Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oregano Oil

Smile Oregano Oil

Has anyone out there used Oregano Oil for their pets??? It is suppose to be an incredible antioxidant. It is also used to treat Parvo, inflammation, intestinal problems and worms. I would like feedback as to experiences with Oregano Oil! By the way, it is also good for humans....It is supposed to be as strong as penicillin in treating infections.

Quote Originally Posted by broadwaybones View Post
    Has anyone out there used Oregano Oil for their pets??? It is suppose to be an incredible antioxidant. It is also used to treat Parvo, inflammation, intestinal problems and worms. I would like feedback as to experiences with Oregano Oil! By the way, it is also good for humans....It is supposed to be as strong as penicillin in treating infections.
    Never heard of it, but I doubt any one product could do all of that.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the land of Microsoft, mocha, and language...we brake for Starbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JGallo View Post
    Never heard of it, but I doubt any one product could do all of that.
    Actually, research looks very promising with oil of oregano for a number of conditions: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1011065609.htm

Yazza
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.

NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author

I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Luna ,
    Keeter ,
    Tara
    , Circe

Intersting. I've never heard of it. But I wouldn't use it in lieu of good medical advice, and only under a doctor's (or vet's) supervision if there's any sort of infection or other serious condition.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Herbal remedies can be toxic if used by people who don't really understand how they work, so I wouldn't use them in lieu of good vet advice.

Lots of things are supposed to be antioxidants - even premium pet food has 'antioxidants'. So I wouldn't go to Oregano Oil for it.

Besides, I grow oregano and my cats hate the smell and won't go near it.
    Home of Boo and Cookie Arabella (from Yukon) & Orange Julius Caesar (from Alaska)
    Remembering Latte (
    2000-2012), Bali (
    1998-2011)

"I came. I saw. I conquered."
    Orange Julius Caesar, before meeting Boo

Never trust a product that can do everything - it can't.

BUT, that being said, I can see if you talk with your vet about it, it could be good to add to the critter's food. It could have some benefits.

Talk to your vet about these things before using them with your pets, just to be on the safe side. There's many chemicals and supplements out there that appear to be great, then eventually research catches up and investigates them, only to find there's hidden problems. It's always best to have your vet know you're using such products in case this stuff shows up in the research. It's possible it could be counteracting medication your pet already takes and needs.

I'm not saying don't use it, I'm just saying be cautious. There's a difference. A lot of people like to add certain oils to a dog or cat's food for nutritional purposes, and in my opinion, oregano oil would be right in line with that kind of thing. But if research shows that it's bad for dogs or cats, and you're already giving it to your animals, wouldn't you prefer your vet told you that? So be cautious, and make sure to talk it over with your vet in case of these hidden dangers.

-Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

Tilly's videos are

I've used it for myself as a sort of echinacea when I was pretty sick. It worked but it was frankly the worst tasting thing I think I've ever put into my mouth!!
    Karen A/Publicist

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine View Post
    Actually, research looks very promising with oil of oregano for a number of conditions: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1011065609.htm

Yazza
    Interesting article. I haven't ever heard of it before. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. If it's good against drug resistant bacteria, perhaps it's a pathway to something new, a bigger and badder penicillin.

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Siena View Post
    Herbal remedies can be toxic if used by people who don't really understand how they work, so I wouldn't use them in lieu of good vet advice.

Lots of things are supposed to be antioxidants - even premium pet food has 'antioxidants'. So I wouldn't go to Oregano Oil for it.

Besides, I grow oregano and my cats hate the smell and won't go near it.
    All the things I have read state that it is not toxic. There has not been any cases of this reported. I like the preservative aspect of the oregano oil. This would give all natural pet food companies (real ones!) to move from the vitamin preservatives which come from China. There currently are some high end foods already using oregano oil as a preservative. I would liek consumer feedback from any one who has medicinally used Oregano Oil or who has tried Wenaewe foods!

All the things I have read state that it is not toxic. There has not been any cases of this reported. I like the preservative aspect of the oregano oil. This would give all natural pet food companies (real ones!) to move from the vitamin preservatives which come from China. There currently are some high end foods already using oregano oil as a preservative. I would liek consumer feedback from any one who has medicinally used Oregano Oil or who has tried Wenaewe foods!
    It looks like pretty interesting food - take a look at their product info here - but it looks like they use just oregano, not oregano oil. Either way, it looks like a good dog food. Although it'd be nice to see more company info - it's always better to see AAFCO info, which I'm not seeing there. I don't know if I'd feed it after reading more on that website - it's made in Uruguay, South America, and they don't seem to have put it through any AAFCO trials yet or even talk about those nutritional guidelines.

-Mary
    Last edited by MaryH; 07-12-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Read a little more on Dellnatura's site
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast