Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure sores on dogs's elbows and hocks

Default Pressure sores on dogs's elbows and hocks

Today, while grooming Tilly, I noticed she's developing pressure sores or calluses on her elbows and hocks. They must still be in the early stages, because they're shedding a lot of skin, and there's still hair on them, but I can tell the hair is thinning already on them (that's how I noticed - I saw a bald patch on her leg, and investigated!!).

The standard response of "provide the dog with soft bedding" is laughable - right now, there are two dog beds in the livingroom with not a dog on them, a couch, again with no dog on it, and in our bedroom there's two rugs for the dogs and a bed, as well as OUR bed, and there's a dogbed in the kitchen, too. *sigh* But here they are, both lying on the hardwood floor. Oh wait, let me amend that - the younger dog who doesn't have pressure sores forming just decided to nap in a dog bed here in the livingroom!!!

So now I'm wondering if there's anything I can put on them to soften up the skin, clean it up a little, get all the dead skin off?

We're seeing the vet on tuesday, anyway, but it'd be nice to know of a way to treat this before then - then it'd be one less thing to worry about!! It's aggravating, because this is something I DO know about how to take care of with a human - soak it in warm water, then exfoliate like mad with something like cornhusker's lotion or other products. That works wonders on my calluses.

-Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tilly's videos are

Tilly probably wouldn't enjoy exfoliation much! And of course you don't lick yourself, so wouldn't be likely to ingest anything like that, where as Tilly MIGHT..

How about using some vaseline on the spots to keep them soft, until you see the vet? Is vaseline as safe for dogs as it is for cats? I don't know how much that would interfere in Tilly getting up from the floor, if the vaseline kind of spreads around, though....

I'll be interested to hear what the vet says to do about this.

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    Today, while grooming Tilly, I noticed she's developing pressure sores or calluses on her elbows and hocks. They must still be in the early stages, because they're shedding a lot of skin, and there's still hair on them, but I can tell the hair is thinning already on them (that's how I noticed - I saw a bald patch on her leg, and investigated!!).

The standard response of "provide the dog with soft bedding" is laughable - right now, there are two dog beds in the livingroom with not a dog on them, a couch, again with no dog on it, and in our bedroom there's two rugs for the dogs and a bed, as well as OUR bed, and there's a dogbed in the kitchen, too. *sigh* But here they are, both lying on the hardwood floor. Oh wait, let me amend that - the younger dog who doesn't have pressure sores forming just decided to nap in a dog bed here in the livingroom!!!

So now I'm wondering if there's anything I can put on them to soften up the skin, clean it up a little, get all the dead skin off?

We're seeing the vet on tuesday, anyway, but it'd be nice to know of a way to treat this before then - then it'd be one less thing to worry about!! It's aggravating, because this is something I DO know about how to take care of with a human - soak it in warm water, then exfoliate like mad with something like cornhusker's lotion or other products. That works wonders on my calluses.

-Mary
    I'm not sure what can be done about them, Mary. Amy got one really bad one after being in the hospital those 12 nights. To this day, the skin is still black there, and no hair has grown back. We were putting anti bacterial cream on it, and we've put vitamin A&D oinment on it. I think it comes with old age in dogs, and I'm not sure much can be done about it. I mentioned Amy's to our vet, and was just told not to worry about them. I notice most older dogs do have them.

I'll be interested to hear what your vet says.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

Quote Originally Posted by JGallo View Post
    I'm not sure what can be done about them, Mary. Amy got one really bad one after being in the hospital those 12 nights. To this day, the skin is still black there, and no hair has grown back. We were putting anti bacterial cream on it, and we've put vitamin A&D oinment on it. I think it comes with old age in dogs, and I'm not sure much can be done about it. I mentioned Amy's to our vet, and was just told not to worry about them. I notice most older dogs do have them.

I'll be interested to hear what your vet says.
    That's what I'm expecting the vet to say, too, which is why I'm curious as to whether anyone here has ever treated them. They don't LOOK that bad yet, so I'm thinking if I can start to counteract them now, they won't get to the stage of being like Amy's is. We had a dog years ago who had them, and they were just awful looking - she had them on both elbows, and they were SOLID feeling.

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Quote Originally Posted by GailS View Post
    Tilly probably wouldn't enjoy exfoliation much! And of course you don't lick yourself, so wouldn't be likely to ingest anything like that, where as Tilly MIGHT..

How about using some vaseline on the spots to keep them soft, until you see the vet? Is vaseline as safe for dogs as it is for cats? I don't know how much that would interfere in Tilly getting up from the floor, if the vaseline kind of spreads around, though....

