Thread: My cat drag his butt across carpet

Default My cat drag his butt across carpet

Hi,

I recently got a 6 yr old cat from my sister. I noticed a strange behavior after he uses the litterbox. He would bolt out of the litterbox and sit on the carpet. Then he would drag his butt several feet on the carpet. This doesn't occur very often. He only do that a few times so I'm not too concerned but I'm curious why he did that. I asked my sister about this behavior and she said the vet told her some cat like to be extra clean so they do that drag-butt-across-floor behavior. Has anyone else noticed their cat that do that? Is there anything you can to do discourage it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiemeister
    Hi,

I recently got a 6 yr old cat from my sister. I noticed a strange behavior after he uses the litterbox. He would bolt out of the litterbox and sit on the carpet. Then he would drag his butt several feet on the carpet. This doesn't occur very often. He only do that a few times so I'm not too concerned but I'm curious why he did that. I asked my sister about this behavior and she said the vet told her some cat like to be extra clean so they do that drag-butt-across-floor behavior. Has anyone else noticed their cat that do that? Is there anything you can to do discourage it?

Your cat needs a vet visit. Best guess is that his anal glands are impacted .. he's trying to relieve an itch, not wipe himself. You did well to notice this. Cleaning out the anal glands is a smelly job and not one you'd want to try on your own. Cats don't complain when they're ill.. but they often give you clues so you have to be observant.

Let us know how he's doing. What's his name?

Oh, I'm guessing it's Mookie
    Karen A/Publicist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiemeister
    Hi,

Hi and welcome to the forum!! Have you checked the cat to see if there's any stool hanging on to his rear? Sometimes if there's hair in the intestines the stool won't come all the way out and there'll be a little still attached. If it appears clean, then a check for the anal glans as Karen suggested is in order.

Diane