Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anesthesia issues-HELP!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anesthesia issues-HELP!!!

    My Maddux, 2 year old cat, was spayed earlier today. We dropped her at the vet at 8am April 1st and picked her up at 3:30 pm same day. She was alert but obviously very out of it. She was awake for some time in the crate. They suggested we leave her in it for a few hours. We did. Letting her out around 8:30 pm April 1st. She was alert when she came out if crate though stil lit off the anesthesia. Its now1:15 am April 2nd. Her eyes are still VERY dilated (when she opens them). Shes made no real attempt to walk. She tried a couple of times and fell over. Im concerned. She is arousable but since she cuddled up with my husband (her normal spot) shes done nothing but sleep. She hasn’t had a drop to drink since she’s been home. When should I be really worried? I suffer from anxiety disorder so its hard for me to gauge when I’m overreacting and when Im not. I cannot sleep. I keep looking over at her. Im a mess.

  • #2
    I'm not a cat person, but I'd be a little nervous too. Cats can dehydrate pretty quickly.. It sounds to me like she might need some IV fluids. I'd contact your vet. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    The Petsforums Management Team

    My Albums

    Comment


    • #3
      She had sub q fluids at the vet today.

      Comment


      • #4
        She was up and walking clumsily about an hour ago. Maybe just paranoid? She’s very special to me. I fed her from 2 weeks old. Maybe Im freaking out over nothing? Ugh.

        Comment


        • #5
          We always worry about our furkids, as they give us love and we love them. So when something happens that is out of the usual, it is normal to worry. Fortunately, this does not seem to be the more worrisome anesthesia outcome. First, call your vet to let them know what is happening. It should be morning now, and your vet should be open. And you may find out after a full nights sleep, she has bounced back to normal, or near normal. Some cats really seem to get deeper into anesthesia than others. Some bounce back the same day, and others sleep longer than expected before becoming themselves. Please feel free to share your stories on Maddux after things get back to normal, and you have happier times ahead. But do keep us informed.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I did call vet this morning. She was still in heat apparently (not outwardly to us) so that is a factor as well as her being slightly overweight. She is doing better now. More alert, taking in soft food mixed with water. Still sluggish but much better. She had a small BM. Unsure if shes voided urine. Will continue to monitor that closely. Thank you for your kind words and reassurance. I love her so much. I was very scared (and tired)

            Comment


            • #7
              It sounds as though she is moving toward normal. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she is drinking, eating and voiding. And give her lots of loving
              Karen A/Publicist

              Comment


              • #8
                If she’s up walking and eating, she’s likely to recover. Since she’s not blind or seizing, she probably just didn’t need as much anesthesia as she got—people are the same way; there are standard doses, but some need more, some less. I’d ask the vet to make a note of what they used and how she reacted so they won’t forget and anyone else who treats her knows to dose lightly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by amygrub View Post
                  I did call vet this morning. She was still in heat apparently (not outwardly to us) so that is a factor as well as her being slightly overweight. She is doing better now. More alert, taking in soft food mixed with water. Still sluggish but much better. She had a small BM. Unsure if shes voided urine. Will continue to monitor that closely. Thank you for your kind words and reassurance. I love her so much. I was very scared (and tired)
                  Sorry I’m late to this thread. Different kitties react differently to anesthesia, and sometimes they need a bit of help as yours did. Never feel bad about being concerned..you know your kitty better than anyone, so trust your instincts when it comes to her health. I’m so glad she’s doing better. We know here how much you love her...we feel the same! Keep us posted.
                  Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you everyone! She is back to her normal sassy self today. Thank you for understanding my love for her. Sometimes with my anxiety its hard to tell if Im overreacting. My husband is no help in that department

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by amygrub View Post
                      Thank you everyone! She is back to her normal sassy self today. Thank you for understanding my love for her. Sometimes with my anxiety its hard to tell if Im overreacting. My husband is no help in that department
                      Just come here whenever you want to talk about her or have questions. We have endless interests in kitties and endless patience to listen.
                      Karen A/Publicist

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by amygrub View Post
                        Thank you everyone! She is back to her normal sassy self today. Thank you for understanding my love for her. Sometimes with my anxiety its hard to tell if Im overreacting. My husband is no help in that department
                        I'm glad to hear she's doing better. Keep us posted.
                        Jill Gallo /Manager
                        The Petsforums Management Team

                        My Albums

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Shes her normal sassy self today. Yesterday was her last day of pain meds but she seems to be doing just fine today. Her inscisions look good. She was a little overweight so she has a “crater” in her belly

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by amygrub View Post
                            Shes her normal sassy self today. Yesterday was her last day of pain meds but she seems to be doing just fine today. Her inscisions look good. She was a little overweight so she has a “crater” in her belly
                            I'm glad she's feeling better. You must be quite relieved.
                            Jill Gallo /Manager
                            The Petsforums Management Team

                            My Albums

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X