I'll be interested to hear what the vet says to do about this.

Gail
    That's my concern, too - anything I use, I have to expect her to ingest by licking at it. Yesterday I did put a little vaseline-type lip balm on her elbows, figuring it would be fairly safe, but I haven't noticed a difference yet.

I did put a different dog bed in the livingroom - we won a HUGE dog bed in a raffle a few years ago, it's this great big monstrosity made out of mesh over a polyurethane tube frame, looks hideous, so I had moved it into storage due to our landlady looking to sell the house. Tilly likes that bed, as she can get a really good reach up to me from it as I'm sitting at my desk, as it's about ten inches high. I still have to find the right-sized box to give her a step up onto it, but she already seems to be enjoying having that bed back. So I'm hoping this bed will get her off the floor again, and maybe reduce some of that callus forming. And maybe the mesh will do some exfoliating!!! Although I doubt it - it's a fairly tight mesh. It's definitely a comfy bed - Tilly's been on it twice already this morning, and Sadie's on it at the moment.

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Our last dog, Nicky, had them on both elbows and our vet advised leaving them alone. She said that to exfoliate them would only make matters worse as those callouses served to protect his elbows and to remove them might cause sores to develop.

Although Nicky had a broad range of soft places to sleep he always preferred the hard cool tile floors and we're seeing the same habits forming in our current pup Pepin. Pepin much prefers to sleep in one of the bathrooms (behind the toilet of all places) than to sleep on a comfy couch or bed.

They do have minds of their own don't they!
    Marg Little, Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MargL View Post
    Our last dog, Nicky, had them on both elbows and our vet advised leaving them alone. She said that to exfoliate them would only make matters worse as those callouses served to protect his elbows and to remove them might cause sores to develop.

Although Nicky had a broad range of soft places to sleep he always preferred the hard cool tile floors and we're seeing the same habits forming in our current pup Pepin. Pepin much prefers to sleep in one of the bathrooms (behind the toilet of all places) than to sleep on a comfy couch or bed.

They do have minds of their own don't they!
    Amy likes to sleep on the bathroom floor too, especially in the summer. She can't fit behind the toilet though.
    How is the little Pepin? Is he year old yet?
    Jill Gallo /Manager

Yeah, I'm starting to think that the calluses are going to become whatever they become, what with everything else Tilly has going on right now - on friday, we realized Tilly had licked her left front paw enough to cause herself a sore. And since THAT I can't do anything about until we see the vet, I've been focusing on something I CAN do at least a little bit on - the calluses. So today I gave her a bath with an oatmeal shampoo, hoping to moisturize her skin a bit (she needed a bath anyway).

*sigh* I am beginning to really worry about her - when she was first beginning to lick the left foot obessively, her vet said it was probably allergies, but I REALLY doubt they'd cause her to lick a hole in her skin. In only one spot, on only one foot. The rest of her feet, she leaves alone.

But we'll get that looked at on Tuesday, and get a recheck on the urinary tract infection (I'm not entirely convinced it's gone), and maybe get a blood recheck, too.

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that the calluses are going to become whatever they become, what with everything else Tilly has going on right now - on friday, we realized Tilly had licked her left front paw enough to cause herself a sore. And since THAT I can't do anything about until we see the vet, I've been focusing on something I CAN do at least a little bit on - the calluses. So today I gave her a bath with an oatmeal shampoo, hoping to moisturize her skin a bit (she needed a bath anyway).

*sigh* I am beginning to really worry about her - when she was first beginning to lick the left foot obessively, her vet said it was probably allergies, but I REALLY doubt they'd cause her to lick a hole in her skin. In only one spot, on only one foot. The rest of her feet, she leaves alone.

But we'll get that looked at on Tuesday, and get a recheck on the urinary tract infection (I'm not entirely convinced it's gone), and maybe get a blood recheck, too.

-Mary
    Mary,

Amy did the same thing when she had the ITP. Her sore though, was one of the ones on her elbow that she got from laying down too much. She licked it until she had a nice hole in her elbow. Really, it was gross. I would take 20 minutes wrapping it, and she'd have the wrapping off in less than 2 minutes.

My last dog licked herself bare on one paw, and the vet said it was like obsessive behavior.
    Hopefully Tilly's vet visit will be pretty uneventful. Let us know how she's doing.
    Last edited by JGallo; 10-11-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

When I called in to a pet show, they gave me a bunch of gifts including "Triple-Pet" All natural skin cream which is supposed to soothe hot spots, promote rapid healing, kill germs and which is drug and alcohol free. Haven't had to try it on the cats but perhaps that's a product that could help.
    Karen A/Publicist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast