white wall" of silence between doctors when they have demonstrated a lack of judgment, they will not admit their culpability if something goes awry. When the vet who performed the surgery told me that he was using stitches which will dissolve he told me there is no need to return for a checkup. When I did return because of my great concern, his partner had the nerve to charge me $99 for the visit and also for the fluid which he gave her. I outright refused to pay and afterward stormed out. Imagine::::: the nerve the charge someone when they came in with genuine concerns!!! From my own observations from time to time, I see greed often drives people in the helping professions and replaces their sense of decency, empathy and conscience with their quest for money. For sure, I will never return to that vet's practice.

Well... that being said, Penny is cherished and loved by the 3 of us and we are extremely happy that she can again see and her curiosity to explore the apartment continues. We will be taking her for a complete checkup and blood test (and whatever else they may suggest) to determine the state of her health. Since she was part feral, having been on the street perhaps since birth and now estimate her to be roughly 7 months old (give or take) she had a rough beginning in life and is deserving of happiness. We do notice however that she has spurts of energy and activity and then soon after becomes somewhat tired. She still has the e-collar on for a bit longer since her stitches have not yet fallen off and we are fearful she will tug on them. Hopefully when the collar is taken off, this will increase her activity level. We also notice that she yawns constantly and we don't understand what this means so the blood test hopefully will determine what this means.

Originally we had planned on having her adopted but... we love her so very much that we have abandoned that notion. I trust we are an enhancement to her life and I know for sure she is on ours.

Again, I wish to thank all of you who replied to my messages. I am grateful for this wonderful forum and all the caring people.

P.S. I do wonder about the young lady who posted about her cat being in a coma following the spaying procedure. I have checked but do not see any follow-up from her. I hope her cat somehow made a complete recovery and is healthy now. Has anyone heard?
              I'm so glad to hear that Penny has recovered. Often, they do. I would find out what anesthesia they used, so that if Penny ever needs surgery again, you can bring up this incident to whoever your vet is at the time. Truthfully, we hear of this here quite often, so I'm not sure it was your vet's fault. Still, the partner had no reason to be nasty to you.

Keep us posted, and at some point post some pictures so that we can officially *meet* her. I'm not sure if there's still a number of posts you have to reach before you can post a picture. It used to be 20.
              Jill Gallo /Manager
              The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Thanks for the update on Penny! I'm so glad to see that she pulled through and is now a curious, happy kitten. Playing then crashing is pretty typical for a kitten, but I've no idea what the yawning is all about.. let us know when she's been to the vet for tests and keep us posted!
                Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Originally posted by JGallo View Post

I'm so glad to hear that Penny has recovered. Often, they do. I would find out what anesthesia they used, so that if Penny ever needs surgery again, you can bring up this incident to whoever your vet is at the time. Truthfully, we hear of this here quite often, so I'm not sure it was your vet's fault. Still, the partner had no reason to be nasty to you.

Keep us posted, and at some point post some pictures so that we can officially *meet* her. I'm not sure if there's still a number of posts you have to reach before you can post a picture. It used to be 20.

Thank you Jill and DianeP for your good wishes. I didn't even think that knowing what type of anesthesia Penny had would be important so I do appreciate that "heads up" about this point. I will be calling Monday to find out but what if.... since I refused to pay for the last visit... they refuse to tell me? My son told me that if this occurs, I should threaten to sue for this important information since it is important to know. My last visit was most unpleasant so I would not put it pass them to not tell me what was used. What, if any, would be my recourse. I know may be concerned prematurely but I am a born worrier so that's why I'm asking in advance. Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you Jill and DianeP for your good wishes. I didn't even think that knowing what type of anesthesia Penny had would be important so I do appreciate that "heads up" about this point. I will be calling Monday to find out but what if.... since I refused to pay for the last visit... they refuse to tell me? My son told me that if this occurs, I should threaten to sue for this important information since it is important to know. My last visit was most unpleasant so I would not put it pass them to not tell me what was used. What, if any, would be my recourse. I know may be concerned prematurely but I am a born worrier so that's why I'm asking in advance. Thanks again!
                    I don't know the legality, but you are entitled to her surgical records. That should include the anesthesia used.
                    Jill Gallo /Manager
                    The Petsforums Management Team

My Albums

Comment

Tell them you plan to complain to the State Veterinary Commission. That should do it.
                      Karen A/Publicist

Comment

I don't know what your legal recourses are, but threatening to sue can sometimes work, and I wouldn't hesitate to make the threat. You might also let some time pass and later see if you can get the info from office staff... awhile dowm the road you could call the office staff and ask for the records.

Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

Working...
                        X