Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Bleeding from anus

Exclamation Cat Bleeding from anus

Hi,
    For the past little while i have noticed my cat pooping on the floor out side her kitty litter box. I have asked the vet about it, and they said it could have been a number of things, and she had blood work done and nothing showed up. So i have tried everything, Changing the kitty litter, scooping it everytime it was used, moving it to a different location. And she is still pooping on the floor where the kitty litter use to be. When i returned home from work the other day, I noticed a 'line' on the carpet...it looked brownish in color and was very light. I checked both cats bums and everything seemed normal. about an hour ago, my cat roxie, climbed up on me and sat on my lap. when she got up i noticed blood on my pants, and when i took a look at her bum, there was blood on her anus, and it looked a little swollen. I was wondering what i should do about this. Since i had her to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they said everything is fine, im not really sure what to do. She is completley normal, happy, loving. Following me around, ect. She looks at me and meows a little more then normal though. but overall she doesnt seemed bothered by it. any sugestions on what may be wrong would be greatly appriciated!!!!! thank you!
    (She is about 1 and a half years old and was spayed about a month ago)

I just took another look at her bum, and i touched it, and it is very hard and dry to the touch. She didnt seem to mind me touching it. I think maybe she has a sore anus?? Im not really sure.
    Last edited by ~Jennifer~; 02-11-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Hi Jennifer,
    I would definitely recommend taking your cat to the vet. Tell him/her exactly what you've told us so the vet can get a clear picture of what is happening.

Blood from the anus can have many causes - anything from severe constipation to some sort of blockage in the intestinal tract - and it would be best if your vet can run the proper tests to determine what can be done to help her.

Even though you saw the vet only two weeks ago things can change in a hurry and your vet would rather see her again than wait & possibly delay treatment that could ease her discomfort.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Marg Little, Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
    - Mark Twain

I agree that a vet visit is necessary. Could be an impacted anal gland.

If ti were only blood on the feces, then it could be a result of stress (and yes, cats can get stressed). But anal bleeding calls for a vet visit.

It will do two things. It will help your kitty, and make you feel better knowing what the problem is.

i checked her poop and there is no blood or anything. it seemeed normal, just very hard. It is Sunday, so if i were to take her to the vet today it would be very expensive. Do you think it would be ok to wait until tomorrow?? or is this too serious to wait?? her poor little bum looks so sore.

My guess is it can wait for tomorrow (I am not a vet). When she started pooping outside the box it was a message.. she was having discomfort with defecation and she was blaming the box. Do tell the vet the whole story and get them to check her out (you might bring a stool sample as well).

Let us know how she's doing .. she's a cutie kittie
    Karen A/Publicist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

While I am not a vet, I tend to agree. It can probably wait until tomorrow. And bring a stool sample along for the vet to check.

(If she is having trouble, and defecation hurts, she will associate the litter box with pain, and avoid it......)

Do you think there is a possibility it could be an anal prolapse?? and i was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their cat before?

In the land of Microsoft, mocha, and language...we brake for Starbucks.

I'm not sure about the prolapse, but you might also want to consider another vet if they keep telling you nothing is wrong. I wonder if she has a contact allergy to the cat litter? Or perhaps impacted anal glands, or constipation.

Yasmine
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author

I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar,
    Luna ,
    Keeter ,
    Tara
    , Circe

Quote Originally Posted by ~Jennifer~
    Do you think there is a possibility it could be an anal prolapse?? and i was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their cat before?
    If her stool is hard an her anus is sore, it sounds like she might be constipated -- I am also NOT a vet, so you need to have your vet consider this possibility. It fits with her pooping outside the box -- if it's painful for her to poop, she'll blame the box and go elsewhere. There are a lot of things you can do to help constipation, including adding oil or fiber to her diet. But first you need to know exactly what's going on. When you had her in before did they take xrays?

Please be sure to let us know what the vet says!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Adding my voice to the others, hope you took Roxie to the vet today, along with a stool sample. Please do let us know how it turns out, and if we can be any more help.

Gail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast