Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: disposal of uneaten cat food

Default disposal of uneaten cat food

What do you do with your leftover cat food? I used to just throw it away, none of my cats have ever been garbage diggers until the advent of Mazy. But if I put discarded cat food in the trash, Mazy will make a mess digging it out. (My trash is in a closed cupboard and hung elevated, but she manages, just the same)

Even if I pack the uneaten food into an empty milk carton she still tears the trash to shreds, the little beast. Does anyone else have other tricks? I wonder if flushing it would affect the septic in an adverse way?

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by GailS
    What do you do with your leftover cat food? I used to just throw it away, none of my cats have ever been garbage diggers until the advent of Mazy. But if I put discarded cat food in the trash, Mazy will make a mess digging it out. (My trash is in a closed cupboard and hung elevated, but she manages, just the same)

Even if I pack the uneaten food into an empty milk carton she still tears the trash to shreds, the little beast. Does anyone else have other tricks? I wonder if flushing it would affect the septic in an adverse way?

Gail
    I'm sure it is biodegradable so flushing it should cause no problems.. however, I do not know a lot about septic tanks..
    Karen A/Publicist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You might look into getting one of those child latches for the cabinet. I had to do that for my cabinets in the kitchen to stop them from opening and going in.

Gail
    I used to put mine out for the ferals and other wild animals, but I stopped doing that and now just put it in the trash.

--- Chris

Too much food that hasn't been processed by the digestive system can sometimes foul up a septic system. I'd put it in the trash rather than try to flush it.
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gail
    I put it in the garbage disposal -- am I the only one that has one of those?
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

I'm a garbage disposal stuffer & quarterly purchaser of Drano professional strength

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by calicokitty
    You might look into getting one of those child latches for the cabinet. I had to do that for my cabinets in the kitchen to stop them from opening and going in.
    well my goodness why didn't I THINK of that?! LOL! I just installed a sliding lock on the etegare cabinet, I can put another one, or a hook and eye, on the trash cupboard. Thanks! I won't use child proof though, those are too difficult for my arhtritic hands to manipulate. A simple hook and eye will suffce. This is the fourth door or cupbard that will have had a lock against Mazy added.

Gail

Actually, mine are a simple friction latch, and you press down on the finger and it no longer pushes against the top piece. This is not like the child proof pill bottles. For instance:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ba...4&Go.y=8&Go=Go

Gail
    I throw out at least 1/4 a tin every day....it doesn't keep - even WITH the plastic lids on. It mildews in 24 hours, and the smell goes 'off'.

I just put it in a plastic garbage bag, tie the bag up, and throw it in the dumpster every day.

Try tying up your garbage bags, and put the whole thing in a box, or one of the plastic pails tht litter or detergent comes in. A huge tupperware would do as well. Cats can't open those.
    Home of the Northern Mews: Boo and Cookie Arabella (from Yukon) & Orange Julius Caesar (from Alaska)
    Remembering Latte (
    2000-2012), Bali (
    1998-2011)

"I came. I saw. I conquered."
    Orange Julius Caesar, before meeting Boo

Facebook:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast