Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU remove bandages??

Default How do YOU remove bandages??

We're dealing with a somewhat difficult problem here - how do you remove bandages from your dog without hurting your pet?

Sadie, as folks probably know, is the dog who just went through surgery for a luxating patella (aka - knees where the kneecap pops out too much). We're having to take bandages off of her on about a daily basis. Her vet recommends taking the bandages off entirely and letting it heal without being covered. Sadie, however, is a bit of a licker, and we don't want her to fuss with the staples holding her incision closed. Plus, her dog bed in her crate has a fleece cover, and I don't want to risk her getting fuzz in the incision from her staples catching on the dog bed, or worse yet, actually catching the dogbed on the staples and being unable to get it loose. So we're keeping the incision covered. Keeping it covered seems to work well for Sadie, EXCEPT for when we need to remove the bandages. They work themselves slightly loose, then you tape it, but the tape only halfway sticks, so that's even MORE stuff stuck to her that you need to remove. Instead, we'd PREFER to remove the old bandages once they get slightly loose, as it seems to take nearly a whole day for that to happen, and then put a new one on.

The problem is the adhesive on bandages is so strong, it hurts her to take it off of her, as it catches on her fur and pulls.

I know other folks around here have had to deal with bandages on their critters - what have you found works to help get them off????

HELP!! Poor Sadie's skin thanks any suggestions!! So far, we've avoided causing her any damage, but it was a close one with the tape we tried yesterday to hold her bandages on. The poor baby was not happy!!

-Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tilly's videos are

There's a product called I believe"No Gunk," available at car shops or my Walgreen's that removes the glue from bandaids once they are off. I wonder if it would help you, once the bandage is loose, to get it off. It seems to dissolve that stuff.
    Karen A/Publicist

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH
    We're dealing with a somewhat difficult problem here - how do you remove bandages from your dog without hurting your pet?

Sadie, as folks probably know, is the dog who just went through surgery for a luxating patella (aka - knees where the kneecap pops out too much). We're having to take bandages off of her on about a daily basis. Her vet recommends taking the bandages off entirely and letting it heal without being covered. Sadie, however, is a bit of a licker, and we don't want her to fuss with the staples holding her incision closed. Plus, her dog bed in her crate has a fleece cover, and I don't want to risk her getting fuzz in the incision from her staples catching on the dog bed, or worse yet, actually catching the dogbed on the staples and being unable to get it loose. So we're keeping the incision covered. Keeping it covered seems to work well for Sadie, EXCEPT for when we need to remove the bandages. They work themselves slightly loose, then you tape it, but the tape only halfway sticks, so that's even MORE stuff stuck to her that you need to remove. Instead, we'd PREFER to remove the old bandages once they get slightly loose, as it seems to take nearly a whole day for that to happen, and then put a new one on.

The problem is the adhesive on bandages is so strong, it hurts her to take it off of her, as it catches on her fur and pulls.

I know other folks around here have had to deal with bandages on their critters - what have you found works to help get them off????

HELP!! Poor Sadie's skin thanks any suggestions!! So far, we've avoided causing her any damage, but it was a close one with the tape we tried yesterday to hold her bandages on. The poor baby was not happy!!

-Mary
    I've used mineral oil in past to loosen bandages. The minerol oil won't hurt the skin and it helps make the gunk on the tapes soften enough to get them off. Of course if you're going to rebandage the wound then you'll need to make sure to get all the oil off otherwise it won't stick. Now when I worked at the vets office we used ether to lose the tape but that's certainly not a do-able thing at home.
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!

Is it possible to secure the dressings with something like Vetrap instead of adhesive tape?

Diane
    and Wilson the sympathetic

Quote Originally Posted by MarciD
    I've used mineral oil in past to loosen bandages. The minerol oil won't hurt the skin and it helps make the gunk on the tapes soften enough to get them off. Of course if you're going to rebandage the wound then you'll need to make sure to get all the oil off otherwise it won't stick. Now when I worked at the vets office we used ether to lose the tape but that's certainly not a do-able thing at home.
    What would you use to get the mineral oil off of the skin, or is just wiping it off likely to work??? I think I could try that without being too worried about her licking the skin afterwards.

Yeah, all outta ether, so that one's not possible

Thanks!!
    -Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Quote Originally Posted by DianeM
    Is it possible to secure the dressings with something like Vetrap instead of adhesive tape?

Diane
    and Wilson the sympathetic
    Not really, with it being her knee - it'd be hard for me to wrap it well enough to hold for eight hours or more when we're at work this week. Plus, I need to have more of her skin visible, so I can keep an eye on the bruising and swelling, which comes and goes right now (well, the swelling comes and goes, not the bruising). I'd be concerned that wrapping it while it's not swollen will cause problems when it starts to swell. Thankfully, icing it and massaging it is keeping the swelling down for the most part, but I'd be afraid to put anything that might constrict on it.

Good idea for later, though, when we're not as worried about the swelling.

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Quote Originally Posted by KarenA
    There's a product called I believe"No Gunk," available at car shops or my Walgreen's that removes the glue from bandaids once they are off. I wonder if it would help you, once the bandage is loose, to get it off. It seems to dissolve that stuff.
    I've got some of that, but I'd worry about her licking it.... I'll have to check the ingredients list if the mineral oil suggestion doesn't work.

Thanks, though!

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Just a thought, but perhaps 3% hydrogen peroxide might work. I know it works to dissolve blood on bandages so they can be removed without tearing the scab. Can't remember if it also works on adhesives or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH
    What would you use to get the mineral oil off of the skin, or is just wiping it off likely to work??? I think I could try that without being too worried about her licking the skin afterwards.

Yeah, all outta ether, so that one's not possible

Thanks!!
    -Mary
    A little mild soap with some water should wash off the mineral oil ... at least anything that couldn't be wiped off. What I like about using the mineral oil is that if they do lick it there's going to be no harm done. And if you don't have mineral oil a little cooking oil will work just fine too. Again, no harm if they do happen to lick it.
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!

HI Mary
    Did the vet ever say what caused Sadie's knee to go wrong in the first place?
    Just interested in reading that Tilly had the same op.
    Julia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast